Commodore
Reaction score
Here at the Lake which is man made ...

A yearly ritual is the lowering of the lake 

Routinely they drop the lake 4-5 feet 

99421399.jpg

After the winter's snow

and the early spring rain the levels always return to normal

Lake levels seldom vary unless extreme drought and heat persist throughout the summer

This year we have been extremely wet thus far and all signs point to a great boating season

105639370.jpg

I hope your lake level is at peak levels and your boating season is a great one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year at the beginning of the season I could barely step down from the dock at the marina to my boat. This year the levels are already as high as mid season last year and Lake Huron in upper Michigan was still frozen over as of this past Saturday. It's will be a good year for lake levels.

Beacon Cove Marina

Lake St. Clair Michigan

Our lake here in Virginia is as high as it can get. With all of the snow and rain we got this year it's no surprise!!!

Our lake is connected to the Withlacoochee River, by a series of locks.  You cannot go by boat from the lakes to the river, but they will allow water to flow between the two.

The problem is that the Southwest Florida Water Management (Swiftmud) people, will try to lower the water from the lakes about this time of year, so that if tropical storms or hurricanes hit, they have a place to divert the water from the river.  This may drop the lake level, as much as 5 feet.  Unfortunately, the canal that I live on is 5 feet deep.

Currently the lake is full and everything is wonderful, but over the 20 years living here, we have probably had 6 or 8 years that I could not have my boat in the water.

This is a picture from about 2 years ago.

The lake we boat on is actually a man made reservoir made by the building of a dam in 1930 to prevent flooding in the cities along the Hudson River mainly protecting the Capital District which is 3 cities, Albany, Schenectady & Troy.  They lower the lake 20' beginning in September [as it drops you better know the lake to keep out of trouble] so that it can catch the spring melt and thus prevent flooding.  The lake begins to rise in mid March and reaches the desired level right about now.  Our docks go in the first or second week of May and I am at a point that I can't wait much longer after the severe winter we had

The water I spend the most time on is the North Pond (also known here as Sandy Pond). It's directly connected via channel to the East end of Lake Ontario. Our water levels are regulated via some sort of agreement with Montreal, Canada and is maintained to allow shipping on the St. Lawrence River through to the Atlantic Ocean.

That's the big picture.

Right now with all the snow melt happening all around Lake Ontario the water levels are spiking up at a rate that hasn't been seen in many years. It's going to be an interesting spring.

Chris,

I hope it is at all time high, Lake Ontario like all the great lakes have been down 

as levels are said to be cyclical. Huron is of major concern over the years with levels down considerably.

The area around Georgian Bay has seen unbelievable drops in a short period of time

This according to Cottage Life Magazine.........

According to recent reports, two of the Great Lakes have officially hit their lowest water levels ever recorded.

Measurements taken in January showed Lake Huron and Lake Michigan at their lowest since 1918, when the record keeping began. In January, the lakes were 74 centimetres below their overall average, a decline of 43 centimetres since January 2012.

While not at their lowest, the other Great Lakes—Superior, Erie, and Ontario—were also well below average.

Our lake changes 50' from winter pool to full pool and can hold another 40' for flood pool.  This is the first year in 8 years we are going to full pool because of repairs on the dam. :D

Remediation

Our lake changes 50' from winter pool to full pool and can hold another 40' for flood pool.  This is the first year in 8 years we are going to full pool because of repairs on the dam.  :D

Now that is serious fluctuation !

Our usual lake, Fontana, is a TVA dam and the deepest lake in the east. They start dropping the lake at Labor Day and by mid December it is 55 ft lower. The start filling after the snow major threat is over by mid March, and finish filling mid-May. The shore slope averages 45 degrees because it is mountainous, but ranges from a rare 25 degrees to a few 90 degree rock walls. It is  bordered on the north by the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and on the south by the Nantahala National Forest. Very limited access to the lake. It is about 95% undeveloped on the shoreline, and it is not unusual to see deer, bear, turkey, bobcats, etc., along the shore.The lake is fed by three mountain rivers, so the water is cold and the fish are your normal southern varieties plus most of the northern varieties--walleye, muskie, trout, smallmouth, etc. The lake is about 20 miles long, and covers a little over 10,000 acres

It is beautiful...clear for a lake, with 10-15 ft visibility, and little traffic for a lake this size. Fishing is great---and they taste great too.

Our 400 acre lake lake is spring fed, no rivers / streams in or out. The depth varies due to rain and snowfall and evaporation, so usually changes less than a foot in any year. It is definitely up this year, which will be great for the ramp - is in a very shallow part of the lake.

Most of the time it is like a private lake. There are only about 120 homes on the entire lake now and only on major holidays is there much traffic at all.

That is the perfect recipe for paradise lol

Our public lakes in the region can get crazy 

Due to this I will not take the boat to public lakes or the rivers 

Just not worth the hassle 

Even here we have had guests of lake residence injure themselves and others severely 

Having it in the water on my dock is more convenient for me 

b_G0pDRqJw5xb5aqzPCJ43Gh89rRiR3FdUINYiLFNonz5z-l3KBHYHwOzOmUNSEzbXKdHi873lJsewXRwiN_q5MU6eIq9_qyy5lRApBonG6hgQXxfghV6jBjOyXP_mQP7hGO-P5GQXUOsnJZ8WLFT5tli1Ds3-nLt1_XGl8t5BKCT5IjdHxRsgDvSRKBEImD5PV4yFV5JywTw6Yw5wfu9OpK3YtDRjpW5mgIB4E9HeB6a9ve6nMSzQwrwQUYcpE5JFfLev1W_eFkyZDRniNtaJZB5yC37OiHWOmom2ZVLL1_o6Bhy9Kdwo_5qwMGqh_pinmizWcct70r75TYatZBQBMtK-AcDLy4MgEQ9IDMepUtiUfKXkmegXfta7QThs5c0OIBMaCFifROURcmyWYdqvBnfIq8TaEI_AzQfK8N8638OTyqcSk1uDuMFBdTIHUVlSibgx6Lywzt7E6QmdYZw--r7is-rPJtT7v7dlx9s004PDLzNYu1ZKbqQtOejdSxuFZR9tAM14UI7OI88GH5BU6F_GQoVyCYm3ACZ3rE76DPfGfaht8c_l9m5dnGbp8R-GunRFX1VyQYXZP_O0KLVENpFv4sa0SjupmucxyuMOjLORIEtRkM=w1059-h794-no

Let Boating Season Begin 

The Tennessee River at Muscle Shoals seldom fluctuates more than 3 feet.   Today, I see trash floating all over the water's surface, which means TVA raised the water fast to a full Summer pool. 

In a 15 minute period, someone's spare trailer tire floated by, and a 10' log floated by.  And the lake was full of fishermen last night running their boats at fast cruising speeds.  I wonder if they knew how dangerous it was to be out running their bass boats just after the water was raised?

Our lake "Dale Hollow" is 32000 acres with a 609 mile shoreline and some of the clearest water you can find in this area, has been higher than winter pool most of the season it is now at full Summer pool and has been for a couple of months.

The Tennessee River at Muscle Shoals seldom fluctuates more than 3 feet.   Today, I see trash floating all over the water's surface, which means TVA raised the water fast to a full Summer pool. 

In a 15 minute period, someone's spare trailer tire floated by, and a 10' log floated by.  And the lake was full of fishermen last night running their boats at fast cruising speeds.  I wonder if they knew how dangerous it was to be out running their bass boats just after the water was raised?
This is a good reminder for everyone everywhere...

Back