Keys

JaqnKat

Reaction score
Hello all, Jack here from Florence SC.  This is my first posting on this site as a new boat owner (20 SLX/70 Hp)  Picked the boat up on Saturday morning and put in on the Intercoastal Waterway 20 minutes after leaving the dealer.  The wife and I managed to get in about 3 hours on the water before the weather started to turn. Trailering, fueling, putting in and taking out at the boat ramp as well as initial operation were without incident or stress; just a list of the stuff we need to bring with us on the boat.  I am curious though; what does everyone do wit the extra keys for the boat?  Leave them at home?  Stow them in a secret corner?  Just wondering.  Looking forward to many hours on the boat participating on this forum.

I kept the extra set in my truck. I can unlock my truck with my phone , iPad, etc etc. And if at work and I get the itch... I don't have to run home.

Used to have 1 set in the boat..........1 set in the tow vehicle.........and 1 set at home. 

The boat is kept across the street now extra keys are kept at home.....

3 sets .Main set is in my carry on 

One key is hidden on the boat. In case the main set gets dropped in the drink. 

One key is hidden on the boat. In case the main set gets dropped in the drink. 

Get a float on that key chain!!!!!!  My spare key is with all the paperwork in the house.

We have hidden our "main" key on the boat and our spare is in the truck. That way we never get to the boat and discover that we forgot to bring the key. Now the biggest challenge will be to remember where I hid the key!

Had 2 sets and one was main carry key and the other was kept at the place who services the boat.  Had 2 floats attached with key chains to the main carry key and also had a key for the lift lock on it. This weekend we returned from a great day on the lake and another person took the keys out of the ignition and was handing them to me to return them to my boat bag and in the hand-off process the keychain had come undone and I ended p with the lift key, the floats, and the key chain in my hand and the boat key went in the lake.  Neither of us noticed that the chain was loose!  After some calling around on a holiday weekend we were able to reach the owner of the boat service place and he was kind enough to go to his business and retrieve the key he had for me to use the rest of the weekend so all was not lost.

I went to the Yamaha dealer when'd they opened yesterday and they had 2 keys for my ignition in stock so I bought them both and now will keep a spare at my house in case this were to happen again.  I also learned to not trust a key chain and now have the key attached to a float with a large key ring.  If you're trusting a key chain I suggest you think about getting them attached by a key ring.

Jack

I leave one key always in the ignition since I trailer my boat and the spare key is in a little Yeti sidekick dry bag that I keep my boating wallet, license, insurance cards, mobile phone, and lighting remotes.  I always make sure I take that little Yeti bag on and off the boat each time I board and debark the boat.  It's great for keeping small things dry at all times.

http://yeti.com/hopper-sidekick

Funny this topic was brought up!  We used to keep the keys with us until our 20 hr maintenance came up and the dealer offered to go pick up the boat for us (we keep it in the water an hour away) when I realized there was no key on the boat for them.  We now stash a spare key on the boat.  

Funny this topic was brought up!  We used to keep the keys with us until our 20 hr maintenance came up and the dealer offered to go pick up the boat for us (we keep it in the water an hour away) when I realized there was no key on the boat for them.  We now stash a spare key on the boat.  

Your dealer should have your key info for your boat.Therefore they can bring a master key with them.I'm just saying.

Main key is in my "boat bag" that I carry anytime we go to the boat, my wife keeps her keys at the house (which is 20 min. away from the boat), I have a key at our office which is about 10 min. away, we also have a key at the dealership where we dock our boat.  I also have a key hidden on the boat, so we shouldn't ever have a problem with not having access to a key 

Main key is in my "boat bag" that I carry anytime we go to the boat, my wife keeps her keys at the house (which is 20 min. away from the boat), I have a key at our office which is about 10 min. away, we also have a key at the dealership where we dock our boat.  I also have a key hidden on the boat, so we shouldn't ever have a problem with not having access to a key 

That's a lot of keys. Just saying... :)

Back