Long Trailer Trip

glorey

Reaction score
Hi we are going to take a long trip with our new Benny. It is 2375 GCW with stern lounger package and twin captains chairs. Any recomendations on cushions to be secured or anything to be considered? I am trailering without a cover as the playpen is not acceptable for a trip like this. We are going down to Tablerock from the Milwaukee area. Proably about 600 miles one way. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Anything you can pull out that isn't attached to something should go in your vehicle. Seat cushions etc, without hinges. Anything that would FLY. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tape the cup holders! Secure anything that might flap or chafe.

I've sometimes used a stretchy net with hooks for larger things in the boat. They're typically sold for pickup trucks, fairly cheap.

I also saw somewhere that someone actually has re-usable shrink wrap covers for towing. Sorry, I searched but couldn't find it.

+1 on what cwag911 said and make sure your bimini is stowed in the proper trailer position, if you have under deck stroage you should lock/latch it some way so your door does not fly open, if your radio is external mounted then you might cover the face with plastic to guard against any down pours you might drive through.

By the way, what area are you staying/boating in whil on Table Rock? I boat out of the Kimberling City area.

Jack

Hi Jack we are staying in Emerald Point. August 10th through 17th if you are around we would love to meet up. I know the Kimberling City area pretty well.

glorey,

I will certainly be around on the weekends and would like to try to meet up. Maybe meet at the State Park Marina on the 10th or 11th if that works for you guys.

Jack

Yup, what they ^^^^^^^^^ said !!! Also make sure to have a spare (or two) and a way to jack up trailer. Can of fix a flat don't hurt either.

On mine I take the bow seat out and move it next to the port side entrance and secure it there with bungy straps...or I could put in in my truck. Cup holders need to be secured as others have stated. I towed my Bennington from eastern PA to where I live in Michigan (12 hour journey) and had no issues.

I do wonder though.....does anyone put their motor in gear to keep the prop from spinning while towing? If so do you put it in forward or reverse?

Whenever you stop, check your wheel bearings to make sure they are not overheated. They can get pretty warm, so just compare them against each other. You won't have four go bad at the same time. Things like that only happen to Derrick.

Use front and rear tiedowns from boat to trailer.

Tie all your ropes to the fencing--to keep from dragging them down the road.

Use a trailer support bracket to go between the lower unit and the trailer frame to take the pressure off your trim cylinders.

Use a bungee cord to hold open the front and rear fencing gates in order to minimize wind drag.

Wrap a bungee cord around the bimini top boot as additional insurance.

Use bungees to hold the bimini top to the fencing (as low as possible.)

Put any seat cushions held down by velcro inside the truck/car.

A heavy 1" rope can be used to tie the boat to the winch stand--in case the winch strap breaks.

I'm w/Kaydano. Wheel bearings.........Make sure your wheel bearings are full of grease. Take a grease gun w/you................and make sure your trailer tires are fully inflated to the recommended level...............600 miles is a long way w/out towing anything. Have a safe trip............

Uhh, pay close attention when you pull in for gas. Don't drive behind parked vehicles and if you have to, just keep honking your horn cuz apparently towing a huge ass pontoon makes you "blend in" . Haha

Back