New boat speed & rpm question

Jim & Mikki

Reaction score
We recently took delivery of our new 2275 GCW. We have twin elliptical pontoons with a Yamaha 115 hp motor. At WOT we only turn 4,800 rpm and make 24.5 miles per hour on relatively smooth water. Does this sound normal to you? Thanks for your response.

No sounds way slow and rpms are to low!!! Sounds like you are over propped!!

Jim & Miki, I don't think it is way slow but definitly off a little. I have a 2012RL but no elepticals, just 25" toons. I also have the Yamaha 115 and my wot is 27mph at 5100rpm and my prop is 13.5x15 aluminum

Jim & Mikki - Agree with others. I have a 2275 GFI with twin ellipiticals and a Yamaha 90 hp with an aluminum prop (13-5/8 x 13). On relatively smooth water and at almost WOT (5900rpm) I can do 25.2 mph (gps). That is with 2 average adults, 20 gallons gas and a 19 pound shih tzu.

Jim & Mikki I have a 22slx with the standard 2 pontoons and a 90 hp Merc. When I'm WOT theTch is reading 7200 and the GPS says 27. I would look into the prop size and get the motor to turn up. Good luck and Congrats

The prop should be sized to give a motor RPM to be a little less or equal to the WOT maximum specified by the manufacturer of the motor that you have. Look at the motor manual to determine the WOT spec then pick a prop to achieve this.

I have a 2013 2550 RSR with a Yamaha F250 four stroke. It was setup by the dealer to max out at 5900 RPM the spec is WOT 6000RPM for my motor.

Jim & Mikki I have a 22slx with the standard 2 pontoons and a 90 hp Merc. When I'm WOT theTch is reading 7200 and the GPS says 27. I would look into the prop size and get the motor to turn up. Good luck and Congrats
At 7200 you are way over reving

Bill N. the motor is not hitting the rev limiter but the tach could be wrong. I will look into it. My dealer said if your not hitting the rev limiter you can't hurt the motor.

Jim & Miki. Sorry, I misspoke-- my WOT is 5800 not 5100 when I reach speeds of 27 verified GPS

Back