New guy with a couple questions

elchaseo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my wife and I took delivery of a 2016 ssx with a 115 Yamaha last Friday and still haven't taken it out due to weather. I was looking at it yesterday and noticed the winch looks like it may not be effective because of where it's mounted. I attached a picture, it's not the best but it's all I have right now. It looks like I can move it up but want to check as this is my first pontoon.

With the current setup the crank will want to pull the toon down on the bunks while cranking. With that said that could complicate things when trying to crank the boat up hill and the toons are experiencing more friction. I have my crank higher and use another tie down from the bow to the trailer to keep the bow from bouncing. Nice looking boat by the way!!!

With the current setup the crank will want to pull the toon down on the bunks while cranking. With that said that could complicate things when trying to crank the boat up hill and the toons are experiencing more friction. I have my crank higher and use another tie down from the bow to the trailer to keep the bow from bouncing. Nice looking boat by the way!!!
Thanks! We went with smokey gray as the truck that pulls it is also gray. Pretty excited to take it out (hopefully Thrusday). 

I was thinking it would pull the toons down and make it more difficult to load as well. I have plenty of room to move it up so I will try to play with it tomorrow.  

Nice looking boat. I agree with Lakeliving on the winch.

On a separate note, that is a beast of a trailer. Did you specifically order that one? Was it what the dealer had? To my eyes it is 3 or 4 feet longer than it needs to be. Will certainly take up more room in storage.

Brian

The winch should be above the bump stop supports.  Is there anything supporting the vertical tube that the winch is mounted on.  Why don't you have stairs on the bump stop.  That is the way most people access the boat when on the trailer. 

Nice looking boat. I agree with Lakeliving on the winch.

On a separate note, that is a beast of a trailer. Did you specifically order that one? Was it what the dealer had? To my eyes it is 3 or 4 feet longer than it needs to be. Will certainly take up more room in storage.

Brian
I did order it. My last trailer was galvanized one and it was always something with it. I went with aluminum and torsion axles along with better lighting and hardware. The trailer is made for 22-24' toons.

The winch should be above the bump stop supports.  Is there anything supporting the vertical tube that the winch is mounted on.  Why don't you have stairs on the bump stop.  That is the way most people access the boat when on the trailer. 
Pretty much what I thought, that is where I will move it tomorrow. The vertical tube is bolted to the main part of the trailer. There are 2 steps on the same section where the winch is, I don't think they are really visible from the pic I posted.

Good looking boat ,welcome 

Welcome to the family. Great looking boat! Looks like you might be somewhere in FL by the looks of the vegetation. We are in DeLand with the Benny on the St. John river.

Enjoy your maiden voyage!

After you get your engine broken in well, we'd be interested on your performance figures.  We seldom see ellipticals with F115's.  Your boat should be pretty fast in a straight line.

I'll be curious to see as well. My 22sslx with twin 25" tubes and strakes would run 35 with a light load and a 115. Curious to see how elipticals run.

I am in Port Charlotte, Florida. Purchased the boat from Ingman marine, extremely professional and listened to everything I had wanted or needed. It was priced with a 90 on it, but I decided to up it to 115 as it was only like $800 difference. I figured if I had it loaded down I'd appreciate the extra power when I needed it. I believe they told me it would run about 35mph

Looks good and welcome to the mayhem! I mean club..

Just moved the winch up. I think that will work much better. Hopefully tomorrow I will take it out and get her broken in.

Great looking boat. You'll love it.

I am in Port Charlotte, Florida. Purchased the boat from Ingman marine, extremely professional and listened to everything I had wanted or needed. It was priced with a 90 on it, but I decided to up it to 115 as it was only like $800 difference. I figured if I had it loaded down I'd appreciate the extra power when I needed it. I believe they told me it would run about 35mph
If we ever had contests where you guess stuff, I'd say you'd see 36 mph.

36.1 MPH is my guess my daughter guesses 35.9 MPH

Port Charlotte is a nice area. Lots of water on which to enjoy your Benny. This we are making your top mph a contest, I'm in for 37.1 once broken in, and before your pontoons coat with icky stuff.

Looks like I have 36.0.  Take a picture of your GPS.

Back