New Purchase First time Bennington/Pontoon Owner

Luke1971

Reaction score
Just ordered a new 2018 23ssbxp swingback. Smokey Gray with black accent, 150 Evinrude etec g2 H.O. with electric shift, Express performance package, kmc10 Stereo, swingback stern lighted speakers, electric bimini, seagrass flooring, heavy duty rub rail, rough water package, toe kick lighting, lighted speakers, docking lights, adjustable height pedestal seat, lifting strakes, battery- single switch, ski tow bar, pop up cleats, striker 4 fish graph,

This is my first pontoon owned a bowrider before this. I am thinking of adding the sub and amp package and also dual battery option to this pontoon yet.

Welcome Luke! Looks like a great build you have going. I also came from a bowrider and I know you're going to love your new Bennington! While I have the stock radio which is fine, there are many on this site that enjoy the upgrade stereo and it will never be easier to install it then now. We do have dual batteries but never had a problem with a single on our old boat.

I would get the dual batteries with the switch . If you are out all day and happen to run your battery down listening to your radio ,you will have the other to get back .
I would also upgrade your stereo now ,it would be covered under the Bennington warranty .

Congrats!

We bought our first pontoon in August after 20 years with our deck boat with a horrible 2 speaker stereo. We have the 8 speaker KMC10 stereo with Sub/Amp and it rocks. Nothing like cruising or coving out, having a cold one with all our friends and/or family and blasting out our favorite playlists with no worries of a dead battery with the dual battery in place. Would not want to do without either. You may regret not adding it. Congrats. It looks like you are getting a beauty!!

Sounds like a sweet ride! Remember, PICS are mandatory when it gets here!! ;)

Get rid of the Express and get the SPS.

That is the same tube configuration I had ordered ,I got home changed my mind ,and went with the SPS .
Problem is ,I forgot to Upgrade the motor to a 200 .( max capacity ) .I have been trying to upgrade ,to a 200 ever since ,problem was mechanical vs digital controls ,made it cost prohibitive . Hopefully until now. Mercury has just released the new V6 ,which can be ordered with mechanical or digital controls .( I called Mercury yesterday to verfy ) .I dont have a price yet on the upgrade ,waiting for my dealer to get back from a trade show in New Orleans
Orders are being taken now ,they will ship 1st week of May

Last edited:
Congrats!

Price difference between the Express and SPS package???

Totally agree with CWag. Forget the Express and go with SPS. I have the Express and did so to add a third toon to the original 2-toon setup, also did the underskirting. Glad I did it as much smoother ride and added about 5mph when new. However if I was buying new I would not have considered the Express and only would have went with SPS.

This goes to show the value of this forum, wish I knew about it prior to buying

Sometimes there is just so much money to go around. My Express tube equipped boat runs exactly the same speed as the SPS hull. I grant you the SPS may handle slightly next better, however we don't push our boat hard in turns. I do give up some fuel capacity, however we never use 23 gallons in a day. And I would never want to pay so much for in floor storage as we don't carry much with us (living on the water.)

Back