Mooring cover

JSM

Reaction score
Any good suggestions for water proofing the mooring cover at the start of the upcoming season? Can you spray it while it is snapped down on the boat? Should you remove and spread on the ground? My concerns are if you spray on the ground you won't get all areas evenly, and if you spray while covering the boat you could get it all over the finish.

Just signed my dock lease for this coming season. Goes back in in 90 days!

You'll find that a bunch of members use and swear by 303 Aerospace protectant on their playpen covers and upholstery. It's an excellent product! Google it!

I have applied it on our playpen cover while it was on the boat and also have taken it off and applied it on the ground in the driveway......up to you. If you apply it while the cover is on the boat just make sure it doesn't drip onto your panels. Wipe it w/a clean cloth......

If you can reach it on the boat. Is it on a trailer??? If in the water, I'd be worried about getting overspray in the water.

Driveway sounds easiest. Seems that would be the easiest to get it on evenly too.

I brought mine home . Bought a gallon of 303 and a hand pump sprayer 

http://www.amazon.com/418-1-Liter-One-Hand-Pressure-Sprayer/dp/B000BX4VXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422437893&sr=8-1&keywords=hand+pump+sprayer

71FPuebydTL._SL1500_.jpg

tn_gallery_4015_351_1209993.jpg
tn_gallery_4015_351_1742230.jpg
tn_gallery_4015_351_540069.jpg

Jack, does that sprayer hold up?  I bought a sprayer that is quite larger than that, it has a longer wand that made it easier to spray the middle but I had to hold the large container in the other hand and almost lost my balance on the dock over-reaching to get the center of the mooring cover

I used it twice last year no issues .

As you can see in the pics, I brought mine home ,laid it over my propane tank ,ladder and  trash can . I did keep one of 32 oz spray bottles for better control to do the carpet 

tn_gallery_4015_351_540069.jpg

tn_gallery_4015_351_1742230.jpg

tn_gallery_4015_351_1209993.jpg

I put mine over my fence so I could spray both sides and across the top where it leaked around the stands. It worked out very well. The SOLO spray was great.

Thanks for the responses and ideas. I was definitely planning to use the 303. I have used their upholstery spray this past season on the seats. I thought that was interesting that Jack also treated his carpet. I have not looked at all the 303 products but I am sure you all are using a waterproof version for the cover which is different than the upholstery spray I bought. Or not?

I use the 303 Fabric Guard on the cover and the carpet .

Areospace protectant on the seats.

Jack makes a good point. Anyone reading about 303 for the first time needs to know they make more than one product! The names are similar, and lengthy, which is a recipe for confusion because human nature causes most of us to shorten our reference to both products to a simple "303". Not sure if that's brilliant marketing or a bad mistake...

So don't put the fabric stuff on vinyl, even though vinyl is a fabric. Don't put the vinyl stuff on fabric like carpet or you will fall on your a$$. Put the fabric stuff on carpet because carpet isn't vinyl, it's fabric. Is carpet fabric? It must be since carpet ain't vinyl, so it must be fabric. Carpet is also upholstery. Vinyl is not upholstery, even though vinyl is used as upholstery, but it's not fabric. Upholstery is fabric, but no fabric is used as upholstery on a Benny, vinyl is, but as I said, vinyl is not fabric. Once you figure all this out, start calling both products "303" to keep the chain of confusion going so the next guy is as confused as you once were.

Something needs to be fixed with the names of the 303 products. Again, not sure if this is brilliance (hey, they got me writing about their products at 4 am) or accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back