new boat have a couple questions.

kshotwell43

Reaction score
I just bought a 2574gcw with a 250 verado. The boat with 7 people in it runs about 41-42mph and with 2 people half tank ran 45mph. When I'm trimming the motor up anything past 1 on the trim gauge the boat slows down and only revs to about 5800-6000 tops. It has an interia prop on it currently. It just seems like I'm not even trimming the motor up enough but the boat falls over. Boat has the ESP Package on it. I'm new to outboards any help is appreciated.

I just bought a 2574gcw with a 250 verado. The boat with 7 people in it runs about 41-42mph and with 2 people half tank ran 45mph. When I'm trimming the motor up anything past 1 on the trim gauge the boat slows down and only revs to about 5800-6000 tops. It has an interia prop on it currently. It just seems like I'm not even trimming the motor up enough but the boat falls over. Boat has the ESP Package on it. I'm new to outboards any help is appreciated.
Congrats and welcome!

It's a bit hard to say as it seems like the calibration on these is different from engine to engine. Your "1" might be my "5" or "6". Even with a 250, pontoons are not as responsive to trim as a V-hull I/O fiberglass boat would be. The ideal is for the motor to most efficient when the cav plate is about level or slightly trimmed up. After that you're going to lose speed (i.e. forward thrust) rather quickly. 

I was hoping to see 51-52 out of this boat with cruising speeds in the low 40s. Looks like I'm going to have to do a couple things to get there. Where should I start? Cavitation plate adjustment?

You'd probably need a 350 to consistently hit 51-52 in a 25' G/R/Q RCW. They're fairly heavy boats in this option trim. 

The first step is to let the motor break in properly, at least 20 hours. Then consider variables of prop selection, engine height, weight distribution, etc. Of course, there is always the Simon Motorsports ECU re-flash to get you to 310+ hp. Technically it voids the warranty, so that's the risk you take, which for a V-Rod is a significant one.

Motor height looks pretty good. I wouldn't go higher. I'm not sure what your RPM's were at 45 mph, but the Verado can rev safely up to 6400. My 250 Pro tops at about 6250 with an 18p Enertia prop and light load, which is optimum for my use. If you're a little low on RPM with the 15p, the Enertias are available in 1" increments. A 16p or maybe even 17p might work if you're under 6000 now. It's typically 100-200 extra RPM per 1". There would be a tradeoff in midrange punch and acceleration, especially with a load aboard.

You should physically check where your engine is trimmed when you just start to lose rpm's and speed, this will help you determine if your trim gauge should be calibrated differently.

Well I can see the problem, the boat is upside down! If you flip it over, the reduced drag should get you where you want to be. I gotta be honest, I'm surprised you were able to go as fast as you did, couldn't have been comfortable though! Hehe 

LOL!

Well I can see the problem, the boat is upside down! If you flip it over, the reduced drag should get you where you want to be. I gotta be honest, I'm surprised you were able to go as fast as you did, couldn't have been comfortable though! Hehe
I thought that's why I bought a tri-toon more toons to sit on while we're cruising around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motor height looks pretty good. I wouldn't go higher. I'm not sure what your RPM's were at 45 mph, but the Verado can rev safely up to 6400. My 250 Pro tops at about 6250 with an 18p Enertia prop and light load, which is optimum for my use. If you're a little low on RPM with the 15p, the Enertias are available in 1" increments. A 16p or maybe even 17p might work if you're under 6000 now. It's typically 100-200 extra RPM per 1". There would be a tradeoff in midrange punch and acceleration, especially with a load aboard.
Tom, maybe I am not understanding. I thought the larger pitch, the lower the top end RPM.

Cheers, Steve

Tom, maybe I am not understanding. I thought the larger pitch, the lower the top end RPM.

Cheers, Steve
Steve, I think Tom was speaking in reverse.    B)

Find a river that's flowing fast and drive down it if you want in the 50's, just kidding

The 25 is a lot more boat than the 22 or 23. I bumped up to the 16p. The 17 just didn't have the overall performance for tubing, figure 8 high speed turns, and overall acceleration.

Also, keep your toons clean. I lost 10mph the first half season before my lift came in.

I had to have my trim recalibrated also. I think that I run pretty close trailing before I back off because of slip. 11 or 12

Last edited by a moderator:
Video won't play, it says it is private?

Cheers, Steve
Wow, that was an extreme senior moment! Thanks for the correction.

The video is private, way to build suspense!

I had my 24SSLX out the other day, and I was a little short on rpm's and top speed.  I attribute this to 96 degrees and 85 degree water temperatures.

They run a little faster earlier in the year or up in the Fall.

Back