Moving the "U" bolt

highpond

Reaction score
I hope that I didn't mess up, but to hook the strap from the trailer to the boat the "U" bolt is on a rib thats 2 feet under the front rub rail. That means getting in the water up to my knees to hook it up, (30 degree water is not fun in the spring) If the strap isn't hooked when you pull the boat up the ramp it'll slide back a bit. This week I moved the "U" bolt to the Rub Rail. Also moved the strenthing strap up to support the new postion. Today it gets its first test. I'll be able to hook up without leaving the boat.

Welcome to the forum Highpond..............Do you have a picture of the U bolt you are talking about and of the location that you moved it to????? Reason is I don't have a U bolt..............I use the "eye" at the top of my center tube to hook it up to the winch strap...................Okay brain fart. I presume that you have a 2 tube boat and the U bolt is where you attach the winch strap under your boat in the center. Am I correct??????

2 tubes so I don't have the center tube to hook into. Anyone that has the two tube setup has a "U" bolt or simular set up to winch in locater at the first rib..

I had a Bentley and could reach the hookup on the first rib from the front door. I'm hoping this will work out the same. By the way the tube hooks say no lift", Are they strong enough to winch the boat to the stop? 

As long as you also moved the strap that helps distribute the load.(and you said you did) I don't see a problem. On my boat it looks like the rub rail would be as strong as a cross member.

Yeah, you'll "probably" be ok as long as you moved the strap that distributes the load over next joist or two.

I'm betting Bennington did it more for asthetics so it's not sticking out the front.

2 tubes so I don't have the center tube to hook into. Anyone that has the two tube setup has a "U" bolt or simular set up to winch in locater at the first rib..

I had a Bentley and could reach the hookup on the first rib from the front door. I'm hoping this will work out the same. By the way the tube hooks say no lift", Are they strong enough to winch the boat to the stop? 
Yes I have been using the center tube "eye" for 6 years now and have no problem winching the boat up to the trailer...........Thanks for the education.......I didn't know about the "U" bolt set up...........

I agree. 30 degree water is not fun in the spring. It's solid.

I agree. 30 degree water is not fun in the spring. It's solid.
Haha! I was thinking the same thing, Kaydano...................

You're right, 30 degrees does make the water solid even here in SC. How about if I meant 40 degrees. No matter what it's still cold when you it's up to your knees. I tried out the new positioned "U" bolt yesterday. What a breeze. No getting wet No boat slipping back. and I don't think it looks out of place. Now if I could find a place for the table top so that it won't move around and get scratched. We have it in a pillow case on a towel in the helm compartment. Any ideas? The post is great hangs up in the privacy room. 

We leave our table "up". Have not moved it all season.

You're right, 30 degrees does make the water solid even here in SC. How about if I meant 40 degrees. No matter what it's still cold when you it's up to your knees. I tried out the new positioned "U" bolt yesterday. What a breeze. No getting wet No boat slipping back. and I don't think it looks out of place. Now if I could find a place for the table top so that it won't move around and get scratched. We have it in a pillow case on a towel in the helm compartment. Any ideas? The post is great hangs up in the privacy room. 

I like the pillow case idea. We never used ours though and kept it in the house.

I keep mine wrapped in a towel face up slid underneath the raised helm.  Fits perfectly.  Gerry

Maybe I missed it, but which model of boat do you have? In my 09 2075GLi, we put the table under the sundeck, it actually fit standing vertical behind the aluminum framing, with the finished face against the back of the bench beside the helm, worked perfectly. In my first 2275RCW we left it under the change room in the lounger, this RCW it just stays in the house, have never used one of them yet! Haha

Since we don't live on the lake that table is pretty valuable to us! Depending on the number of people we have onboard we either have the food on the table or on the sunpad and then we'll sit around the table to eat.......I think the only time it's been removed from it's floor socket is when Carl, Suzi, Woodenpontoon (Dan and Denise) and others came to Lake Anna for a get together last year..............I wish it was bigger sometimes!

Back