Micro holes in seat fabric

jbm007

Reaction score
Have a Bennington 24 foot pontoon boat is about 3 years old. Original owner, boat has always been covered or in dry storage.

I have two cushions , one a rear seat, one a back panel in front that have developed random small micro holes about a 1/32" across.

Bennington tells me it was caused by some kind of animal who happened to get into a secure marina , and slipped under the cover and made these small random tiny holes.

They are all the same size, and all appear the same in appearance.

Anyone else ever had this issue, or am I just unlucky.

I find it hard to believe that a animal could damage just two seats in two separate areas of the boat.

Would appreciate peoples comments.

I need to have a discussion with Bennington because my dealer indicated there was nothing they do to help me.

Attachments

• IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 108
It looks like claws of some sort? Too me

But only single holes? Strange

Haven't seen that before

Yea. same here. Started appearing this summer.

Its only on one cushion seat and the top of one seat back.

What animal has one tooth or one claw? There's no consistent spacing pattern.

Definitely a puncture given the vinyl bunching up on one side of some of these (vs a defect in the material).

Hate to say it, but this looks man made to me...

But, equally surprised two people have this problem...

Definitely a head scratcher.

Last edited:
That is bizarre. The kind of thing that drives you batty trying to figure out what happened. I have no idea, beyond a malicious act, what could have caused that. I hate discovering those type of things. Sorry you have to deal with it. Keep it in perspective though.

My three guesses:

1) someone with something sharp in their pants or bag/purse poking it

2) OP leaning something on the cushion that has a sharp burr sticking out

3) some a-hole fisherman with terrible aim flipping a 4/0 around your boat and snagging the cushions. I may have been an offender once or twice!

OK

My question now is.

How do I fix it?

Do I replace the whole cushion?

Can the vinyl be patched?

Don't want this to get worse.

Any thoughts?

I had a (drunk) fishing buddy that put a hook in one of my back cushions and put a small hole like that. I got some vinyl repair glue and just dabbed it in the hole. I can't even tell where the hole was and it seems to have worked.

Coghlan's Air Stop.

I used it on a small tear on one of my seats.

Any used car dealer has a guy that comes around to fix vinyl seats in cars. They do great work and the color match is amazing. Ask around and get a business card for one of these people and they will repair the seat at low cost.

BTW, I am thinking maybe a bird pecked holes to eat something spilled on the seat??

Wow, take about strange. Personally, if it's not going to be covered under warranty, I wouldn't do anything for at least another year. While I wouldn't like knowing that they're there, they do seem to be fairly small so you might just learn to live with it. If after the end of the season it's still bothering you, you could have that section replaced.

Any used car dealer has a guy that comes around to fix vinyl seats in cars. They do great work and the color match is amazing. Ask around and get a business card for one of these people and they will repair the seat at low cost.

I had one of these guys do an armrest in my car and it looks great and has lasted.

Back