Mildew

fredp

Reaction score
I have mildew discoloration on the underside of my cover.  Anyone have a suggestion on what I can use safely to remove it?

Starbrite spray it on and literally watch it vanish in about 10 min the stuff is amazing.

On a related topic, will mildew occur on the bimini if it's zipped into the boot while wet from rain?

fredp: how did the mildew occur under the cover? Is there a way to prevent it?

On a related topic, will mildew occur on the bimini if it's zipped into the boot while wet from rain?

fredp: how did the mildew occur under the cover? Is there a way to prevent it?
Yep, happened to me, that's why this topic got my attention.

Yep, happened to me, that's why this topic got my attention.
On your new boat? So, recently?

(if so, ohhhhhh noooooo, cuz last weekend had to shut her up wet due to leaving town. going back this weekend & hope no mildew :(  )

On your new boat? So, recently?

(if so, ohhhhhh noooooo, cuz last weekend had to shut her up wet due to leaving town. going back this weekend & hope no mildew :( )
Yep, only took a couple days actually. A line about the size of a pencil.

I have tried Starbrite numerous times, as recent as last year and it works for the mild stuff but for mildew that's been in the seats for a while it doesn't even touch it.  Nothing does that I have tried and I have tried just about everything.  I'm too scared to try water with a little bit of bleech like Bennington suggests.

Yep, only took a couple days actually. A line about the size of a pencil.
guess I'll find out this weekend : / (I've been worrying about it since Sunday :unsure:  )

Requesting input:

We put the bimini in the boot, wet, on Sunday. We may not be able to get back to it until this Saturday afternoon. It's been sunny since we left it. Do you think it's imperative to make a special trip to the boat to open the bimini to air it out/dry asap OR what will happen if we wait till Saturday? We haven't even had the boat a week! After Snakebyte said he had mildew after two days I am now more worried. (crying)

Personally I would always feel better going and dealing with it because if you don't you will not be able to stop thinking about it anyways.  While you are there, go for a ride

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess what?

Just got back! haha Link is right on, I'da been non-stop thinking about it, Saturday was too far away!

Picked up and left last night, 3 hr drive, got there about 8:30 p.m. just enough light to uncover and open bimini. There was just a few streaks of moisture in the creases of the bimini but no mold/mildew whatsoever (at least yet!) YAY! Wiped everything down, let the boot air out and dry more. The canvas material sure seems the type to dry fast and not withhold too much moisture, I like it! Whew, I feel so much better now : ) Glad we went

It was nice visiting our brand new boat. Not enough time for a ride (well, could have if we were more used to parking in our slip in the dark...we do have the ABS docking lights which are nice and bright and the blue LED bimini lights, but didn't want to fool with it yet.) Enjoyed the trip though and had time to check out a place to mount the Lowrance on the helm (thanks Clrd!) Have a plan for that now. All in all, trip well worth it.

Thanks all for your assistance. And, thanks fredp for starting this thread!

Yup, gonna order that today and have it ready to treat everything asap! I think from reading your posts Jack, and others, that the gallon version will be the right amount for the entire mooring cover and bimini/boot? Then maybe I'll get a 16 or 32 oz spray bottle for seams in the future. Does that sound right?

I used almost an entire gallon just on the cover.,two 32oz on the carpet .

Gallon is the lowest cost way to go .

I need to buy another for when my bimini & boot arrive 

Jack: What's the cheapest you've found a gallon of 303 Fabric Guard? It's on Amazon right now for $56.04

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the consensus on when to apply the fabric protector to the cover and bimini (and its boot)?  I love the stuff for the furniture (I feel it really helps keep them clean), but the cover on the new boat is repelling water just fine.  I was thinking about waiting until the end of the season/beginning of next season to apply the stuff (unless I see evidence over the summer that I'm losing some waterproofing protection). 

Back