Motor position while anchored and swimming

kaydano

Reaction score
After seeing some pics in the gallery of a boat anchored, with people swimming, and the motor tilted all the way up (out of the water) prompts this question: Which is the safest position? Up or down?

When I'm anchored and everyone's in the water, I trim the motor all the way down (so the prop is tucked under as far as possible), and I also turn the wheel all the way to port so the prop is as far away from the ladder as possible.

Tilting the motor up so the prop is sticking out just plain looks dangerous, but I would concede that it is more visible that way, and the prop may be high enough no one would accidentally hit their head swimming by...

Which is safest?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. I do the same as you, however we may missing something. I am a bit of a old dog, but I'm always willing to learn a new trick.

I just tell passengers to not cut themselves on the prop or the sharks will go into a frenzy!! It's worked so far! In other words, I've never actually thought about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll remember that one next time the neighbor kids are on the boat! Should be good for some funny double-takes by the kids. Followed by glares from the moms.

I am one that has always trimmed the motor up. My thought is nobody can get hurt if someone would start the motor. I don't think either way is wrong its just a different way of doing it. It is just MY safety step, motor does not go down till everyone is in the boat.

I leave ours down and remove the key from the ignition. This way nobody can "accidently" start the engine.

Good extra layer of safety taking the key out. Makes you think once more to do a head count.

Same as Carl...........just don't misplace the key like we almost did..........we do keep a spare on the boat and in the Expedition.........

One more thing.............we constantly remind people to stay away from the motor especially the first timers.............

The only reason I sometimes trim the motor all the way up is if we are archored in a very shallow spot don't want the prop or lower end hitting bottom or if weedy area collecting weeds

I have had some guests on my boat who said they had cut thier leg on the prop of another boat (generally an I/O without a swim platform) and they feel more comfrotable swimming with the prop up to where they can see it and avoid it. In those cases, I park with it in the trailer position.

Jack

Back