Low Rider

G

Geewest

I have been seeing more and more of these overloaded/half sunk boats out on the lake. These people had not even got all of the people on board and it looked like the rub rail was almost at the water line

631BE4A2-A938-4B1F-AD79-B51763320DF9-10267-0000073B9866527E_zps1559d7b3.jpg

I had seen them later on in the day and the boat was slammed! The toons were fully under water!

It looked like a 1 foot roller would have swamped the boat big time, LOL

Red Neck boat club!

NO, Red Neck Yacht Club. B)

I guess I hadn't really thought too much about it before because I would never overload my boat. But I suppose you can add, and add, and add weight, and not really notice anything is about to go wrong (from inside the boat) but as soon as the pontoons are below water, one more pound will sink it. In the photo, it will sink the back first, and the motor will be first to go under. Expensive lesson in weight limits. And why you need to distribute the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is that a 16' r ??? Capacity must be 4 adults max !!! Darwin's theory in action !!

Some people buy boats that just don't meet their social needs. They don't know about this website that does such a good job of educating potential boaters.

And that's typical of Tracker. Underpower and underspec the hulls to keep the prices low.

I still see many 19" twin toons out on the lake, however. Since pontoons don't ever wear out, people are running many old small toon'd boats.

Problem is, most of them don't realize, it's not that it's stupid, the issue is its dangerous. I would be surprised if they have the req'd number of pfd's on board .......

You know, a special thread with just photos of what NOT to do would probably speak volumes and help people avoid bad situations where they simply just didn't think. You can learn by experience, or you can learn by other's mistakes. You choose.

Again, the book Seaworthy is a perfect example of this sort of thing, but photos are much more gooder! (The word "gooder" is something I picked up from my kids when they were young. Makes perfect sense. Not sure why it's not a word. It should be.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The are both sun trackers , and this one is empty .

I'm guessing their plan is to leave it there until it sinks, then use the insurance money to buy a Bennington.

Gee,

Do you get many big wakes on your lake? If so, I hope all those people can swim.

Jack

We were taking an evening cruise yesterday when out of the corner of my eye I saw a seriously overloaded pontoon with the whole back half in the air, entire lower unit and prop out of the water. The front half was fully submerged over the deck to about the helm. 3 coolers were floating in the water, beer cans everywhere, with a bunch of 20-something aged kids laughing and bailing out the front left and right. They eventually got it under control, but it was quite a mess. Fortunately this was all in about 3-5' of water, so they just laughed it off and I suppose Mom and Dad will never know. Scary stuff.

We see stupid on the lake all the time, and my biggest pet peeve is seeing kids sitting in front of the bow with their legs dangling in the water while underway.

If my calcs are right, at 10mph, it's traveling 14' per second or roughly less than 2 seconds till prop strike. What's geared prop spinning? 60-100 revs per second ?? At 60 revs per second, that's 180 blade strikes in one second with a 3 blade prop.

That will open a skull like a can opener !!!!!

Pretty gory thought huh??

STUPID PEOPLE !!!!!!

Back