Ivory Vinyl black spots

Mudbug

Reaction score
Has anyone else had problems with the Ivory vinyl developing massive black spots? My 2009 Benny has numerous places that has very bad black spots and I don't think it's mold and mildew as I have used every conceivable product to try and clean it, but nothing works. I tried, the 10 parts water to 2 parts Bleach as recommended by Bennington, magic eraser, Fantastic, soap and water, Starbrite Mold & Mildew to name a few.

The dealer looked at it last year and said it was mold, but that dealer has since quit servicing Benningtons, and the nearest one to me now is 3 hours away.

I personally think it is the vinyl itself, as it is only on the ivory part and not on the darker brown and blue and shown in the photos.

Any suggestions welcome.

benny seat 1.jpg

Wow...that's quite something and not in a good way.

I have no idea what it is, but to the dealer's credit - that IS exactly what mold or mildew looks like. If someone showed me that, and I hadn't read your post, I would have said mold and would have recommended mold treatments. Everything about those stains looks like a spore based something or other alive and thriving.

Yup! That's mildew, mold whatever you want to call it.......put the bleach/water concoction in a spray bottle.......spray it on and watch it disappear, rinse and wipe clean. If it doesn't get it the first time.........repeat, repeat, repeat! It'll work! I've done it numerous times over the years!

I've been outside most of the afternoon trying to get stains off my Ivory upholstery.  Most of the stains are purple pin size spider droppings. 

But the lower cushion sides where they meet the seat backs are brown--mud colored.  I went to Dollar General to get a big supply of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers--a microabrasive product.  It's as good as I've got to remove stains. 

I really wish that someone would find a source for vinyl stain in Bennington's standard colors--in case we need to cover such stains.  Upholsterers use the stuff all the time, and they can go as far as completely change the color of any vinyl or leather upholstery.  If my upholstery gets to looking too bad, I'll see if Leatherique can custom match an Ivory stain.  I've been told it's an Aston Martin seat color, and they may already have a color code mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the link and get the product.  I have used it on two boats and it works.  I sold our oldest pontoon for $2,000 more than I was going to price it at because the vinyl cleaned up so well.  I don't work for them but i recommend and use their products. 

I too found black spots on the box pleats where two seat pads/backs meet.  After using Zep Orange Degreaser and Magic Erasers, I got the vinyl as clean as possible. 

The black spots look like they're down in the vinyl.  I don't think bleach water would do a thing. 

I'll just put 303 vinyl protectent on there and be glad it's not worse than it is.

Back