Need help with different models

UPTHECREEK

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm trying so hard to build a new Bennington but I'm not sure the difference in G series and SX.  What Im trying to build is a 22 to 24 ft. with the best performing toon configuration ( tri toon ? ) with highest top speed.  Thanks 

The order of models from lowest price to highest is

S --> G  --> R  --> Q

There are build-differences between and S series Bennington and a G series Bennington. Frame and crossmembers are more robust on the G...more metal under there.  

If you want the fastest pontoon...counter-intuitively...those are twin (not tri-toon) ellipticals.

There are handling characteristics that are brought into play with the triple pontoon setups...but for top speed in a straight line on calm water - it's big HP and twin elliptical pontoons with strakes and wave shield. 

JeffS is correrct upthecreek that elepticals are the fastest but there are other factors to consider as well.  If you are looking to tow or ski then the ESP configuration would be your choice, if you are looking to load your boat with friends then the SPS is your choice.  As far as top end speed then the S series is the one as it is the lightest of the boats, if you are looking for more luxury then work your way up the order JeffS shows you.

The best way to build a boat is to first identify how you are going to use it.  How many on it and what activities are you going to do.  if you need any more help list these activities and desires here because we all love to help spending your money :)

The bottom line is they are all Benningtons and no matter what series they are the best built pontoon boat

This forum is Very Good at spending other peoples money .

Order everything you want or you may come down with a case of P.A.D.s. (several of us have ) 

S= Standard

G= Got More Money

R= Really need more money

Q= Quickly eliminates all your money 

Good thing is from S-Q, the fun factor is all the same !!! 

LOL !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said SEMPERFI, Well said!!, The bottom line,,,,, Money does not buy Happiness, But a Bennington does!!

Just saying

"Best performing" is not necessarily the fastest when you come to boats.  And costs have to come into consideration when you're talking performance.

The twin ellipticals may run 2 mph faster than a tritoon and get slightly better fuel mileage.  But 2 toon boats are not as seaworthy as a tritoon, and two toons don't handle nearly as well as three.

The Express tritoon runs about the same speed as the Sport Performance tritoon, and it's $3K less.  It's also $1.2K less than the Ellipticals.  It's a good compromise cost wise, and I'm very satisfied with mine and the F150 Yamaha engine.

Everyone says to get as large of a motor as you can afford.  They're right.  If someone is especially price conscious, they need to stay in a 2 toon boat with a smaller engine--boring.  For water sports and a fair price, go with 150 hp and the Express tube.  If they're wanting a higher performance combo, the SPS and a F200 Yamaha is a fine performer in every way.  

If money is less of an object, a high performance Elliptical Sport Package (ESP) with 300 horsepower is an incredible ride.

You can make owning a pontoon/tritoon boat anything you want out of it.

Here is the deal.  If you are OK with spending some money, the Tri Toons are the way to go.  The handling is so much better.  Also, I disagree that 2 toons are faster.  The same boat as a two toon in a Tri Toon will out run it all day long, you know why, you can put a larger engine on it, period.  :)

Here is our 24sslx with the sps package and a yamaha 200. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR-1yh3MYjI For me the S line was all that I needed and with the full tritoon and decent motor size it does everything I want. I also added the salt water package and sealed strakes in the event I ever make it to Florida before I wear this one out.  

The handling in the turns are the difference between the elliptical and the tri-toons.  Our ESP handles like a v-hulled runabout.  When you watch the videos, the boats really turn like that.  The ellipticals lean to the outside of the turn at speed.  If you are going to do any water sports, don't get the elliptical. We got it for the extra buoyancy as we can have 8 people on the boat for fishing.   They both work well and fill different needs. 

The handling in the turns are the difference between the elliptical and the tri-toons.  Our ESP handles like a v-hulled runabout.  When you watch the videos, the boats really turn like that.  The ellipticals lean to the outside of the turn at speed.  If you are going to do any water sports, don't get the elliptical. We got it for the extra buoyancy as we can have 8 people on the boat for fishing.   They both work well and fill different needs. 
Not sure why you say don't get the elliptical if you are doing water sports?  Those videos all have the elliptical and are doing the water sports.  You can turn much better with the ESP, so I would think it is better, no?

Edit:  Maybe I misunderstood you, do you mean just the two toon elliptical?  If so, I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the two toons.  We have both style of boats and the difference is huge. 

Here is our 24sslx with the sps package and a yamaha 200. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR-1yh3MYjI For me the S line was all that I needed and with the full tritoon and decent motor size it does everything I want. I also added the salt water package and sealed strakes in the event I ever make it to Florida before I wear this one out.  
 Lakeliving thanks for sharing video , your boat looks awesome running....... and fast !!   I guess I should tell everyone how I'm planning on using a pontoon for better suggestions and input.  I'm Not planning on towing with it ( I have a tow boat w/tower ) Not planning on fishing. Basically for cruising and entertaining , and still want performance. 22' to  24' 150HP or bigger. Im thinking a G series.

I am another member with a tow boat. I don't use my Benny for water sports at all. It's equipped for it.. But I don't. A 22' G series boat with SPS maxes out at 200hp. and that's plenty if you ask me. Which you kinda' did in an indirect sort of way. I can hit 40. Which I used to do all the time once. Actually I only did it once. But it will do it. A big luxurious tritoon next to a tow boat...an epic setup. You never have to ask either boat to do what it wasn't really intended to do. When we are cruising to make time, the Malibu and the Bennington both cruise very comfortably at 35mph. You can't go wrong with any of them. The G is a great choice. Enough extra to make it worth the premium over an S. And the extras you get with an R, in my opinion, aren't as big a deal. The R helm is the one exception. It is substantially different and better than the G.

Word of advice when you get your boat and hang out here...resist the urge to answer the threads titled "how do you store your tube/ski/wakeboard/rope/boogie board/etc... Resist the urge to say you store those in the other boat. :)

Thanks JeffS Good info........   The wife and I got to check out a few new models this afternoon and pick up an actual Bennington brochure .  We really liked a 2275GCW  they had. It was rigged with a 150 Yamaha with twin ellipticals w/ lifting strakes..... I'm thinking I could be satisfied  with a 2275GCW with the SPS Pkg. ?  and a 200 

If you look at the capacity plate to the right of the helm seat, it has very specific instructions how many people to have at your boating parties, how much they are supposed to weigh, and which motor should be on the back. My yellow sticker says I am supposed to have me, my wife and 10 additional friends who weigh on avg 125 pounds each. I assume those will be ladies. I don't know any 125# men. So...sorry honey...just following instructions. And the yellow sticker also specifies a 200hp motor. Anyone with fewer HPs is bad at following instructions. If the yellow sticker says 250...then 250 it is. I think the boat you are considering instructs you to put a 200 on it. Be a good listener. Do as the yellow sticker instructs. :)

Translation...Max your HP. And SPS is great in my opinion. Get the rough water pkg and wave shield (I think SPS defaults to having the wave shield included).

No one sells a boat because the motor is too big. Just plan from the beginning to max your HP.

Another perk of the R series is the seating. The G is nice, but the R has fold down armrests with cupholders, and is tapered out where the front seating is to provide a little more area for your rump if you aren't 125# lady. Having had both a G and an R, Jeff is right, the R helm is nicer, especially with the elevated helm. If you do decide on a GCW, which is also a very nice boat, get the upgraded R helm captain's chair, it's mighty comfy, speaking as the captain! SPS is definitely nice to have, even just for launching the boat! The added buoyancy is great, but the ESP is incredible!! I took a couple out who had a tritoon (different brand) with a 150hp, out on our last boat with ESP and a 200hp, well let me tell you they could not believe the turning abilities of ESP. No comparison. Needless to say, they traded in their 1 year old boat and bought a Bennington. 

As nice as it would be to have two separate boats for different activities, I don't think MY passengers would want to wait on the dock for two hours while I drove home to get the other boat. Maybe you live on the lake and that isn't an issue, but I have a boat that does everything a pontoon boat should do AMAZINGLY, and most things the other boat does pretty decently. No I can't make a 3ft wake for surfing, which is okay, cuz I don't surf! Can I pull a wakeboarder? Easily, for someone starting out it is more than enough. Heck if the Wakeboarder is that good, they can make a jump out of anything! I love our boat. Don't get to use it enough and the wife keeps saying we should sell it, but not sure I'm ready for that. If I could just get one good season out of it to show her its worthwhile. 

We have 2275 with twin ellipticals, lifting strakes, underskining, and a 150.  With just my wife and I close to 40 MPH depending on conditions.  I don't know any different, haven't been on a different pontoon or different pontoon setup, but we tube and ski without a problem.  The 200 wasn't available when we got ours, and I wouldn't get less than a 150 even if we weren't using for skiing and tubing.

Back