Merc 150 wot rpm

jmkjoe

Reaction score
I have a 2013 2250 gbr, sps toons, 4 stroke merc 150, with a merc enertia 15 pitch on it. I'm getting between 4900 to 5100 rpm's out of it at wide open throttle with about 900 lbs of people and cargo on it. Does that seem about normal. Should it rev higher? When we test drove the same boat with a yamaha 150 it was around 5800 rpm. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Extra people will bring your RPM's down. Were you playing with your trim at all? A lot of times you get people loading the boat front/back heavy and you need to trim the nose cones further out of the water than you would typically do. 

Yes played with the trim all weekend. That's where the 200 rpm difference came in to play. I moved people front to back and still runs 5100 rpm tops. I was just under the assumption that these mercs should rev up to around 5800

Our 2015 Merc 150 4 stroke has the 14 pitch Enertia SS prop.  We are at 5800 rpm at 38 mph WOT.  Your RPMs are low.

I believe Mercs have a different gear ratio and you will need the 14 pitch.

I get 5800 with a 15 pitch Enertia. Thanks Todd! I hit 41 every time I check max speed when out by myself. I don't do it often, but I view checking my max speed as assurance that all is good with the boat and motor.

Plus it's fun!

Back