New to Boating...2023 24LXSB

Thank you. Yeah, need to buy some of those. Still take forever to fuel. Have any secrets there? You just fill the VIP jugs up regularly and Keep boat full?
I used to use regular gas cans with a rattle siphon. it worked well, but the VP jugs with the fill tube works a lot better. I usually use 10-15 gallons each outing, so try to take a couple cans each time we go. I'm never full, never empty, and can fuel up on the lake with the expensive stuff if i'm in a pinch. though holiday weekends around me, they run out of fuel by monday on memorial day and labor day...

There are some powered options that are good, but heavier to manage. I can still manage the cans on my own, and you can get around 6 gallons in each

Congratulations on the boat! My advice: enjoy your boat. Things will spill with adults and kids. simtex is great, chocolate, wine, all comes off(personal experience).

If it doesn't? well then you have a memento of a fun day on the water. Put a dent in the rail trying to dock? Not funny in the moment, very embarrassing actually. But why get upset every time you look at it? There aren't many pontoons without dings and scratches, at least not those that are actually enjoyed.

All that is easier said then done, I know. But the sooner you get over the new boat the happier you and your passengers will be. Took me a while.

Now I still spend a ton of time cleaning it, first off I enjoy doing that, second I want to be proud of the boat when friends come on. You will also learn that most things that spill don't leave any mark. I can't speak to sunscreen because we really don't seem to have much of that, being in Maine.

As for things needed, hard to say without knowing how you are using it. I have a plastic ammo box (harbor freight) I filled with flares, zip ties, elec tape, screwdriver, pliers, air horn, knife. I also have a dry bag with extra set of clothes and towels.

The stainless pole holders make excellent flag holders on the ski rail. The yeti sidekick bag makes a great waterproof place to store binoculars, sunglasses, bottle openers, etc by the captains chair, just use some taylor fender clips to attach.

As said before seat compartments are not waterproof.
Also don't leave anything on the seats overnight. The water stain that will be left will eventually go away but I have had it take weeks depending on the weather. In the meantime your seat looks stained without even a good story to tell. Save the stains for the time you knocked over the wine glass while telling a story and blamed your wife even though she wasn't on the boat at the time (true story and it all cleaned up perfectly with no residual stain)

View attachment 35329
Where can I get the Happy Hour flag?

Regarding anchors, I think the most important thing is to match the anchor to the bottom conditions you’ll encounter on your lake. What works for some folks may not work for you. My lake bottom ranges from sand to marl to weeds and I’ve had good luck with a Fortress danforth type anchor.

and not to pick nits...

but your anchor light (on the rod on top of the bimini) needs adjusted. it's directional, and the lens ring around the middle should be parallel to the water...
Hey! This is a dealer picture so I need to see it in person. Not sure I am following what that means. Thank you for seeing though!

It's between High Rock to the north and Tillery to the south. Beautiful lake. 190' deep. Home of one of the best golf courses you will find. Old North State CC.
You're right BigD . Hope to play that course one day. If you have been on Badin, you have any anchor suggestions considering how deep it can be?

Congratulations on your new boat, it looks great!
Lots of great advice, thanks to all, I picked up a few great tidbits just reading thru.
One bit of advice I was given many years ago when I began boating was not to approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it.

Hey! This is a dealer picture so I need to see it in person. Not sure I am following what that means. Thank you for seeing though!
This isn’t the exact light, but close enough….

Notice how the lens is through the side so to speak? And no light escapes the top? When operating, you need to make sure that clear part of the lens can be seen by other boaters…. This light is white and called the anchor light but used all the time operating at night, not just at anchor…. It’s the single most important light you have to let other boats k ow you are out there in the dark, and combined with your red/green lights indicates your heading relative to the other boats. Even though you don’t operate at night generally, it’s required and something to make sure is working…

That reminds me…. Another really good thing to have as a new boater is a physical checklist. Two actually. On for preparing to shove off, and another for mooring/trailering at the end of the day. It’s easy to be distracted by friends, or anything and forget important things like turning off your master battery switch, or forgetting to tilt the trim when covering because the cover is easier to snap when the lower unit is still in the water a bit, etc. checklists and boats go together like peas and carrots Jenny….

1708577934086.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Beautiful boat. Great recommendations from everyone. A boating class is a must. I do more defensive piloting with the boat on the weekends than driving during Rush hour. One big thing for me is how long I take the boat out for. The longer the trip the greater the gear. If I’m taking multiple trips in and out of the dock having every possible thing on board is less important. Suggest starting with the basics listed and you’ll find what your family uses and needs over time. Enjoy!

You're right BigD . Hope to play that course one day. If you have been on Badin, you have any anchor suggestions considering how deep it can be?
Haven't had the boat on Badin. Played Old North State many times, though, back in the 90's. Have seen enough of Badin over the years to know it's really pretty. Maybe someday. We tend to frequent the bigger lakes like Norman, Gaston, Kerr, and Smith Mountain, but we have been on Hyco several times, and it's not as big as Badin. Bought our boat at High Rock.

Just purchased our first boat and super stoked about it. We are a family of 4 with a 7 and 5 yr old. We will typically have at least another family on the boat with us at all times. We will use it to cruise, maybe fish, and tube with the kids. We have a place at the lake where we will be using it so it will stay on a lift. Knowing all that, what is there that I likely don't know that I need to know about owning this boat?

Do's and don'ts on the boat? What sunscreen is allowed vs not allowed?
Best methods for cleaning the Simtex?
Anything I need for the boat that I may not be thinking about (I know I need life jackets for everyone)?
An anchor that you recommend?

Grateful to have this group! Look forward to learning more and more!
Congratulations. Make it your mission to keep it clean. Amazing what dust (the lake is wide open for dust) and birds will do to a boat

Congratulations. Make it your mission to keep it clean. Amazing what dust (the lake is wide open for dust) and birds will do to a boat

yeah... birds...

you may want to look into something like this

no experience, but recommended around here a few times

This isn’t the exact light, but close enough….

Notice how the lens is through the side so to speak? And no light escapes the top? When operating, you need to make sure that clear part of the lens can be seen by other boaters…. This light is white and called the anchor light but used all the time operating at night, not just at anchor…. It’s the single most important light you have to let other boats k ow you are out there in the dark, and combined with your red/green lights indicates your heading relative to the other boats. Even though you don’t operate at night generally, it’s required and something to make sure is working…

That reminds me…. Another really good thing to have as a new boater is a physical checklist. Two actually. On for preparing to shove off, and another for mooring/trailering at the end of the day. It’s easy to be distracted by friends, or anything and forget important things like turning off your master battery switch, or forgetting to tilt the trim when covering because the cover is easier to snap when the lower unit is still in the water a bit, etc. checklists and boats go together like peas and carrots Jenny….

View attachment 35334
Great. Thank you so much! A checklist would be a good addition!

My quick list..... (and I do have a 26 SB, so a bit more storage)
  • Require everyone to bring smiles.
  • Cleaning - Fantastic 409 has worked best for us, and recommended by Simtex. Bunch of White towels. Plus a spray cleaner/wax/ceramic to wipe down boat - love Hot Sauce, does great on water spots.
  • Anchor - Box Anchor holds my 26' on our windy lake. Also get a canvas wood tote to store it in, much easier to handle.
  • Tube for kids - Big Mable 3 seater (sit or charriot in one)
  • Air Filler - Outdoormastershap Shark - has a PSI stop point - slight overkill for just a tube, but also works for blow up SUP.
  • Bouy Ball, 30' nylon rope & Stainless Clip - toss of the back for kids/adjults to grab when needed, really helps with current.
  • Plastic Box with top that lactches - we use to hold towels and Suncreen and toss in shoes, easy to carry back and forth.
  • Neoprene Life Vests - use them as floats (step in like a diaper) - now you need no/less tubes or floats
  • Bunch of cheap poloarized sunglasses with float holders
  • Large Brim Hats with chin strap
  • Contigo 20oz Autoseal cups - different colors on sale at different times - but just buy on sale and use colored electrical tape to make each unique. Saves on spills, keeps your drinks cold, and let go in water and not worry about.
  • Towels - get the large cotton turkish towels - 1/3 of the space vs a normal towel and can bring a bunch, they dry fast, use all over the boat. I hate the fringe strings, but otherwise are amazing - so much better / easier to deal with than the huge / thick towels. I then also got a large microfiber towel fo the SwingBack Lounger.
  • PTM Mirror - love - I got the helm mount and don't have to worry about the cover.
  • Extra Extra Large non-scratch pads to wipe bottom algea growth off tunes while in water (2 to 4x per month - takes 15 minutes with family helping).
  • Small broom - helps when on/off shore a lot.
  • Extra long USB charge cables - often have to put phone into cooler due to sun.
  • Prop: I carry an extra, plus an extra hub, and knife to cut off fishing line - and tools to change.
  • Fuel Treatment - I put in when the benny is not being used that month or winter storage.
  • Small tool box - basics, zip ties, ducktape, rubber mallot (helps with bimini), bar of soap for zippers
  • First Aid - basic stuff plus I keep two Quitclot kits (major cut), Tourniquet, and neck brace (we are bit crazy).
  • Depending on lake / cell - an emergency radio
  • Coolers - I yanked the front seat cooler - our lake melted the ice too fast, plus you still had to carry the ice. Found two 28qt coolers are easier to carry, store, and move - plus extra seats - and ice stayed cold all day.
  • Small Fischer Gear box / collapsable pole - kids love it.
  • Large plastic cup to use as bucket to splash water across floor when dirty / needs a quick rinse - like after pulling up anchor (mine is actually in a cup holder with strap).
  • Keep instructions, especially if you have SIMRAD, in large plastic ziplock and then box.
  • Yeti Sidekick - and heavy duty velcro strips - great small safe place to keep misc (wallet, keys, cash, chapstick, phone cords, etc).
  • Pop up trash container
  • Portable toilet - foldup has worked well for us, easier to store, with the disposable bags and new tech "cat litter" kits. 3x in 3 years, but those 3 times were big saves....LOL.
  • I strive for environmentally safer sunscreen and look for off season deals or bulk sales (NO spray or tanning lotion as noted).
WATCH video on YouTube: on boat cover - best secret ever!
SemperfI8387 -

Quick Clip Cover, Rolling And Stowing, Unrolling To Cover​

Enjoy!

Last edited:
My quick list..... (and I do have a 26 SB, so a bit more storage)
  • Require everyone to bring smiles.
  • Cleaning - Fantastic 409 has worked best for us, and recommended by Simtex. Bunch of White towels. Plus a spray cleaner/wax/ceramic to wipe down boat - love Hot Sauce, does great on water spots.
  • Anchor - Box Anchor holds my 26' on our windy lake. Also get a canvas wood tote to store it in, much easier to handle.
  • Tube for kids - Big Mable 3 seater (sit or charriot in one)
  • Air Filler - Outdoormastershap Shark - has a PSI stop point - slight overkill for just a tube, but also works for blow up SUP.
  • Bouy Ball, 30' nylon rope & Stainless Clip - toss of the back for kids/adjults to grab when needed, really helps with current.
  • Plastic Box with top that lactches - we use to hold towels and Suncreen and toss in shoes, easy to carry back and forth.
  • Neoprene Life Vests - use them as floats (step in like a diaper) - now you need no/less tubes or floats
  • Bunch of cheap poloarized sunglasses with float holders
  • Large Brim Hats with chin strap
  • Contigo 20oz Autoseal cups - different colors on sale at different times - but just buy on sale and use colored electrical tape to make each unique. Saves on spills, keeps your drinks cold, and let go in water and not worry about.
  • Towels - get the large cotton turkish towels - 1/3 of the space vs a normal towel and can bring a bunch, they dry fast, use all over the boat. I hate the fringe strings, but otherwise are amazing - so much better / easier to deal with than the huge / thick towels. I then also got a large microfiber towel fo the SwingBack Lounger.
  • PTM Mirror - love - I got the helm mount and don't have to worry about the cover.
  • Extra Extra Large non-scratch pads to wipe bottom algea growth off tunes while in water (2 to 4x per month - takes 15 minutes with family helping).
  • Small broom - helps when on/off shore a lot.
  • Extra long USB charge cables - often have to put phone into cooler due to sun.
  • Prop: I carry an extra, plus an extra hub, and knife to cut off fishing line - and tools to change.
  • Fuel Treatment - I put in when the benny is not being used that month or winter storage.
  • Small tool box - basics, zip ties, ducktape, rubber mallot (helps with bimini), bar of soap for zippers
  • First Aid - basic stuff plus I keep two Quitclot kits (major cut), Tourniquet, and neck brace (we are bit crazy).
  • Depending on lake / cell - an emergency radio
  • Coolers - I yanked the front seat cooler - our lake melted the ice too fast, plus you still had to carry the ice. Found two 28qt coolers are easier to carry, store, and move - plus extra seats - and ice stayed cold all day.
  • Small Fischer Gear box / collapsable pole - kids love it.
  • Large plastic cup to use as bucket to splash water across floor when dirty / needs a quick rinse - like after pulling up anchor (mine is actually in a cup holder with strap).
  • Keep instructions, especially if you have SIMRAD, in large plastic ziplock and then box.
  • Yeti Sidekick - and heavy duty velcro strips - great small safe place to keep misc (wallet, keys, cash, chapstick, phone cords, etc).
  • Pop up trash container
  • Portable toilet - foldup has worked well for us, easier to store, with the disposable bags and new tech "cat litter" kits. 3x in 3 years, but those 3 times were big saves....LOL.
  • I strive for environmentally safer sunscreen and look for off season deals or bulk sales (NO spray or tanning lotion as noted).
WATCH BigKahuna's video on YouTube on boat cover - on and off - best secret ever! Search his posts.

Enjoy!
Tried but can't seem to find BigKahuna on Youtube.

That is a sharp looking boat!! We always keep a couple of flotation pillows already tied to rope. You never know about undercurrent, we boat on the ocean, or if someone is tired and starts to cramp up. Also phones and chargers or radios in case you need some help. Or if you run out of gas and didn’t bring any extra with you….clearing throat. Also practice docking and make sure someone else can drive the boat in case something happens to you. Cheers! ( pass the red wine and Cheetos please);

Last edited:
Back