New Delivery issues

T20Lakedude

Reaction score
Need some possible experience opinions to some issues that occurred this weekend's GSR 2250 delivery. I have emailed my dealer who is closed on Monday's for their analysis, while my boat sits in the dock out of town. We got our GSR Friday morning and since the weather was great, we spent most of Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon on the lake in our new toy. I can say its one sweet ride with the Yamaha F200 on SPS toon package. The shark hide on toons looks awesome.

My questions or issues occurred end of day Saturday. Burning almost 8 hours and 1/2 tank of gas, I topped off fuel tank at a nearby marina, but was only able to add 10 1/2 gallons in to peak a full reading and not over flow! I order the SPS with 32 Transom fuel tank. Something doesn't add up, so am I wrong to assume 24 tank is there?

My other question is the difficulty putting on the mooring cover not able to snap some aft snaps on the stern radius. We tried to cover boat up Sat evening do to rain next day. Problems started with the extra wide helm seat on a raised helm. The cover is really tight over the chair head rest even if I recline it back. I'm afraid it will quickly put wear on the top of seat! I know new covers are tight but we almost broke our thumbs snapping or stretching. I even laid it out in the sun before putting on. This isn't my first rodeo, been boating almost 45 years and have owned two tri-toons. What am I not realizing here, fellow owners?

Question for you. Did you put the poles in for the cover as you were putting on the cover or after you snapped the cover on? When I install my cover I snap it all the way around except for a few by the port gate, then crawl in and set the poles. Then snap the remaining snaps. As for the fuel guage, they are notoriously inaccurate. Mine stays on full for quite a while and then drops like a rock, but I've gotten used to it and act accordingly.   

For starters let me say I'm jealous your out enjoying your boat! I am waiting to enjoy ours with sps and f200.

As for the issues, I know some reported issues with the fuel tanks not venting correctly and giving a false full reading. What does the fuel guage show? Were you heavy in the throttle?

As for the cover ours was really tight on our last boat. It loosened up a bit and I reclined the helm seat as well after each use.

So back to the 200 and sps. Any pics? When we saw our boat at the dealer no motor was rigged.

Congrats on the new boat and sorry for the issues.  As suggested above, try snapping the cover and then crawl in to install the poles.  I have found that it helps the cover go over my captains chair if I turn the chair so that the back is toward the midsection of the boat (with the chair facing the starboard rail) and that gives the cover more room to go over the chair since the highest point of the chair is closest to the raised pole on the cover.

Good luck and pics would be nice.

Jack

Ditto to what Carl said. I snap it, crawl in, set poles, finish snapping at port door. There can be a knack for tight snaps. My wife can't snap some but I can pop them right on. She tries to "pull" the cover to the snap, I use my thumb to "roll" the snap on from above. Works every time.

Depending on hose routing there can be a "pee trap" in the vent line that can prevent proper filling, or very slow filling.

Your tank may or may not have this issue, but basically the vent line should not have a "dip" in it.

Also another reason the top can be hard to snap is if you don't have it rolled over the bow or stern seats when snapping. It can keep it from "stretching" across. Open it up and flop it over the 4 corners.

If I don't do this it makes mine very hard to snap at the corners.

Congrats on the new Bennington. 

Fuel Tank/Gauge:   Suspect the tank is larger one but gauge is not all that accurate.  Have heard that previously.  But, you could have dealer take a closer look.

Play Pen Cover:     I opted for the Quick Clips in place of the snaps.  Cover didn't seem all that tight when I put it on for the winter and I didn't bother with the poles since it's stored in my barn.

I have a 24 gallon tank. It hold 25. It reads exactly half full when there is 8 gallons in it. It is due to the tank sitting lengthwise in the motor pod (toon in your case) and the boat riding bow high which sends all the gas to the back of the tank where the fuel sender is. Like Carl, mine sits at full on the guage until I've burned at least 5 gallons. Then it drops fast, with the last 4 gallons dropping SUPER fast. I'm sure the gauges would work much better if the boat sat flatter.

I have to turn my seat so the headrest is in the center of the boat to get my cover on. Sounds like yours may be too tight, but if it was ever on all the way, you know it fits. A little chapstick on the snaps lubricates them and may help.

Don't have anything new to add. I will repeat the same as said before. Fuel gauge is more of a general suggested level, not exactly by any means. Then again, my parents old Jeep Grand Cherokee was no different, I put 400 kms on and it was just under 3/4 of a tank, we'll I was on fumes rolling into the next town on the highway that was 200kms away!! 

I agree don't put poles in till after its all snapped in except a couple around the gate. I also recline and turn my helm chair.

Question for you. Did you put the poles in for the cover as you were putting on the cover or after you snapped the cover on? When I install my cover I snap it all the way around except for a few by the port gate, then crawl in and set the poles. Then snap the remaining snaps. As for the fuel guage, they are notoriously inaccurate. Mine stays on full for quite a while and then drops like a rock, but I've gotten used to it and act accordingly.
Cwag the poles were placed and raised last. A friend just told me he had to move his set up towards wheel, but I don't think it should be required in my mind. Thanks for your response!

For starters let me say I'm jealous your out enjoying your boat! I am waiting to enjoy ours with sps and f200.

As for the issues, I know some reported issues with the fuel tanks not venting correctly and giving a false full reading. What does the fuel guage show? Were you heavy in the throttle?

As for the cover ours was really tight on our last boat. It loosened up a bit and I reclined the helm seat as well after each use.

So back to the 200 and sps. Any pics? When we saw our boat at the dealer no motor was rigged.
Great weekend for a change, lucky it was the weekend for delivery. I don't think it's the fuel gauge, but could be wrong. When ordering the 32 gal set up was requested, not standard 24. I guess I will find out after return call from dealer. Thanks! Hope you get to enjoy soon. My wife hasn't up loaded all the pictures yet, but will post. Love the co-captain chair so let my wife drive while I enjoyed.

Everybody has great tips. I guess more patience is needed! Chapstick!! Now that's something I can get my wife to do since she has about 5 in her pocket all the time! Here are some pics wife and dog included! Again thanks for everyone's suggestions, good forum!

Picture file size to large, little more work to show pics.

The 24 gal fuel tank should be under the port stern lounger, and the 32 in the transom, out of sight.

Pictures in Gallery under LakeDude GSR.

I had the venting challenge, the "flaps" inside the fill tube were installed wrong. Took it too the dealer and they fixed it.

I turn my raised helm towards the center isle and recline all the way back.

I have the 32 gal transom tank, I can only get 27 Gals in it!  I was told by the dealer that it's the emissions design of the tank you can't fill it to capacity! I had them pull the covers to verify that a 32 gal tank was install.

RiverBill

Have you tried spraying water on the cover. That will loosen it up so you can snap the snaps easily.

Lakedude,

Great pictures. Nice looking boat and layout. Will be interested to get your take on the performance of the new Yamaha 200.

One thing you don't want to do is leave the tank full if the boat is going to sit for a few days or a week. The expansion will let the gas seep out through the vent or just cause the tank to stretch. Too much stretch is not good. Leaking gas is not good. Lesson I learned Fill up just prior to enjoying a ride.

Good luck on the new boat. I was hoping to get out this past weekend but the war dept. had other things for me to do.

Lake dude, what prop are you running? Any updates from your dealer?

Back