Need recommendation for boat cover for in water docked pontoon?

basslake

Reaction score
Hi all, I own a Bennington 2007 2075RL pontoon that stays docked from May thru September.

My original boat cover is on its last year and need to find one hopefully that matches the original as close as possible. I’ve seen several places on the internet “iBoat” for one that sells Sumbrella covers but from what I can tell, they are made for out of water winter storage.

I need a good quality cover made for a boat in the water, can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance

Rodney

Try your dealer for a Bennington cover. Also try ebay as there was a dealer (?) selling some on there. Another member on here got one there a year or so ago.

Try your dealer for a Bennington cover. Also try ebay as there was a dealer (?) selling some on there. Another member on here got one there a year or so ago.
Thanks for the eBay tip, I looked there previously but found nothing definitive, hopefully the other member here will chime in with info on what they bought on eBay.

I tried my dealer and they said Bennington only sells covers for up-to 3 year old models, so no luck with them.

Is what basslake says is correct?  If they only guarantee covers for 3 years I think I would have to consider buying one and storing it, which puts me in a quandary because at this point I really have no idea how long I will have my Bennington.

But they warranty up to 5 years? They must keep some on hand or else manufacturer makes it as needed.

You might try a local upholstery shop or a canvas company. They could probably duplicate yours pretty easily if you took it to them. It's just shapes of panels sewn together. Probably somewhat costly though.

I specifically asked them to try and get one from Bennington but was told about the 3 year old rule. Which I found odd since we keep our boats long after the covers wear out. So surely some after market company is picking up this slack somewhere.

I am really trying to avoid the custom upholstery route because I just know someone out there is making them. I don't really care if it is held in place by the quick snaps that came with the original. As long as the cover ends above the bumper line and maybe has an elastic snug rope sewn in the bottom and support some kind of tent poles.

Last edited by a moderator:
basslake......I don't think your dealer is correct because I called a large Bennington dealer near me (Wilson Marine in Brighton, Michigan) just 4 weeks ago about this very same thing as my cover is also close to needing replaced (I have a 2005 model).  They called Bennington and were able to give me a price on a cover directly from them....again, for my 2005 model boat.  They did state though that it would not come with any snaps in the cover.  I (you) would have to bring the boat by for them to mate the snaps in the cover with where they are located on the boat.

Keith, why would it be that they know the exact cover for your model boat but don't know where the snaps are located?

Well you have to have things mated up exactly correct or else (obviously) they won't snap.  The only way to ensure this is to physically have the boat there while they place the female end of the snaps in the cover.  The main point though is that they were able to get a cover directly from Bennington and my boat is a 2005 model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith, why would it be that they know the exact cover for your model boat but don't know where the snaps are located?
I think the factory installs the snaps and or panel snaps during production. If a snaps off even 1/4" it probably won't line up, so you have to install the snaps on site.

You can buy the heavy duty PROPER snap tool for $100-ish on ebay. DO NOT BUY the $39 kits, they will break. I think its a HOOVER snap tool.

basslake......I don't think your dealer is correct because I called a large Bennington dealer near me (Wilson Marine in Brighton, Michigan) just 4 weeks ago about this very same thing as my cover is also close to needing replaced (I have a 2005 model).  They called Bennington and were able to give me a price on a cover directly from them....again, for my 2005 model boat.  They did state though that it would not come with any snaps in the cover.  I (you) would have to bring the boat by for them to mate the snaps in the cover with where they are located on the boat.
I agree 100% with you Keith, I always felt they were not trying hard enough not only on this cover but some other issues I had before.

Just emailed with Mike at Tumacs covers and will be ordering the exact cover that came with my boat new in 2007.

[SIZE=11pt]tumacsmike [at] comcast.net[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I will post back how the experience went. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Thanks to all the advice I received here from other members![/SIZE]

FYI, for boats 2008 and newer the patterns are in Elkhart IN.  574-264-5000

Back