New Bennington R with GPS ?

sunnyside360

Reaction score
Currently looking to buy a new 2014 Bennington R model pontoon boat (leaning toward RL2375). Anyway trying to get info on the optional Garmin Color GPS (inland) feature which is an $824 option. Dealer doesn't seem to know whole lot and can't find much on the web -- knowing the model number would help. Don't really care about the color display feature but would like it to show water depth, water temperature, and boat speed as a minimum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming it will still be the Garmin 431 and yes it shows all that. Even all on one screen! Plus heading, battery voltage, and if there is any fish!!

Yup, Garmin 431s is what I installed on our boat and it gives you a lot of info. I bought it for under $400.00 and installed it myself.

For the new model year Bennington I'd hope they would be stepping up to a GPS that is NMEA 2000 compatible. Guess not, unless they are trying to exhaust their 431s stock. If I were doing it all over I'd have it installed after. Take a look at Toms install, simply awesome.

My dealer installed my Garmin 531. I bought it at the GPS Store out of FL. The 431 has a 4 inch screen and the 531 has a 5 inch screen. It was a lot less than the Bennington option. The dealer installed it as part of the deal. I love it. Has saved my butt after dark in a rain storm, bringing me back to the ramp.

Sorry. You can get a lot of info at the thegpsstore.com the correct model would be Garmin GPS Map 431 or Garmin GPS Map 531

Many thanks guys. I found the manuals online for this model and can now see what it does. Looks like it will do all that I want and more.

I had my dealer place the Garmin 531 on my R and it just fit although the cover does not fully snap shut, I just wanted the 5" screen rather than the 4 so I didn't have to put on glasses to see it

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my dealer place the Garmin 531 on my R and it just fit although the cover does not fully snap shut, I just wanted the 5" screen rather than the 4 so I didn't have to put on glasses to see it
Good point since my eyes are definitely not what they used to be. Will consider doing this also. Thanks.

So now I'm interested in spending more $$ on my toy. For all of you who have upgraded your fishfinder models, is the 431 literally plug and play? I know the 531 is larger, but I'm more interested in easy than dremelling out my dash.

Noah: I kept the basic Garmin depth/fish finder that came on the boat from Bennington and ordered the 531 GPS without a transducer. So I have both. I have a G with the R raised helm. My dealer mounted the 531 on the left side of the helm on a nice Ram mount. It is easy to remove and take it with you or lock it up for security. Without the transducer all that is required is a hot and a ground. It does have the NMEA 2000 connections but are not required.

David

I mounted ours where the depth finder was and yes, there was cutting. the rest is plug and play. I didn't want it sitting on top or side of dash. But, that's just me. B) Pics of the install are in my gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will love the garmin 431s. It does everything but clean the fish. I really like the split screen function.

Got the new 2014 Bennington 2275 RL this week.  It came with the Garmin echoMAP 50s unit.   Haven't really had a chance to use it due to weather -- looks like maybe next spring if the weather man gets his way.   Looking at the manual it will do everything I want and a lot more.  This boat came with an analog GPS speedometer.  Can't wait to see how it compares with the Garmin.

Back