New Build 55 gallon Fuel tank question

Nightro

Reaction score
Got a call from the dealer today saying Bennington said they can't install the larger fuel tank I ordered on my 2550 GBR. He is not sure why they told him this any suggestions as to why not?( ESP package with 250 yamaha and infloor storage). Don't want to stop for gas everytime we go out.

I'd make sure your dealer finds out why, or possibly call customer service yourself. Sounds kind of "fishy" to me.

I believe the new fuel tank is 50.1 gallons as opposed to my 2012 which had the 55 gallon. Did he say what size it would be? I can't see it being different than the 50.1, there would be nothing about layout that should change that.

The GBR may not have storage area like rear loungers or changing room type lounge?

Possibly only a transom tank available?

Ok, Good questions. I had no idea there were options possibly. My dealer sold me the pontoon tank. I will ask more questions. I like the call customer service idea also. I will let you all know what happens. Does anyone have a GBR with the larger fuel tank? Dealer said 55 gallon tank btw.

Looks like I found the answer right here in another post!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Currently, the fuel systems on RBR and GBR models are located on the port side inside the bar area. (35 gallon tank) A center-tube fuel tank is not available due to the location of the recliners behind the bar. Their location limits/restricts access to EPA-required fuel fittings in the center tube fuel system. Sorry for any confusion! TB

Like This

MultiQuote

well there ya go! :) I know that all fittings have to be accessible since I have little doors in my center walk through, just thought they would have a tank customized for that layout. Guess that would be pretty pricey. Too bad.

Bulldogs, you have a 250 yamaha. Will I burn thru 35 gallons in a day on the lake playing hard?

Bulldogs, you have a 250 yamaha. Will I burn thru 35 gallons in a day on the lake playing hard?
Um, yes. If you don't you're not having enough fun  :p

Ummm, depends on you I suppose. On a normal day with friends, we'll go tubing, then float, maybe some wakeboarding, then just cruise, after about 7-8 hours its probably right in that 30-35 gallons to fill up. I deal in liters!! Haha but to make it worse, I know it usually costs me around $120 or so to fill. Problem is I can't remember what our price per liter was last summer! It's been anywhere from $1.20-$1.45, so maybe only 25-30 gallons. Maybe for the first time bring an extra 5 gallon jug and leave it in the truck if you have a tonneau cover.

Score one for the 115HP.  Seeing that we never pull tubes or ski and our preferred speed is 10 - 15 mph we use between 2.5 - 3 gallons per hour.  [still wish I had the 150]

Nightro,

I have on order 2550 QBR. I have been going over the large center fuel tank situation with my dealer and Bennington for over 6 months now. When I originally ordered a boat in July of last year I was told by my dealer I could get a large 55 gal tank on a 2550 RBR. The reason the dealer suggested the large fuel tank was I was going with a F 300 Yamaha. After I signed the order they came back a few days later and said I couldn't get the larger center fuel tank on that model but they offered to build me a custom  2850 QBR for only 1500.00 more and that they could do the larger tank. They had never done one but said they wanted to try one out. If you look they don't offer a 2850 QBR. I decided to go ahead with the 2850 and increased the engine to a F 350 cause of the bigger boat. I then went back and forth with them trying to get the boat built until finally in late September decided to delay the build until early this year cause all I would do would be storing it for the winter by the time it got to me. They came back to me in November and said they could do the center fuel tank in either the 2850 or a 2550 so at that point I decided to go with the smaller of the two. One thing I did learn through this is that they are having to do a new design on this fuel system to be able to meet all of the regulations governing fuel systems. But they said they can do it. It's now March and have not been able to get a specific build date. I've been told several times that it will be soon but after your post it might be that they don't have that fuel system approved yet? If I find out any more on this I will send you an update.

Ok, Good questions. I had no idea there were options possibly. My dealer sold me the pontoon tank. I will ask more questions. I like the call customer service idea also. I will let you all know what happens. Does anyone have a GBR with the larger fuel tank? Dealer said 55 gallon tank btw.
Mine has the larger 50+ gallon fuel tank and was FULL at time of delivery.  Tech at the dealer who went over the new boat at delivery said it actually took 60 gallons of gas to fill the tank.

55 for the boat, 5 for his truck!

Rambo, sounds like a hell of a headache. Please keep me posted on what happens.

Mine has the larger 50+ gallon fuel tank and was FULL at time of delivery.  Tech at the dealer who went over the new boat at delivery said it actually took 60 gallons of gas to fill the tank.
Sunny side, They seem to only have the issue with the GBR and RBR models, You have an RL so that makes sense.

We had same issue with our 2013 2550  GBR with a 225 yahama wanted the 55 gal tank found out at the last minute the 35 gal was  all you could get something to do with the bar / seats and access for the tank. Suer wish I knew that before we finalized everything my v hall sportfish had 85 gal tank and we would burn that up with no problem I was concerned about the 55 now I am down to 35 was not to happy about it. Ok we love our toon run her hard out on lake Erie and Maumee Bay have been out  in 3 to 5 waves and haven,t run out of gas yet but I top off daily oh well. Hope Bennington can work it out they do build one heck of a pontoon

This is an update on the 55 gal center fuel tank. I received an email last night from a representative of Bennington. He said that the center fuel tank has been tooled for my QBR. I'm not sure exactly what that means but I take that it's ready to go for my build. Supposedly in the schedule in 2 to 3 weeks. I don't know if this is something they are going to offer system wide yet. I might be a test subject. I hope they don't think I'm a rat. LOL  I'm sure it has to meet the NMMA certification.

Bennington really goes the extra step to service their customers.  Glad to see the rash of Q's that are showing up on the forum.  Hope you Q owners don't mind posting a lot of pictures.

Back