Lifting strakes

Dan S

Reaction score
Is there a valid point to adding lifting strakes on a 21SLX Cruise with a 115HP Yamaha, under sheeting, twin 25" round tubes, and cable steering? Big water is not a real issue. Some tubing but main use is cruising and beaching.

Thanks,

Dan S.

I'm a strong believer in strakes on any boat with 90 or more horses...

On a two pontoon boat, strakes and wave shield will make the upgrade to a 115 worth the money. Without strakes, in my opinion, you'll see a small increase in the speed at which you plow through the water with the 115 motor. You'll be able to not-plane faster than you would not-plane on a boat with a smaller engine. If you are going to ever be disappointed that you can't really use the boat for water sports, then you probably want to adjust your order to include something that will let the boat get up on plane. Just my $.02.

Anyone know what the approx extra cost of Strakes????

go to the bennington site and check it out through the boat builder. You can do sorts of configurations and adjustments to a boat through boatbuilder.

Thanks

I see absolutely no downside to strakes--preferably sealed. I only see benefits, as has been mentioned.

Cheers, Steve

If you frequent different lakes, go with the sealed strakes so as not to transport undesireables.

Back