Jumpstart question

Trovatore

Reaction score
Hi, everyone -

I'm about to use my 2018 22 SSRX again after 9-months of complete inactivity.

I got a good jump starter should I need it...but I'm new to jump starting on a boat.

My very generic Bennington manual says I've got a negative ground electrical system...and the instructions that came with the jump starter say this means I need to connect the positive cable on the jump starter to the positive terminal on the battery, and then connect the negative jump starter cable to the chassis, or other metal hunk of the boat.

With cars, I haven't connected like that for a jump start since I used my dad's 1966 Plymouth Valiant, haha!

I checked Youtube vids, and saw many examples of people jump starting their boats, and ALL used what I would call the 'standard method' - connecting both jump starter cables to both terminals on the battery, just like I've done many times on (modern) cars.

Just curious for your thoughts. Again, my boat is a 2018 SSRX.

Thanks in advance!

The final jumper connection can give a spark because you've completed the circuit. You don't want that spark to be near the battery since batteries can give off hydrogen gas. Which goes boom.

Blow on the battery 10 times before you hook it up. Let us know what your wife says when she sees you doing that.

Got it, thanks.

I do know that there is a power switch on the jump starter that is only turned on when both clamps are on the terminals. The power switch is turned off prior to removing the clips...but even with that, the instructions tell you which clamp to disconnect first, so the power switch doesn't seem to be the final word in staying safe.

Thanks again!

Lawyers.

Before I found out that I had a dead cell in my boat battery last year I had jump started the battery with a portable jump pack. Without thinking I used the old method of positive-positive terminal negative-negative terminal and it started right up. I disconnected the jump pack and we were on our way........I know I should have put the negative cable from the jump pack to an unpainted metal surface.

Hi, everyone -

I'm about to use my 2018 22 SSRX again after 9-months of complete inactivity.

I got a good jump starter should I need it...but I'm new to jump starting on a boat.

My very generic Bennington manual says I've got a negative ground electrical system...and the instructions that came with the jump starter say this means I need to connect the positive cable on the jump starter to the positive terminal on the battery, and then connect the negative jump starter cable to the chassis, or other metal hunk of the boat.

With cars, I haven't connected like that for a jump start since I used my dad's 1966 Plymouth Valiant, haha!

I checked Youtube vids, and saw many examples of people jump starting their boats, and ALL used what I would call the 'standard method' - connecting both jump starter cables to both terminals on the battery, just like I've done many times on (modern) cars.

Just curious for your thoughts. Again, my boat is a 2018 SSRX.

Thanks in advance!
You can do it like you did in 1966 ! Just hook up the Positive first! The Negative will not Spark ! (that's why it is called Negative) Then unhook Negative first after it start's. Then Blow on it 10 times!

You can do it like you did in 1966 ! Just hook up the Positive first! The Negative will not Spark ! (that's why it is called Negative) Then unhook Negative first after it start's. Then Blow on it 10 times!

I've jump started batteries in cars and boats for more than 40 years. (Started out driving a wrecker in high school.) I was taught by my dad to do it in this order: positive of the good battery to positive of the dead battery, then negative of the good battery to a ground on the vehicle / boat with the bad battery.

Kaydano explains it correctly above.

It's been my experience that when you make the final connection directly to the negative terminal on the dead battery, you get a spark. That's why you connect to an alternate location that is grounded. You should get the same small spark, but it will be away from the potentially explosive gases given off by the battery. (Reverse the process to disconnect.)

Using a jump start box that is turned off until all the connections are made is probably OK too.

Wow I never knew their was a right and wrong way to hook Pos to Pos and Neg to Neg. But that's great info Pos first and then Neg I'm interested to see if that results in no Micro Spark at the battery. I knew knew a micro spark could ever result in anything?
I'm a Spark loving Dude! I like when in "The movies" The bad guy makes the jumper cables spark before he hooks them up to the guy he is gonna zap! :)

Back