Lake Levels

Our lake "Dale Hollow" is 32000 acres with a 609 mile shoreline and some of the clearest water you can find in this area, has been higher than winter pool most of the season it is now at full Summer pool and has been for a couple of months.
In my book, Dale Hollow is the most beautiful place on earth!

In my book, Dale Hollow is the most beautiful place on earth!
Seriously now. Have you really seen EVERY place on earth?   :rolleyes:

Have friends all over Europe 

They are saying they had spring a month early

Beautiful weather there 

Wish I could say the same 

Weather reports calling for cold first week of May 

At least the Lake looks GRRRRRRRRREEEAAAAAT

106087843.jpg

What is better than Deep Blue Water ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fallen trees and branches

are some of the reasons I don't do the local rivers

Debris from trees is a huge concern

I prefer the Lake for its safety 

Yep.  I waterskiied a lot as a kid in the local river.  Crap was always floating around just below the surface.

Someone posted recently about being on the lookout whenever lake levels rise suddenly as all the brush near shore can float out and get blown around by the wind.  I never thought about that one before.  Great safety tip.  I thought it was worth repeating here.

We used to ski on the Miami River in downtown Dayton OH.  The river was in a levee and about 3 feet deep.  We had a Glastron runabout with the 350 chevy mounted to a Berkeley jet drive.  It had a draft of about 16".  We were the only people that boated there. It was like having a private ski area.  The debris could be really bad after a rain but it would wash out quickly.  The biggest challenge was the ducks that floated,  They would not fly away but go under water.  I took several face plants from hitting them with the fin of the ski.

On Kerr/Buggs Island Lake on the NC VA border. Normal pool is 300 and we've been close to that most of the winter which is unusual for us. We usually fluctuate a lot.

On Kerr/Buggs Island Lake on the NC VA border. Normal pool is 300 and we've been close to that most of the winter which is unusual for us. We usually fluctuate a lot.
I am glad to hear that , hopefully after a wet winter and spring lake levels throughout the eastern half of 

the country will remain at or near all time highs. Takes away the threat of drought and wild fires, the icing on the 

cake is it makes for a great Boating Season

27949384.jpg

I wish the west could get the rainfall the rest of the country has routinely. Was in San Francisco Bay Area all of September last year, watched Mt Diablo burn.

Our usual lake, Fontana, is a TVA dam and the deepest lake in the east. They start dropping the lake at Labor Day and by mid December it is 55 ft lower. The start filling after the snow major threat is over by mid March, and finish filling mid-May. The shore slope averages 45 degrees because it is mountainous, but ranges from a rare 25 degrees to a few 90 degree rock walls. It is  bordered on the north by the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and on the south by the Nantahala National Forest. Very limited access to the lake. It is about 95% undeveloped on the shoreline, and it is not unusual to see deer, bear, turkey, bobcats, etc., along the shore.The lake is fed by three mountain rivers, so the water is cold and the fish are your normal southern varieties plus most of the northern varieties--walleye, muskie, trout, smallmouth, etc. The lake is about 20 miles long, and covers a little over 10,000 acres
My grandfather was a concrete forms carpenter when they built Fontana Dam in 1942.  He went into the job site by cog train, and never came home for 6 months.  TVA's construction workers back then were some really tough men.  Filling up that 2300' gorge with a 480' high dam was a serious bunch of concrete, and it's like a smaller Hoover Dam--and a sight to see.  Too bad we've got to drive the Tail of the Dragon to get there.

I've never seen the lake full of water.  I have seen the back end of the lake look like the moon, however.

Have friends all over Europe 

They are saying they had spring a month early

Beautiful weather there 

Wish I could say the same 

Weather reports calling for cold first week of May 
My wife and I just got back from Budapest, Vienna and Prague.  Yes, the Spring was better than normal, and much better than our record cold Winter in the Southeast.

Our lake "Dale Hollow" is 32000 acres with a 609 mile shoreline and some of the clearest water you can find in this area, has been higher than winter pool most of the season it is now at full Summer pool and has been for a couple of months.
What's so great about living around Dale Hollow Lake is you don't have to put up with rush hour or all that big city B.S.  It's a place where people are quick to laugh, and they like the simple things of life.  And you're right about it being a fantastic lake.

And if you want culture and shopping, you've always got Cookeville close by--a college town. 

The tail of the dragon is awesome! Took a detour to cs just to drive it. Sad how many don't respect it and loose their lives each year.

My wife and I just got back from Budapest, Vienna and Prague. Yes, the Spring was better than normal, and much better than our record cold Winter in the Southeast.
How'd you like Prague? That's where Mrs. Spinzone is from. We go every other year to visit her parents there. I think it's a really cool city.

Have the boat sitting at the dock 

Mother Nature isn't co-operating

Rain Rain and More Rain 

Why cant California enjoy about a week of this ?

39413638.jpg

Another inch or two of rain tomorrow 

Can you believe this year ?

Rain all week then cool 60 degree Temps mid 40s at night 

WTH ?

LOL LOL LOL 

A friend of mine bought a new in ground pool 

Unfortunately the year they got it was one of the wettest summer's on record 

At least you don't have snow in the forecast for May 16th  :eek:

Back