Mounting rub rail protectors

brentah

Reaction score
So I ordered and received my rub rail protectors for my 22SSX so I can avoid further "bunk burn" as others have suggested on this board.  I am convinced that these are not "protectors" of the rub rail at all, but were marketed and sold that way because it sounded better than add on piece of aluminum to prevent your snaps from rubbing holes in your bunk and so you can snap your mooring cover on device!  :)

Anyways, after receiving them I started scratching my head and wondering how should I attach these?

I did some research and it seems the best option would be to use aluminum screws or bolts since I will be attaching aluminium to aluminium.  Problem is that finding aluminium screws and/or bolts is next to impossible.

Others have said just use a high grade stainless steel screws or bolts with some grease and a nylon washer to slow down/prevent corrosion.

I saw some pictures but I cant tell what Bennington uses other than the heads look rounded...I want it to look nice with a rounded head.

Thanks in advance.

just found this comment on a different message board:  Use stainless screws and Tef-Gel and get the best of all worlds.

Sorry Brentah.  I drew a blank when responding when I should have to your question. I sued stainless steel bolts and nuts /  washers with Tef Gel  Bascially through bolted them through the rub rail.  I apoligize for being so late.  SOunds like you got it taken care of already.

Todd

No problem...yes, I got them installed without issue and they have been doing the job perfectly...no more bunk burn and I can use every snap of my mooring cover now!  Every good dealership should make the rub rail protectors a requirement even if you don't get the rub rail installed - at least until Bennington changes the placement of their snaps on the rail and cover.

Do you guys have a part number for these assuming they are a Bennington option? If I walked into my local dealers parts dept. and asked for these they would look at me cross eyed and give me the "I don't have time for this" attitude if they have to actually look through a catalog or do anything else to have to find an odd part.

Sorry Wild, no part number as they were on my order sheet listed as rub rail protectors.  Best bet would be to call Bennington customer support directly to get the part number and then head to your dealer and tell them you want a discount for doing "THEIR" job. 

Or tell your salesman you're getting the run around in the parts dept.  I do that with my car dealer all the time :)

Wild...I went to the dealer and they ordered them no problem...had them in less t han 10 days..my dealer is pretty small and orders maybe 10 boats per year so if they can do it most anyone's dealer should have no problem.

exactly what are rub rail protectors? any pictures? I just ordered a boat for salt water use. I saw a boat in the marina that had a rubber like guard all around the boat. I was STRONGLY advised by the dealer NOT to get that item for many reasons. He said it mildews and pops out of its frame every time you hit a dock or pole with the boat , not that we do these things intentionally (LOL) any comments would be appreciated

If you didn't get a rub rail I suggest that you do and get it in stainless. The protectors are for trailering.

I am constantly amazed by posts of what some dealers have said to their customers.  Rub Rail PROTECTORS, no you don't want protection

I am constantly amazed by posts of what some dealers have said to their customers.  Rub Rail PROTECTORS, no you don't want protection
I agree Mark.

What kind of "salesperson" talks people out of stuff. I'm not talking B/S used car stuff either.

Sharkhide, rub rail protectors ....... Really ????? 

These are easy, legit, moneymakers for a dealer.

I put them on this past spring. used aluminum rivets. They have saved the trailer stop rug from fraying. Easy to put on and cost me $30.00 each High for two small pieces of aluminum but they do the job. I see no problem using them My dealer was happy to get them for me, and said he should have recommended they when I bought the boat last year.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabbiano

Look in my photo album for pics.  They do 2 jobs.  1. Protect the rub rail from getting hit by the front trailer bunks.  Secondly, they let you remove your cover while on the trialer.  If the front trailer bunks were snug up against the rub rail, then it would be tough to remove the cover snaps.

Hope that helps

Todd

I found this picture on an earlier post about the same topic.

med_gallery_222_137_304542.jpg

Just ordered the protectors

The parts department couldn't locate the parts using 007669.  An hour later they called back and said the 007669 was a good # for the protectors only.  $30 a pair.  900461 is a kit which includes the stainless steel hardware to mount the protectors.  $78 for the pair. Got the kit. 

Just ordered the protectors

The parts department couldn't locate the parts using 007669.  An hour later they called back and said the 007669 was a good # for the protectors only.  $30 a pair.  900461 is a kit which includes the stainless steel hardware to mount the protectors.  $78 for the pair. Got the kit. 
$48 for 4 ss screws, 4 nylock nuts, and 4 flat washers. Ouch. Much more convenient as a kit but for those that have a hardware store with SS hardware, keep in mind that the screws that came in my kit weren't even long enough to properly reach the nylock portion of the nut so had to go out and buy longer ones anyway.

I liked the slightly larger cabinet-style head on the screws in the kit but didn't want to take a chance on them coming loose and losing a rr protector to the bottom of the lake. Hopefully they didn't shortchange you on the length on yours but something to look at closely when putting them on. Make sure they extend into the nylock properly.

I agree on the price but I didn't want a hex headed bolt and I hate going to the big boxes.  It's ok for the dealer to make something off me. 

I agree on the price but I didn't want a hex headed bolt and I hate going to the big boxes.  It's ok for the dealer to make something off me. 
No argument here on that logic. Please report back once you get them. Curious if your kit screws are long enough or if you'll need to find some longer screws too (or go back to Bennington for them). I hope mine was a one-time error on their part. For the cost, it should be right but it was easier for me to just get some longer screws but we likely should have at least made them aware of it.

Since the boat is still at the dealer, I will check before i accept the kit,  Thanks for the heads up

Back