Motor Upgrade

Jjam52

Reaction score
Bought a 24' S series with a 115 horse Yamaha. Not happy with the speed and thinking of going to a 150 or 175. Anyone have an idea if what I might pay for that change?

Hmmmm. Might be better to look at trading boats. Buying a new 150 of same brand plus converting to assisted steering is sneaking up to $10,000.

And you will have a 115 in your garage unless someone takes a trade, but they don't Want a used 115 on the shop floor either.

I did this back in the spring, with my 2011 2275RL . If you look up the trade value in NADA for boat motors it will let you know what yours is worth and an idea what a new one is worth. Yamaha had a 1000.00 rebate going on at the time and it went toward the power steering and labor. I absolutely love the power difference. Not even close. It cost me around 6500.00.

Oh and I went through my Benny dealer!

Not sure and since I am a partner in the boat to trade the whole thing in would take some family convincing, but it is an option I will look into as I move forward on this.

I think guardrail poses an excellent option and worth looking in to

I traded in a ~1.5 year old 115 in on a new 150 (both Mercury) and it cost me around $5k as I recall. 

I didn't get power steering, so that would be in addition to the $5k.  I still have cable steering.  I actually don't think it's any harder to steer than the 115 was, although it is hard to crank at higher speeds. I'll switch it out at some point.

Here is my writeup on my trade-in about a year ago:  http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/topic/2791-read-this-if-you-are-trying-to-decide-between-a-115-and-150-hp/

Last edited by a moderator:
I had gotten a quote to change out my low hour 115 to a 150 yamaha.  Was going to be right at $5,000.  

McZiggy, does that include the rigging and all labor?

I already have the hydraulic steering so I am hopefully that a new engine would just work with what I have

McZiggy, does that include the rigging and all labor?
I was trying to get it for $4,000 out the door with taxes and everything and he said he was closer to $5,000 total.  So yes!

This is the perfect example of the dealers telling buyers that the 115HP is enough engine to keep the price point down.  On a new boat with 3 toons a 150 is the starting point unless you are on a restricted lake.  You can always back off the throttle but full blast on a small motor is not enough.  

Back