New order build questions

Eight Waters

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the great guidance and information in the Users Forum.

I am speccing out a new 2350 RSR (or maybe 2250 GSR)

Primary (probably only use) will be cruising on a chain of 10 lakes/4000 total acres.

Biggest lake 1000 acres so not a lot of need for great speed.

Also lake sizes means typically not too rough.

Would like to have ability to take 10 adults but more typically would be 6-8 adults.

Would like to achieve 20-22 MPH fully loaded 10 adults at 80% throttle.

I have a MasterCraft for the water sports so we would not use the Benny for tubing/skiing.

Trying to decide on a build without benefit of test drives:

One build :  115 Yamaha with 32" ellipticals and strakes and wave shield.  

I like the 32" for the added buoyancy but didn't want to have to get a bunk trailer to accommodate.

Optional build:  150 Mercury with 25" twin tubes and wave shield (thinking Strakes maybe not needed with 150 Merc -- although Bennington build recommends strakes at 150HP -- I don't understand why.)  

Any guidance/thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

My opinion. Trade the mastercraft and buy one boat to fill all your needs.

Strakes get the tubes above the water like getting the Mastercraft up on plane, and I agree with Rockie.

Our neighbors have a master craft and also bought a 2250 gbr last fall. I'm curious to see what they'll think of the performance of our new one.

I went with my boat because of a few factors.

I could do the same things with it that I could a Yamaha 242 limited S I could carry more people, more gear, and the resale is a lot better. And the price was comparable. Plus maintaining the limited was not too convenient.

With the limited S it is a "cookie cutter" boat. With the Bennington you can modify it to your liking. AND the message board it freaking awesome!

Hey Eight Waters, at least with the SPS/150 you would have the option if you ever wanted to ski/tube.

When ordering mine, I wanted to at least keep my options open. Also, those two upgrades feel like something that will help hold the resale as three toons with a bigger motor seems to be a trend of where pontoons are headed.

Best of luck in your purchase!

Eightwaters, I have an RL and I am telling you that the 115 will not reach 20-22 at FULL throttle.  Don't make the same mistake I did, get the 150

We spec'd out and ordered a boat very similar but can't tell you about the performance as the ice isn't out of the lake yet. Getting it next Friday from the dealer. We weren't so concerned about the speed but looked at the economy of operation and have a lot of time with just 2 or 4 people on the boat on a 14,000 acre lake basically potato shaped. As a result we can get choppy to large waves in a hurry. So after hearing, not so good reports of the 32" elliptical, here's what we did. I know the HP may be lacking but the looks and layout is great for us and our family, We have seen a boat just like it and the speed will be OK for us.

2014 2350RSR, 115HP Yamaha, Lifting Strakes, Sea Star Hydraulic steering, Smoky Granite panels, Midnight black accent panel, Sandstone Soft touch vinyl, Basic dimensional graphics, Pillow Top Upholstery(Sandstone), Bow Gate seat (which on the RSR can be used on stern also), Ottoman with cooler, Trim accent teak, Platinum Matrix carpet, Sea Grass Aft Flooring, Blue Tooth Stereo, Lighted Standard Bimini Top, 46" removable ski pylon (for an occasional young grandkid on a tube), Stainless steel rub rail and a washdown station, and SeaLegs (which are great for our lake, not everybody's). I'm not expecting great speed but hours of relaxation on what we refer to as our lake patio.

Have fun looking and thinking about the many choices.

One thing I forgot on my post was I highly recommend the domednumbers.com puffy chrome registration numbers that look awesome with our boat and that was a recommendation from this forum. Thanks guys! (or gals) 

H & S Wheeler,

What did you hear about the 32s? Did you go with twin 25s & strakes?

Thanks for the domed link! I will definitely place an order with them.

8 wtrs

I only have the regular two 25" toons with no strakes but I still don't think with any of the performance setups you will cruise at 20 - 22 mph with the 115.  My 115 did 27mph when brand new, after being in the water all summer I typically can only get to 23 mph with just me and Kathy on board

We don't tow kids or ski, we are slow cruisers and typically go 10 - 15 mph which is why we chose the 115 over the 150 in order to save a little money.  But we will day cruise [and especially sunset cruise] quite often with 10 or 12 of our lake neighbors and that is when I wish I had the 150.  I am deciding between spending the money and upgrading to a 150 [about $5000] or just wait a few years and trade in via PADS. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just heard the 32's were unstable in turns and in rough water. I would have to go back in the forum and in some reviews I read to get more detail, and maybe someone who has them can correct us. But I went with the 25" with strakes. Hope they work for us. Good luck on your choices, its the fun part. We had seen a slightly used 2013 dealer model like this but we could get a new one so close in price that we went that route. I also really liked the extra room they gave us on the 2014 model in the front which is where we get on and off often. Have fun!

WOW That is absolutely incorrect. The 32s have excellent ride and stability in all conditions. It rides high in the water gets on plane quickly and turns as well as any two tooned boat. It also has excellent top speed.

WOW That is absolutely incorrect. The 32s have excellent ride and stability in all conditions. It rides high in the water gets on plane quickly and turns as well as any two tooned boat. It also has excellent top speed.
I'll support this as well based on the results of my check ride last week. The lake was running 1 to 2 feet with a stiff southerly breeze. The boat road really well, very stable and dry at all points and speeds through the slop.

Frankly, if you don't need the extra turning ability allowed by a third log, why pay the drag penalty associated with it?

Thanks Dasalmon & Chris for the input.  So if I understand correctly the tri toon will turn a bit betterbut be a bit slower at any RPM due to the extra tube drag.

Dasalmon -- what kind of WOT are you seeing with the 150 Yamaha on the Twin 32s?

Thanks Dasalmon & Chris for the input.  So if I understand correctly the tri toon will turn a bit betterbut be a bit slower at any RPM due to the extra tube drag.

Dasalmon -- what kind of WOT are you seeing with the 150 Yamaha on the Twin 32s?
I'm going to rephrase this for you just a bit. The tritoon will turn much sharper and with v-hull type control and bank but will be slower at any RPM with the same horsepower. How's that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Last season was our first season with the new boat and after break-in we achieved 41 WOT by GPS

Back