Mercury Flo-Torq

kaydano

Reaction score
How do I tell which hub system I have? The choices for my engine, according to the manual, are the Flo-Torq I, II, or III. The manual lists all three, but it doesn't say which one is for my particular 2011 (manf date) 115 four stroke (the manual covers several engine sizes). It shows the 3 diagrams for "whichever" hub system I happen to have, but the problem is it doesn't say how to figure out which one. Okay, so I could take the prop off and match the hub up with the diagram, but the boat is at the marina in storage. Is there an easy way to tell?

Also, should everyone with a Flo-Torq hub be carrying a spare sleeve on board in case you hit a rock and the break-away sleeve breaks away? I think I know the answer to that (yes) but I have not read anything about this in the forum here, so figured other Mercury owners would want to know about it as well. I didn't realize it had a break away hub.

http://continuouswav...TML/005155.html

Nothing's ever simple...

One other comment, Mercury's website says that with the Flo-Torq break away hub, the impact on the lower unit from hitting something hard is no different between a stainless prop, and an aluminum one. Matter of fact, the video said there's really no reason to own an aluminum prop, as you will have a broken hub sleeve AND a broken prop (if it's aluminum). With stainless, the break away sleeve still breaks but the prop has a far greater chance of surviving the impact. Interesting.

One more thing. It appears you can put a Flo-Torq hub on any make motor (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc). Don't take my word on that, as I'm just learning about this, but I found 18 different Flo-Torq II kits for sale on one website, and they were for all different makes of engines and HP range. I don't know if other manufacturer's have a break away hub (doubt it or Mercury wouldn't make kits for them). Or, maybe Mercury does this just so you can run a Mercury prop on another make of engine. Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaydano, I think I have a flo-toq 2 that I can send you but we won't be home for another week and a half. I use a flo-torq3 on my Honda which has rods in itfor vibration at idle. Your dealer should know what's on your engine . The difference in the kits is the thrust washer. We're leaving for a cruise today out of NJ.

Hope you enjoy the cruise as much as I would imagine you did with your grandchild cwag

Yup, this is my relax time, and we had a great time with Nathan.

Since my boat is shrink-wrapped in storage I'll mention what I seem to recall...

I have an 2011 115 Optimax and seem to recall an added instruction sheet that says to use an Flo Torq III. I checked the Mercury website and the manuals are not available for download (that I could find) and my book is in the boat...

You have a 4 stroke so the requirement may be different.

Shawn

Kaydano, I think I have a flo-toq 2 that I can send you but we won't be home for another week and a half. I use a flo-torq3 on my Honda which has rods in itfor vibration at idle. Your dealer should know what's on your engine . The difference in the kits is the thrust washer. We're leaving for a cruise today out of NJ.
Thanks for the offer Carl. I will have to find out what I have first. Have a good time on the cruise!

http://www.mercuryma...tainless Steel/

Here's the link to the Mercury video on aluminum vs stainless steel props when you have a Flo-Torq break away hub. If the link doesn't take you to the right video, find the one in the list called "aluminum vs stainless steel".

Back