Is this boat overloaded?

USFBA

Reaction score
Is this boat overloaded?  Spotted on GLSM on Memorial Day weekend 2015.  Watercraft Officer stopped the boat.  Owner said it was rated for 15 and he only had 12 on board.  All had life jackets available.  Officer discussed weight vs. headcount and owner left the lake.  Looked overloaded to me.  Your thoughts?

I would say yes ,but not as bad as this one 

IMG_8980.jpg

That's just a news article waiting to be written there Jack. Idiots die from drinking, overloading, drowning, and getting their skulls chopped open from prop .......  :angry:

The boat will only float as long as the pontoons are still above water. After that, just a little more weight, and down she goes.

Now someone isn't going to magically appear on board and sink it, but riding that low in the water, a good canon ball by Link and the wave would sink it!

Or a wave from any passing boat.

That's the nice thing about a pontoon. Once it sinks and some weight floats off, it will pop back up. It will be a dangerous mess, but you'll get your boat back. Most other boats will take on water and stay submerged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say yes ,but not as bad as this one

IMG_8980.jpg
Every person on that boat is an idiot, not just the driver. You gotta take some self responsibility, even if you've been drinking a lot, or you'll be in the Darwin awards. Speaking of that, when do those come out again?

Looks like a fun boat Jack! You can see the 3 officers w/the orange vests in the background off the stern. The people don't look too concerned w/the water already coming over.....

I didn't notice the 3 in orange ,I was looking at something else  :D

I just zoomed in ,the officer on the far right,looks like he has a drink in his hand .The officer on the left is on the radio .

I think it is a phone in his hand on the right.

I think they are in their own boat as they appear too far outside the toon to be on it, the front boat is just hiding theirs in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes definitely in their own boat!

Every person on that boat is an idiot, not just the driver. You gotta take some self responsibility, even if you've been drinking a lot, or you'll be in the Darwin awards. Speaking of that, when do those come out again?
I think that's more than likely just a swimming platform, probably no propulsion and anchored in place.   Worst thing that could happen would be a few kids slide off and lose a few beers.

Being the good Samaritan that I am, however, if I saw this scene unfolding on our lake I would be obligated to rescue some of the passengers from impending doom.  Ladies first, of course.  I have capacity for 10 on the 21SLX, and to save as many as possible, I'm sure my wife would volunteer to stay on shore.  One piece swimsuits are a requirement on our boat, however.  Tops or bottoms, their choice.

I'm not so sure about the swimming platform idea, that's a lot of coolers to get out there. PLUS, if you look just to the left of the white bikini bottoms............ok quit staring, now look to THE LEFT , almost looks like a motor cowling poking up.

Most definitely a pontoon boat. There is a throttle quadrant on top of the helm. Wonder were this was?

I think the article had a typo. Instead of blew a 0, I think the 0 was intended to be their IQ.

What a bunch of idiots. There's still room for another cooler and keg. The real give away is that there are no blenders churning. Seems to remind me of a song, "Here We Are."

Cheers, Steve

Looks like a damned fun day on the water if you ask me!

What a bunch of idiots. There's still room for another cooler and keg. The real give away is that there are no blenders churning. Seems to remind me of a song, "Here We Are."

Cheers, Steve
I agree.  A big bunch of idiots.  If they had put their coolers aft instead of on the bow they would have been fine.

Reactions: ssc
"There were no injuries in the incident and no one was charged. The person who was allegedly driving the pontoon blew 0 on a breathalyzer test."

Can't believe a citation wasn't issued... wow, try that on Lake Murray

Steve

How can no one get charged when the pontoon is over capacity by double?  I count at least 26 and there's now way the capacity is more than 12.

Back