Mildew on bimini top

Looney Toon

Reaction score
Our boat is kept in the water year round with the bimini top in the correct position with the cover on. We are having an issue with mildew building up under the cover on the bimini. Not sure if there is any prevention other than taking the bimini cover off and storing when the boat is not in use. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Our boat is kept in the water year round with the bimini top in the correct position with the cover on. We are having an issue with mildew building up under the cover on the bimini. Not sure if there is any prevention other than taking the bimini cover off and storing when the boat is not in use. 
I would try washing the bimini and the cover in a non-bleach mildew/mold killer.  We use Shockwave in our business.  It smells nice and won't fade the colors.  Then treat the fabric with 303

The bimini and cover fit in our washing machine. The playpen/mooring cover needs the large commercial washer.

I have taken off the bimini and cover and sprayed it w/a bottle containing about and ounce of bleach and the rest water and got rid of the mildew almost instantly then rinsed it well w/clean water. I never had any ill effects. The cover (and boat) is 10 yrs. old this year and still looks great!

Bleach will work and has for centuries but it could fade the color.  The Shockwave will not fade colors and it smells really nice.  It is also much safer than bleach. 

Back