Nearly a new Benny Owner - Advice on Pontoon vs Tritoon

BenningtonBob

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I signed up almost three years ago when we were considering buying a toon (bought a cabin up north, sold our 2002 Regal Commodore 3060 that we owned for ~15 years and boated on Lake St. Clair in Michigan). Never bought the toon, sold the cabin, but recently moved and now we live on a small private lake.

Which means NOW I'm in the market for a pontoon boat again. Of course, after plenty of re-research, I think we've settled on a Bennington.

We believe we've settled on a very nicely optioned 2021 23 FSB that our local (and well recommended) dealer has in stock. It's the only 23 R series with Pillowtop Diamond Stitched SPORT interior package, which is pretty much the ONLY "must have" that the wife says she wants.

Being a two-toon boat, it's rated up to 150 HP motor, so my choice would be the Yamaha VF150 SHO. It does NOT have factory hydraulic or power assist steering, so I'm having the dealer add the latter (but not the power assist ... yet).

The lake we live on is only 120 acres, so there really isn't much by the way of waves or chop. That's likely where we'll spend the majority of the time. If we were to trailer to another lake, we *might* do that maybe 2-3-4 times a year, tops (we live in Michigan, so boating is pretty much APR to OCT or so), and even if we did, it wouldn't be Lake Erie or even Lake St. Clair, so I wouldn't expect to be in big chop (other than what might be caused by passing boats).

While all of my family members are able-bodied (call us low to mid 50's in age) and our adult kids are in their late 20's/early 30's, a couple of them with small kids), I'm a above knee amputee due to a traumatic car/pedestrian accident (assault, I call it). I've very active, considering that I wear a full prosthetic, but it's not like I'm running marathons. So the use of the boat, whether it's for cruising, entertaining and/or pulling kids/folks on tubes, is largely going to be for what my family and guests want to do.

I see plenty of time when it's just the wife and I, cruising around and enjoying a cocktail on our lake. I do also see lots of times where we might have a total of 4 to 8 total people on there (family, friends), sometimes just cruising and sometimes including pulling the grandkids or maybe an adult around on a tube or raft (no waterskiing, though).

I don't want to be disappointed if our experience with pulling a tube with people on the boat will be hampered by only having two toons. But I also don't see any sense in wasting time or money getting a third toon. That's why I opted for the 150 HP motor as sort of a "consolation" prize, mostly to cover extra weight of extra people. And not that I'd be disappointed with a $77K OTD Bennington ... :D

Will I be satisfied with a well appointed two-toon 23 RFB and a VF150? Or should I go for the tritoon for the times we may go off our lake? The more I think about it, the more I feel like I'm "grocery shopping while hungry". But then again, I've always "bought the best", even sometimes when I didn't need it (did I really need a 2015 F350 6.7L Super Duty when an F150 would have been just fine? LOL).

Just looking for some advice and wisdom of the users on the forums here. I know you can't decide for me, but all comments, questions or smart alec responses are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would consider the Tri toon not only for a better ride but if you are ever going to sell or trade it in. Back in 2012 when we bought ours I also looked at used pontoons. At the time 60hp was almost a standard on used pontoons so didn’t consider. I would think it will be the same for 2 vs 3 toons at this point

I'm surprised they are still selling pontoons when there are tritoons. Especially with that size motor. Lol
It was originally configured/spec'd for sale with the 115 HP.

My guess is that not everybody is going to use their vessel for "sports" (e.g,. tubing, etc.) and lots of folks will buy and stay on one lake that's pretty calm or rarely have more than a couple people on board, so no need for the extra expense of the middle toon that they'll never see the full advantage of. I've read that the third toon, while making it better flotation with heavy loads, for cutting thorough heavier/rough waves and helping the vessel bank in (instead of out like a pontoon) when at higher speeds, they can be harder to dock and trailer costs are higher due to heavier weight. Plus, you typically need to spend more for a bigger motor when getting that third toon.

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but if a boat maxes out at 10 HP, might as well put a 10 on it. If it maxes out at 90 HP, put a 90 on it. And if it maxes out at 150, why settle for the 115? :)

If you're going to pull tubers inside the wake you'll be fine with a pontoon and 115. I don't see any reason to get the 150 other than resale value for your size lake, even if you're putting sea legs on.

If you want to get a tuber outside the wake and give them a thrilling ride you're going to want a tritoon for sure. We're on an 8k acre lake and the SPS with the 150hp is the ticket. If I was on a 120 acre lake, I'd probably convince myself to buy a pontoon with a 115 when a 75 or 90 would be fine, just for resale sake.

Also, VMAX SHO is a bass boat motor. It adds unnecessary complexity and expense to the motor with no benefit you'll actually notice other then the black cowl and graphics.

Last edited:
Based on reading this forum for a couple of months and a year of research, "SPS with the 150hp is the ticket" as RonM noted, probably the ideal spot if your are going to tube and want flexibility to go to bigger lakes.... And have the dollars.

Also, VMAX SHO is a bass boat motor. It adds unnecessary complexity and expense to the motor with no benefit you'll actually notice other then the black cowl and graphics.
Thanks, RonMexico. Two things:

Wife doesn't want to order and wait, wasting this first summer in our new place on the lake. So there's that pressure. Lol.

On the VMAX - Our dealer sells a boatload of boats, mostly Bennington and Harris. They did say that they put the VMAX on most pontoons to give them a little extra out of the hole. I do understand the regular 150 is less complicated, a few less MPG, a few more HP and not terribly too much more $. But I will certainly look into this and talk with my dealer more. Thanks!

If you're going to pull tubers inside the wake you'll be fine with a pontoon and 115. I don't see any reason to get the 150 other than resale value for your size lake, even if you're putting sea legs on.
Oh. My buddy just told me his SIL/BIL, who used to live on our lake, had a 24' pontoon with a 115HP motor. They said if they didn't pull anyone on a tube, they would have been perfectly fine with the 115. However, every time they pulled tubes, they were disappointed and wished they had a 150.

Unfortunately, they don't live on the lake or have that boat anymore for me to try out.

Oh. My buddy just told me his SIL/BIL, who used to live on our lake, had a 24' pontoon with a 115HP motor. They said if they didn't pull anyone on a tube, they would have been perfectly fine with the 115. However, every time they pulled tubes, they were disappointed and wished they had a 150.

Unfortunately, they don't live on the lake or have that boat anymore for me to try out.

Thanks, RonMexico. Two things:

Wife doesn't want to order and wait, wasting this first summer in our new place on the lake. So there's that pressure. Lol.

On the VMAX - Our dealer sells a boatload of boats, mostly Bennington and Harris. They did say that they put the VMAX on most pontoons to give them a little extra out of the hole. I do understand the regular 150 is less complicated, a few less MPG, a few more HP and not terribly too much more $. But I will certainly look into this and talk with my dealer more. Thanks!

Interesting on the VMAX with your dealer. On our lake there are tons of pontoons with Yamaha motors (like hundreds of pontoons, literally) and I've only seen one or two VMAX motors. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with getting one but I err on the side of reliability and the F150 motors are pretty much bullet proof. My comment was more regarding the size of your lake and I don't think you'll notice the difference there unless you're tubing big guys around.

My father, brother, and I all have pontoons on the same lake. For tubing younger kids inside the wake the 90 or 115 is fine depending on length and weight. If you're talking adults and teenagers for sure the 150 is a better choice and resale will be better. If you want to get someone outside the wake you're going to need three tubes. I think most people would tell you to get the 150 if you can afford it and I've heard many owners say their only regret was not getting a larger motor. It's just overkill for the size of your lake but you'll appreciate it on larger water. One thing to keep in mind is the additional weight of the 150 is better balanced out with three tubes.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the dealer can add the express tube as an upgrade. This might be something you can have them do over the winter if you decide you want a tritoon. It's not as good as the SPS but in your situation it would probably make sense since you found the model you want in stock and want it for this year's season. Just be sure to get a bunk trailer so you can add the third toon later if you decide to.

Also, seriously consider adding Sea Legs or Ultra Legs! We end up parking a lot in different areas of the lake to hang out and the legs are super convenient. Plus you don't need a separate pontoon lift at the dock. Note they are different designs if you have a pontoon or tritoon but you can put the more costly tritoon legs on a pontoon without issues.

100% I'll tell anyone who asks to get the SPS hull and 150 HP, if possible. Then add sea legs. It's a terrific combination for just about everything. Its like a half ton crew cab 4wd pickup with a V8- it's not the best at anything but will do everything quite well. (BTW- I love horsepower too. My pickup has the 6.2 V8. My last truck was a 5.3 and it was perfectly fine but I couldn't resist 'bigger' when I had the opportunity to upgrade. I don't need it but I love it!)

Maximum hp possible and Tritoon, you get to enjoy it while you own it and cash in when you sell it.
I bought a brand new 2016 Corvette Z06 a few years back. It sat in the garage all but a day a week, as I didn't want to put miles on it commuting to work and tearing it up (rocks & road debris). A year and a half later, I sold it (and took a small loss). I feel like maxing out with a tritoon, 150HP motor and PA/HS would benefit at resale (if we did ever sell), but that these options would largely "sit in the garage" like the Z06 did. Not literally, but you know what I mean. Plus, that means we'd have to order it, and God knows when that would get built. :(

I appreciate all the comments and such, as they are helping me shape my final decisions.

I hate to say my friend it sounds like you need two different boats. A standard pontoon will be fine for cruising and enjoying an evening but I feel when you want to take the family and friends out you will be disappointed with the performance. The standard pontoon will be weighed down (check and see what the weight rating even is) and will only plow through the water.

An SPS tritoon will be able to corner better for pulling a tube and with the increased buoyancy of the tritoon you will be able to get up on plane better. This will be important when you are loaded up with people and when tubing. With a smaller lake you will be turning a lot so the seastar steering would be a good option. The 150 would put you in the Goldilocks zone. Just right. If you are concerned about getting a boat in stock I would suggest you check out Miller Marine in MN. They are one of the largest dealers of Bennington in the country and have a couple of them in stock. They had over 200 boats in stock in early February when I went to see my boat and I see are now down to 100. They have been good to work with.
Hope this helps you and good luck on your journey with getting the best boat for you!

Hey, everybody. I signed up almost three years ago when we were considering buying a toon (bought a cabin up north, sold our 2002 Regal Commodore 3060 that we owned for ~15 years and boated on Lake St. Clair in Michigan). Never bought the toon, sold the cabin, but recently moved and now we live on a small private lake.

Which means NOW I'm in the market for a pontoon boat again. Of course, after plenty of re-research, I think we've settled on a Bennington.

We believe we've settled on a very nicely optioned 2021 23 FSB that our local (and well recommended) dealer has in stock. It's the only 23 R series with Pillowtop Diamond Stitched SPORT interior package, which is pretty much the ONLY "must have" that the wife says she wants.

Being a two-toon boat, it's rated up to 150 HP motor, so my choice would be the Yamaha VF150 SHO. It does NOT have factory hydraulic or power assist steering, so I'm having the dealer add the latter (but not the power assist ... yet).

The lake we live on is only 120 acres, so there really isn't much by the way of waves or chop. That's likely where we'll spend the majority of the time. If we were to trailer to another lake, we *might* do that maybe 2-3-4 times a year, tops (we live in Michigan, so boating is pretty much APR to OCT or so), and even if we did, it wouldn't be Lake Erie or even Lake St. Clair, so I wouldn't expect to be in big chop (other than what might be caused by passing boats).

While all of my family members are able-bodied (call us low to mid 50's in age) and our adult kids are in their late 20's/early 30's, a couple of them with small kids), I'm a above knee amputee due to a traumatic car/pedestrian accident (assault, I call it). I've very active, considering that I wear a full prosthetic, but it's not like I'm running marathons. So the use of the boat, whether it's for cruising, entertaining and/or pulling kids/folks on tubes, is largely going to be for what my family and guests want to do.

I see plenty of time when it's just the wife and I, cruising around and enjoying a cocktail on our lake. I do also see lots of times where we might have a total of 4 to 8 total people on there (family, friends), sometimes just cruising and sometimes including pulling the grandkids or maybe an adult around on a tube or raft (no waterskiing, though).

I don't want to be disappointed if our experience with pulling a tube with people on the boat will be hampered by only having two toons. But I also don't see any sense in wasting time or money getting a third toon. That's why I opted for the 150 HP motor as sort of a "consolation" prize, mostly to cover extra weight of extra people. And not that I'd be disappointed with a $77K OTD Bennington ... :D

Will I be satisfied with a well appointed two-toon 23 RFB and a VF150? Or should I go for the tritoon for the times we may go off our lake? The more I think about it, the more I feel like I'm "grocery shopping while hungry". But then again, I've always "bought the best", even sometimes when I didn't need it (did I really need a 2015 F350 6.7L Super Duty when an F150 would have been just fine? LOL).

Just looking for some advice and wisdom of the users on the forums here. I know you can't decide for me, but all comments, questions or smart alec responses are welcome. Thanks!
I’ve had several pontoons over the years, I just sold my 2013 Harris Solstice Tritoon with Verado 150 (private lake HP restrictions). The boat I chose to replace it with was a new Bennington with the express 3rd tube and 115 HP mercury command thrust. I know how we use our boat and this was the very best option for us. 95% of the time just us on the boat, 75% of the time low speed cruise or slow trolling. The express weighs less, cost less, and will be perfect for us on our 900 acre private lake. The few times we have more folks with us I’m not worried about the extra weight with the express package and as long as I can cruise mid 20’s which I can with ease, I have zero issues.

i ordered my twin 32" elip R series pontoon boat back in 2011 when the kids were mini. While I will say I am still very pleased with the boat (150hp Pro Xs merc on the back), towing them on a tube back then and even up until a year so ago was perfectly fine. Yes, with a 2 toon boat ( with inside and outside strakes), you could get them to whip around outside the wake. BUT, there are much better toon configurations IF watersports are your thing. I would not recommend any 2 tube boat even a twin elip if watersports are your thing. They still slide into turns etc and it takes some effort to get them cracking the whip. I do have hyd steering which helps.

Kids are now gonna be 19 next month month and 16 in August. Watersports were 5-10% of usage of the boat. So i wasn't really concerned with being able to carve turns while towing somebody. I wanted the twin elips for the stability and rough water handling capability without having to spend a arm and a leg for the ESP back then. Haven't looked to see what the difference is now between twin elips and ESP but back then it was over $8K from what I can remember and like $6K to goto a tri toon SPS hull. I used that money to buy all the extra creature comforts like Interior / exterior lighting, underwater lighting, faux teak rear deck, raised helm, ec

We have kind of a unique situation where we have a cottage on Saginaw Bay in Michigan (Caseville) and our cousins have a cottage 2 doors down from us. They both have big 24 foot Yamaha jet boats and 90% of the water sports are done using those boats. Loading up people and heading to the sand bar or fishing etc is done on our pontoon. Or we all take our boats and head the sand bar and everyone congregates on our boat and then if somebody wants to tube, they take the jet boats to do so.

My advice to you, is buy the boat that is suited to the 90+% the usage you intend to use it for. If that's a small 120 acre late and just cruising around and you can get on the water this year as the boat is in stock, then go for it. We all want our cake and eat it too. Would I have loved a ESP package and 350hp motor, sure. But my "needs" vs my "wants" couldn't justify the extra cost.

Good luck with your decision.

Back