Lifting strakes breaking off?

07Honda150

Reaction score
I have heard of a twin toon breaking the welds on the lifting stakes in chopy water(2ft chop) at 30+ mph.

My question is, should I be slowing down in these conditions? Or should the tritoon handle this? They ride so smooth compaired to a mono hull in those conditions.

I drive an 07 2275RL 25" tritoon with strakes 150hp Honda and I am in these conditions lots.

Any info. would be great.

Cheers!

I've never heard of strakes breaking off, and I never slow down. :D

from personal experience, i have been in chop that broke over the front deck ( 4 or 5 feet ). Towing a tube about 25mph with 4 people on the tube, 5 more in the boat, and this was with 32" eliptical tubes and lifting strakes. all is fine. these boats are tough.

Those things are welded on front to back, top and bottom. I can't imagine them cracking or coming off. My guess is it would be easier to rip the whole pontoon off the boat than crack off a strake.

Up here there was one that broke a couple of welds. It was a twin 25" tube with lifting strakes. Mine only have a 4" weld every 3 or 4 feet.

I was also told that Bennington came good on warranty. Might have been one of those one off things or something. I personaly have not spoke to the owner myself yet.

Thanks for the info. I do feel a bit better now.

Happy boating!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected.

After looking at some photos, my strakes are welded for 4 inches or so every 2 feet or so.

Back