Motor shut down........

Good to hear Daril. Are you going to replace it or let him do it? I can help if need be.

Great news BigKahuna, but if you are like me somewhere deep down in a hidden dark portion of my heart I hope it was a major problem thereby justifying the purchase of that windshield Q, you know the one I mean, the 25QXSBW, the Golden Emerald one

Just go to summit racing and switch everything over. :)

Tachometer? We don't need no stinkin' tachometer!

Glad to hear your back on track to get on the water! Sometimes it's the strangest stuff things that stop you dead!!

Just go to summit racing and switch everything over. :)

Good to hear Daril. Are you going to replace it or let him do it? I can help if need be.

I think I'd get the boat today and be cruising this afternoon.

That fix can wait on the part. Install is easy peasy.

We ended up ordering the cluster of gauges that Goldnrod and I found on eBay but we ordered it directly from the company and was much cheaper w/free shipping. 5 brand new Teleflex Bennington gauges for $259. Locally a dealer could order just the tach for $218 so why not buy all at that price. 

So for now the mechanic disconnected the Tach and we'll be back on the water after I do some power washing and give the outdrive a good coat of wax. 

Ill replace the gauges with hopefully the help of Carl in the fall........

Great news BigKahuna, but if you are like me somewhere deep down in a hidden dark portion of my heart I hope it was a major problem thereby justifying the purchase of that windshield Q, you know the one I mean, the 25QXSBW, the Golden Emerald one

Beautiful boat but to be honest I don't really care for the windshield on a pontoon boat. It reminds me of my old bow rider........

Not a problem Daril.

Glad to hear you are back up and running. And it wasn't something major. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful boat but to be honest I don't really care for the windshield on a pontoon boat. It reminds me of my old bow rider........

That Q's not your fathers bow rider :p

All right back to square 1 gentlemen.........My wife and I put the boat back in the water today and we were on our way to go see and meet MH663 and his wife who is here on Lake Norman vacationing this week. Boat engine started right up at the ramp and my wife cruised around to our slip to pick me up after bringing our trailer home. It's about a 15 minute cruise to their location and we were cruising along at 30 mph..........And the guardian system kicked in again and shut the engine off instantly. You've got to be kidding me! The big difference this time is the engine started right up and we decided to just head home and park it in the slip. What the hell is going on?!? 

(MH663 and his wife ended up meeting us at our slip. Great people! It was fantastic to finally meet them!)

Glad to hear you are back up and running. And it wasn't something major. 

Ha! Spoke too soon! See above.......

You'll get her figured out. Don't write that craigslist add just yet.

You'll get her figured out. Don't write that craigslist add just yet.

Thanks Jared! We've been racking our brains trying to figure it out and our mechanic has a checklist of tests he will do when we get it back to him. Running like a Champ one second then shutting itself down the next. Frustrating!  It's just a PIA to have my wife take the boat to the ramp w/me meeting her w/the trailer. Then taking it to the other side of the lake where his shop is. Just time consuming. Labor Day weekend to boot too. Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!

It's a sign. Sell it. Like cars they get to a point when they become unreliable and expensive to maintain. For me peace of mind has value.

It's a sign. Sell it. Like cars they get to a point when they become unreliable and expensive to maintain. For me peace of mind has value.

That's what I do when it's time for the next oil change ....  :D

My big boat (I/O) had this issue years ago and no mechanic could diagnose it because it was so random and intermittent.

One day, I was reaching into the bilge and brushed my hand on the back of the distributor. I heard something drop into the bilge. There was no retrieving it, but I could feel a bare stud and a black wire not connected to anything.

What I had bumped loose was the ground wire for the ignition amplifier.

Conclusion? It can be almost anything.

Well I know one thing is for sure. It's not the stud behind the steering wheel. He's an awesome dude!

Ha! Spoke too soon! See above.......

Sorry to hear, Hope you get it figured out. 

Other than that, hope you and Diane are having a good Summer. Tell her I said Hi.

Will have to try to make it down there again. 

My big boat (I/O) had this issue years ago and no mechanic could diagnose it because it was so random and intermittent.

One day, I was reaching into the bilge and brushed my hand on the back of the distributor. I heard something drop into the bilge. There was no retrieving it, but I could feel a bare stud and a black wire not connected to anything.

What I had bumped loose was the ground wire for the ignition amplifier.

Conclusion? It can be almost anything.

You're right it could be anything. We thought it was diagnosed but it shut down again. No matter what we do it'll always be in the back of mind that it COULD shutdown! We have confidence in our mechanic. We'll see........

Well I know one thing is for sure. It's not the stud behind the steering wheel. He's an awesome dude!

Thanks appreciate it!

Sorry to hear, Hope you get it figured out. 

Other than that, hope you and Diane are having a good Summer. Tell her I said Hi.

Will have to try to make it down there again. 

Thanks Chris! The same to you and Darcy!

Yup could be a sign all right! Ha!

Back