Need advice for dock bumpers

Pattycake

Reaction score
For the first time, we have rented a slip at nearby marina to park our 24 ft Bennington long term. The slip we have reserved is brand new and after seeing it for the first time last weekend, I realized the bumpers and the 12" corner wheels I had ordered is not going to work. The exposed bolts on the upright metal posts is a major concern. I prefer to attach something to the dock (which we have permission to do so), instead of messing with bumpers on the boat.

Can someone advise me on what product(s) would work best, how many needed, and best placement? The corners will definitely need something as the river current is pretty strong and I anticipate issues just getting into the slip. Want to keep it under $300 total if possible.

Thank you.

Attachments

• dock1.jpg
    dock1.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 95
  • dock 2.jpg
    dock 2.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 93
Oh yeah you're going to have to definitely cover those upright aluminum stanchions. What are your neighboring slips using to cover it and the rest of the slip? Just Google dock protector and all kinds of products come up. Also check out Overtons, West Marine, Amazon etc. It's not cheap but it'll be worth it to protect your boat in the long run. Your slip seems to be pretty well protected with all those surrounding slips. Also our old slip had heavy duty plastic surrounding it and we still used bumpers on the boat.......

For the first time, we have rented a slip at nearby marina to park our 24 ft Bennington long term. The slip we have reserved is brand new and after seeing it for the first time last weekend, I realized the bumpers and the 12" corner wheels I had ordered is not going to work. The exposed bolts on the upright metal posts is a major concern. I prefer to attach something to the dock (which we have permission to do so), instead of messing with bumpers on the boat.

Can someone advise me on what product(s) would work best, how many needed, and best placement? The corners will definitely need something as the river current is pretty strong and I anticipate issues just getting into the slip. Want to keep it under $300 total if possible.

Thank you.
Maybe zip tie pool noodles to the posts, Cut to fit the length.Cheap fix

Welcome Pattycake! I have a U-shaped slip that looks similar to yours but I don't use bumpers. Instead, I just tie it off tight so it can't get near any of the docks. That said, I also don't have a river current to contend with.

Welcome Pattycake! I have a U-shaped slip that looks similar to yours but I don't use bumpers. Instead, I just tie it off tight so it can't get near any of the docks. That said, I also don't have a river current to contend with.
I used to do the same thing. If you tie it correctly it never hits the sides. I think she's talking about when they will pull into or out of the slip. They are bound to hit the sides sometime and those aluminum uprights look like it'll do some damage if not covered somehow.....

I saw this solution at our marina:

Attachments

• 2021-06-21 08.06.46.jpg
    2021-06-21 08.06.46.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 63
I have had scraps on my hull despite using hangin buoys from the tritoon. This is because you can’t rely on your passengers to keep an eye open and adjust bouy placement if your situation has changed. In my case water level can vary 4 feet in the resovoir. What works a week ago doesn’t work next time. I agree that the padding to slip must be attached it. In my view the entrance corners need full vertical bumpers on both the front corners at least 3” thick and 4” wide on the front of each slip arm with full corner cover and 4” on the start of slip entry. This is needed for wind or current issues starting into the slip. In my cast the lags backed out over time “Scratch!”.
The vertical pads need to be close together. Perhaps placed 12” on center the first 10’ as you would enter the slip. After that the pads could be 3’ or 4’ on center.
In most cases this placement allows entry in the slip without relying on a bow spotter with a pole. Winds above 12 or 15 mph are problematic.
The above suggestion would not work if the deck of slip does not freely float to adjust in depth change or from wave action you could have your pontoons going under your pads.
In my case the marina would not repair the tube damage despite there lags/hardware backed out of dock sides as you are advised in contract they are not liable.
Dan

Back