Mercury Trim/Tilt Question

BAK

Reaction score
Good morning and Happy Memorial Day Weekend !
My neighbor purchased a 2019 Pontoon with a 200HP Mercury. We were getting familiar with the boat and realized the motor will not tilt high enough to get completely out of the water t the dock. I recall a long time ago they used to have a trailer button that would allow the motor to come all the way up? Is there something like this that I am missing? It has a electronic throttle control with a electronic button for neutral, start/stop. I checked the manual and nothing. Thanks in advance for your help.

Morning. Did you hit the trim button all the way until it stops? The motor should be completely out of the water then.

Check if there's enough hydraulic fluid in the trim pump.

I have a Merc 150, and it trims well out of the water. And I have the Express hull, which already rides bow-high.

I've never dug into it, but I'm almost certain there's a sensor adjustment that stops the up tilt so the cowl doesn't hit the back of the boat. It might be just a simple adjustment. Any chance the motor was on another boat before your neighbor's?

If you find the adjustment, make SURE you don't raise the motor too far and crack the cowl. Those are over $1000 to replace. Make sure you never drop it in the lake either!

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick replies. I am quite sure there is nothing wrong other than someone has set the tilt limit in-correctly. I am sure these motors are used on a variety of boats and each boat has a different tilt level before hitting something. I know my wife SUV has a way to set the rear hatch height so it doesn't hit the garage door......its something along those lines, I just don't know where/how to set it and both the operators manual and the installation guide don't show it either. Thanks again for your help and if anyone has knowledge of this it would be greatly appreciated.

This topic had me curious about how my 150 worked, and looks like there isn't much info redilly available about it online. But I did find something on a Vrod brochure saying the tilt limit was programmable via the SmartCraft system. That would likely require a dealer visit, assuming the 200 is the same...

This might be a dumb question... but are you pushing the the trim button to the second click? When you push the top rocker, there's a second position that you have to push hard to make it click.

Mine has enough resistance that I wouldn't know about it if I didn't already know.

Second click? What second click? I'm going to have to check that out, and see if mine does that, if it would stop raining...

Maybe it's just on my I/O?
On my throttle , the trim switch is a rocker switch.

Down trim is a single position - which takes it all the way down and in.

On the up side, there are two positions - but just one click (so I think I misspoke on my prior post). To get to the second position I have to push through the 'click'.

The first position takes the stern drive up pretty far - far enough to where I can barely get headway when in the water.

The second position takes it all the way up to where another inch and it would hit the lower bracket of the ski post.

The reason I suggest it might be just my configuration is the following excerpt from the owners manual :

Screenshot_20200525-073345_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Back