Launch Ramp Disasters.

Back pressure of water in the muffler won't kill the engine, or keep it from starting?

Back pressure of water in the muffler won't kill the engine, or keep it from starting?
If it's running the water won't go in.

You can drive a whole vehcle under water as long as it has air and no water getting into the engine. Ever see snorkels on vehicles?

Yes, I've been in a few nice off-road capable rigs over the years. My comment was more centered around launching a boat at a busy ramp and backing into the water enough to cover my exhaust. Not sure I am 'brave' enough to test that out.

Gotcha! In northern Wisconsin there is the Willow Flowage and it's the headwaters of the Wisconsin River. When water is low you have to actually drive out into the lake til you are in enough water to get the boat off the trailer! But its a nice , very gradual slope and firm gravel bottom. I'd actually rather do that vs backing down a steep a$$ concrete ramp that is more than likely deeper at the end than my truck is tall!

We launch in the spring right from our own beach which is shallow enough that the muffler is underwater and blowing bubbles but as stated the trick is to not turn off the engine. Oh yeah, and don't go so far that when you open the door the water comes streaming in - neighbor his first year

Back