New member, Bennington on order!!!!

I have always heard "welcome home, and thank you for your service" ever since I retired USAF in 1988. that seems perfectly acceptable to me, and I haven't heard a better phrase to describe what our service members have accomplished. to me, it is adequate and to the point ! 

I do not take offense to what Dan is saying. I learned it from being with my Grandfather who was in the Navy, my Father who was in the Marines, my best friend who was in the Army, and my brother who was in the Air Force. And countless other friends and family that were in the military or are still in the military of this great country.They all seemed to take great pride in receiving the accolades from others, when people would tell them "Thank you for your service." 

I cannot imagine what families go through when a loved one is at war. My closest experience was 9/11, my brother was stationed in D.C. I remember sitting at my desk at work sobbing wondering if he was still alive. Later I learned he was driving the bus that picked people up from the Pentagon after the plane hit. I cannot imagine living that day in and day out for days, months, or years at a time... gut wrenching.

So my Thank you, to some may seem like a flippant response, I can honestly tell you it is not. If I offended anyone or if there is something else that I should be saying to offer my deepest appreciation for them risking their lives to protect this great nation. I'm all for it. 

Again, I do not take offense to what Dan is saying, I understand where he is coming from, if there is a better way of offering appreciation, I'm all for it.

As for those of you that have been in the military. THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart!

Sorry for hijacking your thread Marc.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Marc.

Carl, gotta break em in early ....... we know how our threads always go cattywompus ..... and Derrick hasn't even chimed in lately ... hmmmm .... where is that Canuck ???

Marc-

Congratulations on your new boat. If you're like me, you can hardy wait until you can put the boat in the water. I too, appreciate your commitment to serve in the US military. I served from 1969 until 1996, and like Carl and Tom said, there was a big difference in public attitude during the Vietnam era compared to today. I guess anyone serving then appreciated any recognition they got, regardless of the wording. For now though, just sit back and think of all the fun times ahead!

Carl, gotta break em in early ....... we know how our threads always go cattywompus ..... and Derrick hasn't even chimed in lately ... hmmmm .... where is that Canuck ???
Cattywompus... Haven't heard that one in a while! We do get a little off track once in awhile.

Hey All,

I appreciate all the kind words, and that is what they are, kind words from the heart. I also tell people "Thank you  for your service and sacrifice", and I can speak for all I know that it is always appreciated. Military service to our great country is a privilege and I cherish all the good times and bad.

A request from me is to remember the POW/MIA's. SSGT Bowe Bergdahl is the only POW from the current wars. He has been a POW since June of 09.

Semper,

I agree with the reply from those who have not had the privilege to serve in the military, all they have to say is thanks and nothing else.

Jack,

We live down near the Baxter campground off H highway. Maybe we could get together for a tasty beverage!!

Thanks again to all of you and you are welcome,

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc,

A tasty beverage sounds great!  I know where Baxter is and often go and anchor or tie up on a small island just a little northeast of the Baxter Marina.  We could meet on the lake or in Fish Tales Tavern in Kimberling City (good beverages and food).  Will keep SSGT Bergdahl in our thoughts and prayers.

Jack

Hey Jack,

I think I know where that island is but not sure. We rode our jet ski's all over the area around here. Rhonda and I would like to meet you and we are always looking for a good place to eat. Where is the tavern at? I am sure you can help us with what we need to know being new pontoon owners.

Marc

The address for Fish Tales Tavern is 11863 State Highway 13.  It is in the small strip of stores (including the bowling alley) that is connected to what remains on the Kimberling Inn (never rebuilt after the tronado a couple of years ago) - it is the strip of stores on the west side of 13 highway just before you cross the KC bridge and is across from the Harter House grocery store.  It is a small local bar and does have good food and drink.  We will have to try to set up a time to meet and I will send you a PM message.

Jack

Iraq 69 be sure to hop on the Southwest-Tablerock forum.

Congrats on making another good decision.

It's OK Jack, you don't have to invite me, I'll just show up if I wanna come. :)

Marc, we stay at Big Creek. Baxter is out normal fuel station. Will be there first week of July. My son will have just graduated West Point and first time back to Tablerock in 4 years. I'm sure you could give him some good advise.

New friends, new boats and cold beer on a great lake. Life is good !!!!

Hey Toon'r,

We have been boating on Table Rock for about 20 years on bow riders and jet skis. Now we'll do it on a great Bennington!! We'll hook your hook you guys up and even provide a cold tasty beverage!! We live just a mile from Baxter and launch there most of the time. Looking forward to a visit.

Marc

Maybe a small Bennington reunion in the making!!!

Jack

Back