New to Boating...2023 24LXSB

We never boat at night, so I don’t use the lights. However, jcr159, I just learned something. I didn’t realize the anchor lights were directional.

I always learn new little tidbits on this forum.
My three cents:
A lot of great advise so far!
Great boat and congrats, welcome to the boating lifestyle!

Please try to boat in the evenings and into the night when you are comfortable! It adds an amazing and worthwhile experience.

After 50 years of boating in many conditions, many countries and many bodies of water, do everything you are learning SLOWLY. Lack of experience seems to bring in the need for speed to "control" the boat I guess. Beaching, docking, launching, rafting up.....Slow you can correct, no matter how embarrassing it may seem, but fast and damage is dangerous and more embarrassing....

Enjoy the Carolina boating!

We never boat at night, so I don’t use the lights. However, jcr159, I just learned something. I didn’t realize the anchor lights were directional.

I always learn new little tidbits on this forum.

Thanks.

I used to use regular gas cans with a rattle siphon. it worked well, but the VP jugs with the fill tube works a lot better. I usually use 10-15 gallons each outing, so try to take a couple cans each time we go. I'm never full, never empty, and can fuel up on the lake with the expensive stuff if i'm in a pinch. though holiday weekends around me, they run out of fuel by monday on memorial day and labor day...

There are some powered options that are good, but heavier to manage. I can still manage the cans on my own, and you can get around 6 gallons in each
@jcr159 , I will have to fill our boat from the dock, as no marina is on our small lake. Is the picture below the VP Jug w/fill tube that you use?

1709728337784.png

@jcr159 , I will have to fill our boat from the dock, as no marina is on our small lake. Is the picture below the VP Jug w/fill tube that you use?

View attachment 35354

That is NOT the jug i use... that one lists "gas" on the label... therefore must comply with the federal regulations to annoy the crap out of me and offer an auto sealing design where you need to take an action to allow the fuel to flow...

I started with cans like this and a "jiggler" or auto-siphon as Jack mentioned, and while it works great, i found with the VP cans I use, I don't need it. I have a side fill, and everyone's situation might be different. Especially if your fill is on the opposite side from the dock! ;)

This is what I have: Not sure if i'm allowed to post a direct link, but their official sales site is now plasticproductformers... I got the red, but that filler tube is enough that i can fill from the side without messing with the siphon and lifting the can quite so much... and they hold close to 6 gallons if you can muscle it... or put 4 in and ensure it doesn't spill... Once you use one of these cans, you'll wish all other gas cans a firey death on their way to the center of the sun... could be just me, but i had no idea how annoying regular gas cans were until i got these...

1709731778068.png

Yes you can use it with a side fill . My 1st 2 Bennington's did not offer a direct fill option . It works just as well ,we put towels on a seat back a set the gas can on the seat back .
So if I have a side fill, I should use the option you pictured above? thanks so much

@jcr159 , so I think I will wait to purchase a gas can till I purchase the boat so that I can determine my needs at that point in time
Watch for them on sale you will probably want more than 1 . I have 4 and use them for Non Ethanol gas only .

After a season of muscling gas cans, I purchased a Gorilla garden cart and a battery powered pump. The cart can carry three six gallon containers at a time (I have six) so I make two trips. While not as fast as a gas station pump, the battery pump works fine. Eventually when the pump gives out, I’ll probably invest in a super siphon.

I started with cans like this and a "jiggler" or auto-siphon as Jack mentioned, and while it works great, i found with the VP cans I use, I don't need it. I have a side fill, and everyone's situation might be different. Especially if your fill is on the opposite side from the dock! ;)

This is what I have: Not sure if i'm allowed to post a direct link, but their official sales site is now plasticproductformers... I got the red, but that filler tube is enough that i can fill from the side without messing with the siphon and lifting the can quite so much... and they hold close to 6 gallons if you can muscle it... or put 4 in and ensure it doesn't spill...
Like @Jack M I have these, more than a dozen between shop needs and house and have used for 10+ years. My personal complaint is if you do go much over 4 gallons then the gas easily comes out of the breather cap when dumping fuel. We typically fill to about 6 gallons, then remove spout and funnel fill for speed when using. But this can also be a two person job without the right fuel for the vehicle being filled. I agree the price posted is very high, you can find them for near $30 a can with some shopping over a few weeks. I too would get a siphon solution if I start using these on the Benny

Like @Jack M I have these, more than a dozen between shop needs and house and have used for 10+ years. My personal complaint is if you do go much over 4 gallons then the gas easily comes out of the breather cap when dumping fuel. We typically fill to about 6 gallons, then remove spout and funnel fill for speed when using. But this can also be a two person job without the right fuel for the vehicle being filled. I agree the price posted is very high, you can find them for near $30 a can with some shopping over a few weeks. I too would get a siphon solution if I start using these on the Benny
Not so many years ago , you could get a gas can for 5 bucks , the 4 I use now for no ethanol were less than $15 about 10 years ago . I bought 1 last fall for ethanol gas and it was $25 .

My quick list..... (and I do have a 26 SB, so a bit more storage)
  • Require everyone to bring smiles.
  • Cleaning - Fantastic 409 has worked best for us, and recommended by Simtex. Bunch of White towels. Plus a spray cleaner/wax/ceramic to wipe down boat - love Hot Sauce, does great on water spots.
  • Anchor - Box Anchor holds my 26' on our windy lake. Also get a canvas wood tote to store it in, much easier to handle.
  • Tube for kids - Big Mable 3 seater (sit or charriot in one)
  • Air Filler - Outdoormastershap Shark - has a PSI stop point - slight overkill for just a tube, but also works for blow up SUP.
  • Bouy Ball, 30' nylon rope & Stainless Clip - toss of the back for kids/adjults to grab when needed, really helps with current.
  • Plastic Box with top that lactches - we use to hold towels and Suncreen and toss in shoes, easy to carry back and forth.
  • Neoprene Life Vests - use them as floats (step in like a diaper) - now you need no/less tubes or floats
  • Bunch of cheap poloarized sunglasses with float holders
  • Large Brim Hats with chin strap
  • Contigo 20oz Autoseal cups - different colors on sale at different times - but just buy on sale and use colored electrical tape to make each unique. Saves on spills, keeps your drinks cold, and let go in water and not worry about.
  • Towels - get the large cotton turkish towels - 1/3 of the space vs a normal towel and can bring a bunch, they dry fast, use all over the boat. I hate the fringe strings, but otherwise are amazing - so much better / easier to deal with than the huge / thick towels. I then also got a large microfiber towel fo the SwingBack Lounger.
  • PTM Mirror - love - I got the helm mount and don't have to worry about the cover.
  • Extra Extra Large non-scratch pads to wipe bottom algea growth off tunes while in water (2 to 4x per month - takes 15 minutes with family helping).
  • Small broom - helps when on/off shore a lot.
  • Extra long USB charge cables - often have to put phone into cooler due to sun.
  • Prop: I carry an extra, plus an extra hub, and knife to cut off fishing line - and tools to change.
  • Fuel Treatment - I put in when the benny is not being used that month or winter storage.
  • Small tool box - basics, zip ties, ducktape, rubber mallot (helps with bimini), bar of soap for zippers
  • First Aid - basic stuff plus I keep two Quitclot kits (major cut), Tourniquet, and neck brace (we are bit crazy).
  • Depending on lake / cell - an emergency radio
  • Coolers - I yanked the front seat cooler - our lake melted the ice too fast, plus you still had to carry the ice. Found two 28qt coolers are easier to carry, store, and move - plus extra seats - and ice stayed cold all day.
  • Small Fischer Gear box / collapsable pole - kids love it.
  • Large plastic cup to use as bucket to splash water across floor when dirty / needs a quick rinse - like after pulling up anchor (mine is actually in a cup holder with strap).
  • Keep instructions, especially if you have SIMRAD, in large plastic ziplock and then box.
  • Yeti Sidekick - and heavy duty velcro strips - great small safe place to keep misc (wallet, keys, cash, chapstick, phone cords, etc).
  • Pop up trash container
  • Portable toilet - foldup has worked well for us, easier to store, with the disposable bags and new tech "cat litter" kits. 3x in 3 years, but those 3 times were big saves....LOL.
  • I strive for environmentally safer sunscreen and look for off season deals or bulk sales (NO spray or tanning lotion as noted).
WATCH video on YouTube: on boat cover - best secret ever!
SemperfI8387 -

Quick Clip Cover, Rolling And Stowing, Unrolling To Cover​

Enjoy!
Goodness gracious! Thank you for putting the thought in to making this. Looking over now!

Back