New boat light question

Dev75

Reaction score
NYS Finger Lakes Region - Skaneateles Lake
Just finished designing our new Bennington with the dealer but stuck on a few options.  Do we go with the underwater lights?  Does it really help or is it more of a cool gadget?  Is there any big difference between the basic docking lights and the stainless steel LED docking lights?   

First of all let me just say... Welcome to the group. Don't forget to post specs and pics.

We have the underwater lights. I think they are more of a cool gadget (Very Cool). We also have the Stainless LED docking lights and I would definitely say these are very useful and much brighter and more intense than the standard. Just my opinion.

The clearer the water you have the cooler the lights become. The lake I boated on was a greenish chocolate milk looking stuff. Couldn't see your hand a foot under water. BUT when on a lake with clearer water... It was awesome to watch the fish. Also pay attention to local laws some limit the use to where it's not even usable.

First of all let me just say... Welcome to the group. Don't forget to post specs and pics.

We have the underwater lights. I think they are more of a cool gadget (Very Cool). We also have the Stainless LED docking lights and I would definitely say these are very useful and much brighter and more intense than the standard. Just my opinion.
First of all, Wecome Newboat! We have a new 2016 SLX21. My boat is on a river in FL, so not much sandbar sitting with pretty lights on. We opted NOT to buy the underwater, but it's pretty much a choice. As for the docking lights, our dealer told us the brightness and light output was the same for both the SS and plastic lights. Being a guy that retired from the plastics industry, I am loyal to my old "moneymaker" for the right applications. Either way you will love your Benny!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get the underwater lights, but I'm never out at night, so not a selling point to me. One other thing to note about the SS docking lights, they don't crack if you accidentally step on them, plus they look sleeker. Just my opinion.

Welcome to the club.

I do not have the under water light either, think it is a cool factor thing, was not available on my model when I bought mine.

But I do have the stainless docking lights and like them a lot.  Like Derrick said, much more durable than the plastic.  

I have all the light options and in my opinion the most impressive is the side light illumination.  If I had to choose between the underwater and the ide lights it isn't even close.  I also would select the bimini, cup holders and mood lighting over the underwater.  That is not to say that I don't like the underwater, I am glad I have that as well, It is cool looking over the sides and seeing it, I am simply listing them in my order of preference.  I also added additional blue ice led strips under the seats.  We obviously do quite a bit of night time party cruising, in 2012 no one else on the lake had lighting like this, in just 3 years it is quite common

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate the feedback and am looking forward to being in the club so to speak!

I have both the stainless and the plastic lights.  The stainless lights look much better and classier.  I have never used them so I can't speak to the illumination difference.  You pay a premium for the stainless.  IMHO, i would save the money on the underwater lighting and get the stainless lights.  Everybody will see the lights on the front of your boat.  The plastic lights are the only thing that looks cheap on the small boat.  

I had the plastic on my 1st Bennington ,Stainless on this one .They do look much better and they have a lower profile .

Plus depending on how you board your boat they can be stepped on and not break. We board from the bow so it was a no brainer for us to go with the stainless. I think they look bad a$$ as well.

I have both the stainless and the plastic lights.  The stainless lights look much better and classier.  I have never used them so I can't speak to the illumination difference.  You pay a premium for the stainless.  IMHO, i would save the money on the underwater lighting and get the stainless lights.  Everybody will see the lights on the front of your boat.  The plastic lights are the only thing that looks cheap on the small boat.  
Speaking of only the Dock lights, yes the stainless are much better looking however for illumination they really don't light up your way at all when pulling into the dock.  I put solar dock lights at the end of my slip to guide me in.  Prior to the slip lights I found it very difficult to see only using the docking lights

I think my docking lights work great. They light up the whole back of my house when coming in. The led's sure make the aluminum uprights on my lift shine too so super easy coming in. What is your b.a.c Mark after a long night?????? :p

I think my docking lights work great. They light up the whole back of my house when coming in. The led's sure make the aluminum uprights on my lift shine too so super easy coming in. What is your b.a.c Mark after a long night?????? :p
Maybe it is me Lakeliving.  I am somewhat surprised to hear you say that the docking lights work so well. 

I would love to hear what others say as to how well their's work as I stand by my statement that they hardly help at all. 

It's not like car headlights but they are bright enough for my needs. I think most would agree with you though.

We have the plastic lights because when we bought our boat, stainless steel wasn't invented yet. :)   I replaced the bulbs with Silverstar Ultras and I can see everything. I do agree the stainless lights are nicer looking.

I got the plastic docking lights because I heard they were brighter, although I don't know if that's really true since I have nothing to compare it with.  Turns out I don't really need them because our marina docks are well lit.  The lights do illuminate pretty well though if I ever went to a strange dock at night (which is doubtful).  

Although we always board via the bow they've never been in the way.  All that being said, if I upgrade boats in the future I'll get the stainless because they do look classier.

Maybe it is me Lakeliving.  I am somewhat surprised to hear you say that the docking lights work so well. 

I would love to hear what others say as to how well their's work as I stand by my statement that they hardly help at all. 

I also use mine when traveling through the canals toward the boat ramp at night. Works very well for me. They light up the canal very well. 

I also use mine when traveling through the canals toward the boat ramp at night. Works very well for me. They light up the canal very well. 
Which do you have; stainless or plastic?

I have the plastic, Link. Maybe the cheaper ones, but they do serve me well. Maybe an upgrade in the future.

Back