New to Boating...2023 24LXSB

wmrice7

Reaction score
Just purchased our first boat and super stoked about it. We are a family of 4 with a 7 and 5 yr old. We will typically have at least another family on the boat with us at all times. We will use it to cruise, maybe fish, and tube with the kids. We have a place at the lake where we will be using it so it will stay on a lift. Knowing all that, what is there that I likely don't know that I need to know about owning this boat?

Do's and don'ts on the boat? What sunscreen is allowed vs not allowed?
Best methods for cleaning the Simtex?
Anything I need for the boat that I may not be thinking about (I know I need life jackets for everyone)?
An anchor that you recommend?

Grateful to have this group! Look forward to learning more and more!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 10.14.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-19 at 10.14.27 PM.png
    634.9 KB · Views: 47
Just purchased our first boat and super stoked about it. We are a family of 4 with a 7 and 5 yr old. We will typically have at least another family on the boat with us at all times. We will use it to cruise, maybe fish, and tube with the kids. We have a place at the lake where we will be using it so it will stay on a lift. Knowing all that, what is there that I likely don't know that I need to know about owning this boat?

Anything I need for the boat that I may not be thinking about (I know I need life jackets for everyone)?

Welcome to the forum wmrice7! Congrats on your beautiful boat! Couple questions.....Where do you boat? What seating configuration do you have and what motor?!? You asked about an anchor..... The box anchor is very popular with the guys on this forum. But I've had the "Digger" anchor going on 16 seasons now and it has been very reliable for us no matter where we are. https://www.diggeranchor.com/. Another suggestion would be to look into a good mirror to check out your surroundings especially if you will be tubing with the kids, friends and family. https://ptmwatersports.com/collections/pontoon. I'm sure the rest of the guys/girls on this forum will be coming up with good suggestions to help you spend your money! Have a great boating season!

If you are new to boating , take a Boating Safety Class . If none are available in your area they are available on line
Below is a link for the Simtex cleaning instructions .
No Sunscreen Spray is allowed on ours . No Glass ,No smoking ,No Red Wine and NO Cheetos .
You are the Captain you make the rules while on board .
Anchors ,I use a Box anchor .You will also need bumpers and line , ( if you are going to dock or raft up with someone ) Safety Flares, First Aid Kit.
.If I forgot anything ,some one else will bring it up .
1708423406333.png

+1 - take a boating class. on water if possible. either way, get out as much as you can and practice maneuvering/docking. this is useful for your "first-mate" as well to help learn together how you approach docking, tying up, etc. trying to dock with stress is bad and leads to mistakes. Once you get the hang of it, get out and do it again when windy (or changing tides if that applies)

+1 on the anchors... but it depends on where you boat, the depth you anchor, and the bottom... I just got a box anchor, but previously used a mushroom anchor to hold in 10-15 ft depth swim coves. i'm in a 24' Tritoon, and when it was above about 8 mph winds, I'd drift sometimes. The box anchor will solve that, and I now have a second anchor to hold the back if I want. special note: the box anchor is heavy...

+1 on the mirror, best investment ever... word of advice. mine broke because i would just lower it and put the cover on. one time the glass was against the top rail and the glass broke. either be more careful than me, or remove the glass when storing, lol.

Get a second battery. Boats love redundancy. If you don't already know how to hook it up and work it, ask the dealer to install and explain how to use it properly (you can burn up the alternator in the motor if you don't watch what you are doing). being able to get started up after anchoring and playing tunes for a while, is great peace of mind.

I recommend inflatable floats for swimming when anchored rather than foam stuff like the lili pad... it takes time, but space on a boat is hard to come by, and rolling up and travelling with a lili pad is a PITA.

Consider a combo blower/inflator for those inflatables rather than a dedicated inflator. I got this since I'm all DeWalt at home: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dce100m1/20v-max-compact-jobsite-blower-kit?tid=579381

It's a nice combo that is very helpful to clean the boat and inflate toys.

Get a dry box. Yes there are compartments that are supposed to be watertight... until someone soaking wet sits or leans in the wrong place. assume any storage can get wet, and will... in fact, check regularly to open things up and make sure they dry out or you'll end up with mold. Not a huge problem, but something to check occasionally.

+1 - take a boating class. on water if possible. either way, get out as much as you can and practice maneuvering/docking. this is useful for your "first-mate" as well to help learn together how you approach docking, tying up, etc. trying to dock with stress is bad and leads to mistakes. Once you get the hang of it, get out and do it again when windy (or changing tides if that applies)

I said take a class twice... it's that important... and operate defensively. always. 90% of boaters on the water are idiots and will not be doing the same.

and not to pick nits...

but your anchor light (on the rod on top of the bimini) needs adjusted. it's directional, and the lens ring around the middle should be parallel to the water...

two more tips...

Run something like Yamaha's Ring Free to help keep things clean...

Avoid ethanol fuel if you can. if you can't, even more reason to run ring free.

If fueling from the dock instead of at a pump at the marina or gas station, I like these cans a lot better than any of the "regular" cans....

We never boat at night, so I don’t use the lights. However, jcr159, I just learned something. I didn’t realize the anchor lights were directional.

I always learn new little tidbits on this forum.

Thanks.

We never boat at night, so I don’t use the lights. However, jcr159, I just learned something. I didn’t realize the anchor lights were directional.

I always learn new little tidbits on this forum.

Thanks.
not all of them are, but the ones on the benny pictured (and mine), are... ask me how i learned that, lol... If i could only learn my lessons the easy way!

Congratulations on the boat! My advice: enjoy your boat. Things will spill with adults and kids. simtex is great, chocolate, wine, all comes off(personal experience).

If it doesn't? well then you have a memento of a fun day on the water. Put a dent in the rail trying to dock? Not funny in the moment, very embarrassing actually. But why get upset every time you look at it? There aren't many pontoons without dings and scratches, at least not those that are actually enjoyed.

All that is easier said then done, I know. But the sooner you get over the new boat the happier you and your passengers will be. Took me a while.

Now I still spend a ton of time cleaning it, first off I enjoy doing that, second I want to be proud of the boat when friends come on. You will also learn that most things that spill don't leave any mark. I can't speak to sunscreen because we really don't seem to have much of that, being in Maine.

As for things needed, hard to say without knowing how you are using it. I have a plastic ammo box (harbor freight) I filled with flares, zip ties, elec tape, screwdriver, pliers, air horn, knife. I also have a dry bag with extra set of clothes and towels.

The stainless pole holders make excellent flag holders on the ski rail. The yeti sidekick bag makes a great waterproof place to store binoculars, sunglasses, bottle openers, etc by the captains chair, just use some taylor fender clips to attach.

As said before seat compartments are not waterproof.
Also don't leave anything on the seats overnight. The water stain that will be left will eventually go away but I have had it take weeks depending on the weather. In the meantime your seat looks stained without even a good story to tell. Save the stains for the time you knocked over the wine glass while telling a story and blamed your wife even though she wasn't on the boat at the time (true story and it all cleaned up perfectly with no residual stain)

1708457502648.png

Congratulations on the boat! My advice: enjoy your boat. Things will spill with adults and kids. simtex is great, chocolate, wine, all comes off(personal experience).

If it doesn't? well then you have a memento of a fun day on the water. Put a dent in the rail trying to dock? Not funny in the moment, very embarrassing actually. But why get upset every time you look at it? There aren't many pontoons without dings and scratches, at least not those that are actually enjoyed.

All that is easier said then done, I know. But the sooner you get over the new boat the happier you and your passengers will be. Took me a while.

Now I still spend a ton of time cleaning it, first off I enjoy doing that, second I want to be proud of the boat when friends come on. You will also learn that most things that spill don't leave any mark. I can't speak to sunscreen because we really don't seem to have much of that, being in Maine.

As for things needed, hard to say without knowing how you are using it. I have a plastic ammo box (harbor freight) I filled with flares, zip ties, elec tape, screwdriver, pliers, air horn, knife. I also have a dry bag with extra set of clothes and towels.

The stainless pole holders make excellent flag holders on the ski rail. The yeti sidekick bag makes a great waterproof place to store binoculars, sunglasses, bottle openers, etc by the captains chair, just use some taylor fender clips to attach.

As said before seat compartments are not waterproof.
Also don't leave anything on the seats overnight. The water stain that will be left will eventually go away but I have had it take weeks depending on the weather. In the meantime your seat looks stained without even a good story to tell. Save the stains for the time you knocked over the wine glass while telling a story and blamed your wife even though she wasn't on the boat at the time (true story and it all cleaned up perfectly with no residual stain)

View attachment 35329
#wisdom

and i love the drinking fish. need to find one of those...

I am starting my 3rd year so I too am still new. What I have learned is the spray sunscreen WILL stain your boat. I had to scrub for hours to get that stuff off my interior. Also. Like the simple sand anchor. I use 2 of them keeps my 22 ft boat nice and still in the river!

Welcome to the forum wmrice7! Congrats on your beautiful boat! Couple questions.....Where do you boat? What seating configuration do you have and what motor?!? You asked about an anchor..... The box anchor is very popular with the guys on this forum. But I've had the "Digger" anchor going on 16 seasons now and it has been very reliable for us no matter where we are. https://www.diggeranchor.com/. Another suggestion would be to look into a good mirror to check out your surroundings especially if you will be tubing with the kids, friends and family. https://ptmwatersports.com/collections/pontoon. I'm sure the rest of the guys/girls on this forum will be coming up with good suggestions to help you spend your money! Have a great boating season!
Thank you! Boating out at Badin Lake in between Asheboro and Charlotte area. Country folks lake!

+1 on the anchors... but it depends on where you boat, the depth you anchor, and the bottom... I just got a box anchor, but previously used a mushroom anchor to hold in 10-15 ft depth swim coves. i'm in a 24' Tritoon, and when it was above about 8 mph winds, I'd drift sometimes. The box anchor will solve that, and I now have a second anchor to hold the back if I want. special note: the box anchor is heavy...

+1 on the mirror, best investment ever... word of advice. mine broke because i would just lower it and put the cover on. one time the glass was against the top rail and the glass broke. either be more careful than me, or remove the glass when storing, lol.

Get a second battery. Boats love redundancy. If you don't already know how to hook it up and work it, ask the dealer to install and explain how to use it properly (you can burn up the alternator in the motor if you don't watch what you are doing). being able to get started up after anchoring and playing tunes for a while, is great peace of mind.

I recommend inflatable floats for swimming when anchored rather than foam stuff like the lili pad... it takes time, but space on a boat is hard to come by, and rolling up and travelling with a lili pad is a PITA.

Consider a combo blower/inflator for those inflatables rather than a dedicated inflator. I got this since I'm all DeWalt at home: https://www.dewalt.com/product/dce100m1/20v-max-compact-jobsite-blower-kit?tid=579381

It's a nice combo that is very helpful to clean the boat and inflate toys.

Get a dry box. Yes there are compartments that are supposed to be watertight... until someone soaking wet sits or leans in the wrong place. assume any storage can get wet, and will... in fact, check regularly to open things up and make sure they dry out or you'll end up with mold. Not a huge problem, but something to check occasionally.

I said take a class twice... it's that important... and operate defensively. always. 90% of boaters on the water are idiots and will not be doing the same.
This is great! Thank you. Don’t know there were classes we could do on the water! So helpful!

two more tips...

Run something like Yamaha's Ring Free to help keep things clean...

Avoid ethanol fuel if you can. if you can't, even more reason to run ring free.

If fueling from the dock instead of at a pump at the marina or gas station, I like these cans a lot better than any of the "regular" cans....
Thank you. Yeah, need to buy some of those. Still take forever to fuel. Have any secrets there? You just fill the VIP jugs up regularly and Keep boat full?

Thank you! Boating out at Badin Lake in between Asheboro and Charlotte area. Country folks lake!
I believe a forum member, BigD, doesn't live too far from you/Badin lake. It's below High Rock lake right?!?

I believe a forum member, BigD, doesn't live too far from you/Badin lake. It's below High Rock lake right?!?
It's between High Rock to the north and Tillery to the south. Beautiful lake. 190' deep. Home of one of the best golf courses you will find. Old North State CC.

Back