Motor hitting the V on the bottom of transom

ranger45

Reaction score
I took the boat out today and did some tubing. This is the first time tubing and using the boat under those cicumstances. I noticed it turned hard if you went all the way with the steering from side to side. When I got home I noticed that the motor a Merc 115 was hitting the bottom of the transom where it is in the V shape. I have one more hole to drop the motor and was wondering if this would take care of it. The next option I was thinking is to cut some of the aluminum on the transom. Has anyone ever come across this issue?

I'm having the same issue with my boat. The engine is in the lowest hole. Mine does it whenever motor is trimed all the way down. I plan on removing a small amount of aluminum with my belt sander.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having the same issue with my boat. The engine is in the lowest hole. My does it whenever motor is trimed all the way down. I plan on removing a small amount of aluminum with my belt sander.
Mine went into the aluminum about 3/8 of an inch. It would take forever to sand it down. I wonder if this is an issue they need to look into. I have also got to paint the motor where it made contact. Thank's for your reply.

I don't seem to have this problem on my boat so I never had occasion to look, but is there perhaps an adjustable snubber? (Bump Stop)

What kind or model boat do you have...I dont think i would be doing any kind of grinding on the transom untill i had someone else more qualified to check things out on the mounting of your motor...

The motor is a Mercury 115 Four stroke. The boat is a 2274GLI. I haven't noticed any bump stop on the motor. It seems to do it only on the turns. It hits harder on the righthand turns. It never did it until we went tubing and put the motor under more work load. Thank' for your help. I will post pictures today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might be best to have your dealer look at it first prior to grinding the transom. The dealer probably mounted the engine in the first place and may be better equipped to solve this issue.

Here is a picture of the damage. The cavitation plate is only 1/2 inch from the aluminum on the transom. When you turn the motor it gets even closer.IMG00093-20110814-1138.jpg

As others have said I would not grind on the transon. Have your dealer look at it. With most boats the dealers mount the motors. This looks like a mounting issue and the dealer should fix it.

Sorry to hear this. The engine should not hit the transom when trimmed all the way down. Please take your boat to the dealer so Bennington can have the adjustment done under warranty. If you use the boat in the meanwhile, please watch your trim and bump it up slightly. Thanks and we do apologize for the inconvenience. TB

Sorry to hear this. The engine should not hit the transom when trimmed all the way down. Please take your boat to the dealer so Bennington can have the adjustment done under warranty. If you use the boat in the meanwhile, please watch your trim and bump it up slightly. Thanks and we do apologize for the inconvenience. TB
I thank you for your help. The dealer I bought it at is 3 hrs away.I have a dealer that is 1/2 hr away. Does it have to go to the dealer I bought it from. Also would the part on the motor that is ground off be replaced. Once again thank you for your help.

I thank you for your help. The dealer I bought it at is 3 hrs away.I have a dealer that is 1/2 hr away. Does it have to go to the dealer I bought it from. Also would the part on the motor that is ground off be replaced. Once again thank you for your help.
You'll want to take this to a Bennington dealer. If you do not want to haul the boat back 3 hours, call the closer dealer to ask if he will service your rig. Most will, but a few dealers only service boats they sell (sorry). Wherever you take the boat, the dealer will contact Bennington to review/authorize the claim, diagnose the problem and set up the repair. (The engine damage would be part of this process) Thanks, TB

Here is an update on issue. I talked to Bennington Customer Service Rep. today they said it would be taken care of. The Rep. told me that they had a few transom mounts welded to the motor pod welded at a wrong angle. They are going to replace the engine pod and gearbox on the motor. I told them customer service was the reason for me buying a Bennington.

Wow, makes you understand why you bought a Bennington! No one is perfect, and problems will always arise, but the true test is how well those issues are dealt with. Well done Bennington!

Update to the problem. Went to pick the boat up today and noticed the skipole will not work. The bottom mount for the skipole is drilled to far forward. The dealer is telling me it will be a month before the new motor pod will be shipped. I hope they are wrong but probably not. Summer will be over before it gets fixed. This is so disapointing. I hope Bennington can get it here faster.

"the true test is how well those issues are dealt with"
Totally agree.

Anyone can smell like a rose when things go right. It's when things go wrong that separates the men from the boys.

When I read online reviews, this kind of stuff carries a lot of weight in my book. When I look at reviews, I look for those that had problems, and see how they were dealt with. That tells me far more than all the others that didn't have problems.

This is one of many reasons we chose Bennington!

Back