My 1st Pontoon

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2012 Bennington 24ssl today! Little nervous but excited as well. We just need the ice to melt now! I'm a 1st time owner of any kind of boat but I knew from testimonials and word of mouth Bennington was the way to go. Can't wait to try it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new toon. I'm sure you will make many great boating memories soon. You state you are a first time boat owner. You may want to consider a boating safety course or at least familiar yourself with boating safety as this will make you a more confident captain. Hope you will post some pics!

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Many hours of enjoyment are in your future.

good luck,

andy

Congratulations.

Now you need a brand new beer cooler, because none of your old ones is going to be good enough. ;)

Congrats on your new Bennie!! I too was a first time boat owner and let me just say I'm glad I went with Bennington. I been around boats for years and its makes your experience even better when you leave the lake and your still pleased with your boat. I agree a safe boating class would be good and get a copy of your local laws. Good luck and enjoy!!!

A 24 as a 1st boat. Might I suggest you add a few extra bumpers on the side of the boat for the first time you have to dock in a tight space :) I have been boating for 30 years, but until the bennie it was always i/o pleasure boats less then 20 ft. Putting a 22 or 24 bennie into a tight spot on a windy day with an outboard motor raised the hair on the back my neck the 1st time. Easy in, easy out and no shame in scrapping the landing for a re-approach, there is no saving a bad approach sometimes.

Congratulation and Enjoy I know you will love it. *I might suggest you spend the 1st day on it taking out to clear water, throw a floating marker in the water (like a vest ), then practice pulling up to that spot and putting the boat where you want it. It won't take long before you get the hang of it. What you want to avoid is being uncomforitable with handling the boat and having to learn in a tight spot.....making a mistake there will stick with you and make you a nervous boater. Better to work the kinks out of your boat handling skill in open water, where mistakes don't end up as dents in your boat or someone elses,

SD - Congrats! We just bought a 24 SSL in Sept. Only had it out a few times before it got cold.

This book is the best $15 I ever spent. Tons of diagrams (at least 2 on every page) and about 50 pages just on maneuvering in tight spaces with various winds, dock configurations, and currents. Awesome book.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerboat-Handling-Illustrated-Make-Exactly/dp/0071468811/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327710514&sr=8-1

What options did you get? Motor?

dmctruby is absolutely right. I'd recommend a floating pool noodle (you know, those long foam kid's toy tube thingys, 4 inches wide, 6 feet long). Makes for a nice simulated dock edge out in the middle of the lake.

Post some pics! Photos of our 24 SSL are in the gallery, in case you're interested.

Dano

Congratulations.

Now you need a brand new beer cooler, because none of your old ones is going to be good enough. ;)
Isn't that the truth ! So excited to get this boat out, I may just throw a Super Bowl party on it next week while it's stored in my garage after all I do have a TV in my garage. A guy can dream he's on the water right?

SD - Congrats! We just bought a 24 SSL in Sept. Only had it out a few times before it got cold.

This book is the best $15 I ever spent. Tons of diagrams (at least 2 on every page) and about 50 pages just on maneuvering in tight spaces with various winds, dock configurations, and currents. Awesome book.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerboat-Handling-Illustrated-Make-Exactly/dp/0071468811/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327710514&sr=8-1

What options did you get? Motor?

dmctruby is absolutely right. I'd recommend a floating pool noodle (you know, those long foam kid's toy tube thingys, 4 inches wide, 6 feet long). Makes for a nice simulated dock edge out in the middle of the lake.

Post some pics! Photos of our 24 SSL are in the gallery, in case you're interested.

Dano
We ordered this boat the way we wanted it so we went with 150hp Merc. 4 stroke ,the extended deck on the back, picked out our own carpet design and color as well as interior/exterior color. We couldn't ask for an easier Company to work with then Bennington and Recreation Station in Spearfish , SD. Thanks for the advice on the book, I think I will take you up on the suggestion!

A 24 as a 1st boat. Might I suggest you add a few extra bumpers on the side of the boat for the first time you have to dock in a tight space :) I have been boating for 30 years, but until the bennie it was always i/o pleasure boats less then 20 ft. Putting a 22 or 24 bennie into a tight spot on a windy day with an outboard motor raised the hair on the back my neck the 1st time. Easy in, easy out and no shame in scrapping the landing for a re-approach, there is no saving a bad approach sometimes.

Congratulation and Enjoy I know you will love it. *I might suggest you spend the 1st day on it taking out to clear water, throw a floating marker in the water (like a vest ), then practice pulling up to that spot and putting the boat where you want it. It won't take long before you get the hang of it. What you want to avoid is being uncomforitable with handling the boat and having to learn in a tight spot.....making a mistake there will stick with you and make you a nervous boater. Better to work the kinks out of your boat handling skill in open water, where mistakes don't end up as dents in your boat or someone elses,
dmctruby,these extra bumbers ,can they be ordered from Bennington and what about attaching them, would it be an adhesive back to them? Thanks for the heads up!

Great advice from dmctruby on practicing docking/handling your boat in open water by placing a floating object in the water. Invariably you will have the family/guests on your boat when you are approaching a marina and the winds will be a blowing. You will build confidence if you practice. It will make your boating experience much more enjoyable and you will receive the admiration from your significant other and guests.

SD - Did you happen to get the Express pontoon package with 6 strakes (2 per tube)?

I've been waiting for someone to post here that they have the exact same boat we have, except with a 150 HP instead of our 115. Curious what max speed is with that motor, because it was a hard decision. I know you haven't had it on the water yet, but at least I'd know who to ask.

I think dctruby is talking about the fenders/buoys that hang off the side. I bought 6.5" x 23" and wouldn't recommend any smaller.

Isn't that the truth ! So excited to get this boat out, I may just throw a Super Bowl party on it next week while it's stored in my garage after all I do have a TV in my garage. A guy can dream he's on the water right?
Do it! It's good to remind the wimminfolk that we're not quite sane. It gives them something to complain about to their girlfriends and that make's 'em happy. :lol:

indeed I was talking about hanging extra bumbers as pictured until you get the hang of how the boat reacts to throttle and steering inputs. It took me about 20 practice sessions to get comfortable with very tight spaces (talking about putting the boat in a spot with only inches on either side of objects). If you happen to have access to some dock slips that are empty (maybe a restraunt on the water at off times or gas dock not busy you can practice in an area where you don't need to worry about other boats. One last tip, don't leave or enter your doc with the shade cover up, the cover acts like a sail and on a very windy day can make slow nagivation way harder then it needs to be.

SD - Did you happen to get the Express pontoon package with 6 strakes (2 per tube)?

I've been waiting for someone to post here that they have the exact same boat we have, except with a 150 HP instead of our 115. Curious what max speed is with that motor, because it was a hard decision. I know you haven't had it on the water yet, but at least I'd know who to ask.

I think dctruby is talking about the fenders/buoys that hang off the side. I bought 6.5" x 23" and wouldn't recommend any smaller.

Congrats on the new boat! Where will you be boating at in that area? Not too many lakes in the Black Hills area. Lake Pactola is nice but too small and busy for my tastes and Belle fouche reservoir that isn't to bad in size. Or do you head over to Lake Oahe / Missouri river area? Am I snoopy or what? :p I have been to Shade hill a couple times and like it there, haven't been there in years although my wife and I drove through the area and up to the lake last summer to look it over on our way home from the hills, wouldn't be surprised if we don't head that way at least one time next summer. B)

Congrats on the new boat! Where will you be boating at in that area? Not too many lakes in the Black Hills area. Lake Pactola is nice but too small and busy for my tastes and Belle fouche reservoir that isn't to bad in size. Or do you head over to Lake Oahe / Missouri river area? Am I snoopy or what? :p I have been to Shade hill a couple times and like it there, haven't been there in years although my wife and I drove through the area and up to the lake last summer to look it over on our way home from the hills, wouldn't be surprised if we don't head that way at least one time next summer. B)
Wild and Free, I live near Rapid City, so most of our boating will be done at Angostura,near Hot Springs. Pactola is beautiful ,and the Missouri River is calling my name. I believe we'll hit 3 or 4 lakes this summer with the vast majority of our time at Angy.

Back