Launch Ramp Disasters.

Dougncrew

Reaction score
I was looking at videos of a location I want to visit and in the "suggested" videos I saw one one that was about launch ramp disasters. I watched them pull several trucks out of the water that had been completely submerged. Most of them still had the trailers attached. But I noticed that almost everyone the rear tires were locked up like they were in park. My question is how does a truck end up in the water if it was in park? I was thinking this could be that the boat wasn't unhooked from the trailer and they tried to back up. Any thoughts?

Some thoughts:
  1. Steep ramps
  2. Slick ramps (wet, no grooves, algea growth)
  3. Slick tires
  4. 1&2&3
  5. No 4-wheel drive
  6. Backing up too fast - couldn't stop
  7. Forgot to put it in park or put the parking brake on until the last minute when the momentum made it too late (see #4 above)
  8. No too bright
I'm new enough at this that I still get nervous on the ramp. I'm at least in 4-wheel high, and if its even moderately steep, I use 4-wheel low. Hope I never get complacent!

I looked at a lot of "how to" videos on YouTube before we got the boat... which included the "boat ramp fail" videos. Scary!!!!!

Last edited:
I am always nervous as well. I only have a 2 wheel drive and I have had situations when I am trying to pull the boat out and I have started sliding back. Next time I think I will try airing down my rear tires and have people on my bumper.

I've never needed 4 wheel drive at any ramp I've been to. Slow and steady wins the race. But I think it's a high concentration of #8's out there in those videos.

Yup never needed a 4x4 at the ramp. Just take your time and get it done. Def #8!!!

I’ve preached that to my wife. Don’t get the rear wheels off of the dry portion of the ramp. Be easy on the skinny pedal, and always hold the brake if it starts sliding backward. Never depend on wet back tires to pull it forward if it’s sliding. Hold brake until we find someone to hook to. So far, all has been good.

With the ramps I use I have to get my back tires well into the water. But I have still been thinking about this and I am willing to bet it is mostly people that launch alone. They get the back of the vehicle so far done and when they exit the vehicle some how the boat lifts the back end of the truck up just a little and with no one standing on the brakes it just rolls in because the front tires just roll. or they forgot to disconnect the boat and started to back up. once the back tires break free it is all over. unless of course you think fast and power the boat forward and try to push the truck forward.. yeah I have too much time on my hands to think of dumb stuff.

I’ve preached that to my wife. Don’t get the rear wheels off of the dry portion of the ramp. Be easy on the skinny pedal, and always hold the brake if it starts sliding backward. Never depend on wet back tires to pull it forward if it’s sliding. Hold brake until we find someone to hook to. So far, all has been good.

You must deal with some pretty steep ramps to keep your tires dry! My goal is to try and keep the MUFFLER dry!! Oh, and I haven't had to use 4wd mode yet.

I've got 4 wheel drive but rarely have to use it. Most of the time I just shift to 2nd. Pulls out fine and has much less wheel spin if the ramp is wet.

This is an interesting discussion. Yeah... I've never been able to keep my back tires dry...

With fuel, battery and gear, my boat is 4600 to 4700 lbs and the trailer adds 1200 lbs - so I'm backing 5800 lbs down a ramp. While I respect the greater experience of some of the folks on this board:
  • There is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that I'm backing that kind of a load down a wet ramp without 4WD - especially when I have it available at the flip of a switch!
  • People who say they don't need 4WD, 1) probably don't have 4WD, and 2) presumably are only frequenting somewhat level ramps (probably less than 5% grade). If you've got 4WD and aren't using it, why???

We just got back from Lake Travis in the Texas hill country - every ramp there is steep! There were ramps I wouldn't go down even without a boat attached! I guess they're intended strictly for jet skis because I don't think that even my big F250 diesel could hold my boat on one ramp I saw, much less my F150.

I know what those poor saps in the YouTube videos feel like. Every year we take our 8000 lb Airstream to Colorado and go up a 1000 ft, 10% to 12% grade gravel driveway (that drops off on both sides at some places). Twice, I've had the 4WD fail to engage on my old diesel. There is a special kind of "Uh Oh" when you are standing on the brakes hard and slowly sliding uncontrollably backward into a jack-knife. (Co-pilot jumped out and stuffed a big rock under a drive wheel and stopped the slide - she's my hero!).

So, if I'm on a grade, I'm in 4WD (hi or low, depending)
Its the only way to be sure!

Last edited:
The ramps out here in Havasu aren't too bad. They aren't too steep so I always have to back it down with my rear tires in the water. There's only certain times of the year where the alge makes the ramp(s) overly slippery. Most of the time it's a non-issue. I'm pretty good about not spinning the tires but my wife hasn't mastered that yet. She somehow has mistaken my 35" Pro Comp mudders as wrinkle-walls.

I'm sure it depends on your ramp and boat. I was just sharing my experience that I haven't needed 4 wheel drive with any of my boats at any ramps I've visited. If I ever find myself at a ramp that would necessitate the need for it I would (yes my truck has it) On a side note our front wheel drive acadia didn't have an issue with our last boat either (even with gravel on the ramp)

I've had my rear tires farther in the water than I thought so many times. Never had any problem pulling the boat out. Must be the Michelins. Ha!

Last edited:
One thing I've learned is that YouTube videos of pontoon boat launches are "all over the map" in terms of technique. If you watch four different manufacturers talk about launching their pontoon boats, you'll hear four different techniques.

I've had my rear tires farther in the water than I thought so many times. Never had any problem pulling the boat out. Must be the Michelins. Ha!
Never been a Michelin fan. I drove my truck straight from the dealer and swapped for my Toyo's. It does help that I own two tire stores though. ;)

It also depends a lot on the boat! First time I tried to launch my first boat (2009 2075 GLi 2x25" toons and a 90hp) I backed my 2003 Tahoe Z71 in so far that water was up the rear bumper and the brother in law and I STILL couldn't push it off! It was a shallow area and the 14" tires didn't help the situation. We never tried to launch there again.

That being said, my 2275 RCW with ESP would come off the trailer like nothing! I also never had to get the rear tires wet with it whereas with the 2 toon I did. Buoyancy makes a huge difference!

Never been a Michelin fan. I drove my truck straight from the dealer and swapped for my Toyo's. It does help that I own two tire stores though. ;)
Owning 2 tire stores? That's fantastic! The Pirellis that came w/our Expedition had a hard ride and didn't last long. These Michelins ride so much better and seem to just glide over the road surface........

Back