Just got a box anchor

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Our 20 pound, rubber coated Navy anchor is not very good on our sandy bottom lake in any stiff wind. So, I purchased a box anchor on Amazon that everybody raves about. I was unsure what size to get... baby, small, or large. So I bought the large thinking overkill is better than not enough. It is over 27 pounds and is a beast! My boat is only a 20 foot pontoon and this thing held like I was tied at the dock. I don't even have to use any rode with it, the long connector pole acts as a chain. I think I totally overbought the size... the large is rated for a 40 foot offshore boat! Sheesh. Let this be a heads up for those of you thinking about switching to a box anchor. I think you could go up to a 25 foot tritoon and still use the 'small' size box anchor. Thankfully, it folds flat and comes in a nice sturdy bag so it fits under the seat. The only problem is, my wife can't pull the anchor up anymore. I have to do it now. It really is that heavy, especially covered in sand or mud, depending on your bottom. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E1Z51Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_WGPH77QWTJEH
RVGP6W0X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
20210519_184816.jpg

20210519_185137.jpg

Yes, you have plenty of anchor. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a 30 foot Q model :)

I have a small box anchor for my 23 ft and it holds my boat great.

Love the box anchor, after trying a few other types without success or problems got the box anchor and will probably never buy any other type

About anchors

I got the digger anchor today. Looks like 5-1 rode is recommended, 6-1 in wind. So I’ll need some 100’ line for it.
My 20lb mushroom anchor stores nice in the front seat storage. But this is larger. Does anyone store their anchors in the floor storage or does it bang around when underway?

Trying to see where people like to store their anchors

Have a digger now but this is where ours is.

DA524DD3-4796-44B1-9638-A44AE56EBE6E.jpeg

Yes, you have plenty of anchor. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a 30 foot Q model :)

I have a small box anchor for my 23 ft and it holds my boat great.
I also have the small for a 23 ft . I have the baby also for the stern on windy days

Having the baby anchor for the stern would be nice/needed if you anchor much. I've thought about getting one, but I don't anchor that often.

About anchors

I got the digger anchor today. Looks like 5-1 rode is recommended, 6-1 in wind. So I’ll need some 100’ line for it.
My 20lb mushroom anchor stores nice in the front seat storage. But this is larger. Does anyone store their anchors in the floor storage or does it bang around when underway?

Trying to see where people like to store their anchors
It'll easily fit in either front corner seat plus your anchor line. Maybe the recommendations have changed since I bought mine in 2008. But the most rode I've ever used is 3 to 1. (2 to 1 was the norm)

It'll easily fit in either front corner seat plus your anchor line. Maybe the recommendations have changed since I bought mine in 2008. But the most rode I've ever used is 3 to 1. (2 to 1 was the norm)
The literature that came with the digger anchor, from digger, said they recommend 5-1 and 6-1 now. Seems like a bunch but I figure might as well buy 100’ and use what’s necessary to get a good hold.
I do feel confident that this 15lb digger on the front and a 20lb mushroom on the stern (to keep from spinning) will have me set for extended mooring.

I love our box anchor but after two years we need a better way to store it. I'm thinking a nice looking tote bungied on the bow. Currently we have it in a big clear tote that we keep in the boat but it's always in the way.

Mine folded and put back in bag easily fit under front corner seat

Back