Non boat help needed

lakeliving

Reaction score
Hoping someone on here with some mechanical ability knows what would be causing this ticking/ knock noise. My father in law is looking at buying a 61 Buick and this noise is holding him up. I pulled on the crank pulley and didn't feel any play. It fires right up. Valves/rocker? Sounds to be coming from the passenger side. I think it is a 364 v8 . Don't even know where to begin looking online

Thanks! 

Sounds like a fan blade hitting the shroud. Did you try the screwdriver on the head cover and put your ear on the handle to pin point which lifter lifter is ticking?

I didn't have my tools with me. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side, but then it sounds like it is coming from under the carb. That is why I'm puzzled. Trying to figure if this is a hundred dollar issue or thousands. This is one of those weird nail head motors. 

Put 1 quart of sharkhide in the gas, 1/2 quart in the oil, 3/8 quart in the radiator and dump the rest on the left rear tire. I think that might help.

It sounds like a bad wristpin on one of the pistons or rod knock. I think it's more than $100.00.

Thanks Carl. I meant hundreds vs thousands! 

My father in law drove it and it had power, ran good. It just makes some noise. Idles good. That is why I was thinking it was a valve train issue. Curious to hear what others think as well. 

Does the rap stay there when you rev it up or when you're driving it?

Sure it's not an exuast leak?  Just a suggestion.

Was it always there or did it dissipate after driving it?

Has the car been sitting quite a while?

Sounds like a hyd lifter tick to me.  My old jeep CJ made about that same sound after sitting 2 years.  Poured in a little marvel oil (tranny fluid will work too) and let it idle for 10-15 minutes let cool then repeat.  After the 3rd or 4th time of the heat cycling the ticking noise went away.  Change out the oil and filter and you are good to go.  Not saying that method will work for you but worked for me and the lifter noise was worse than what you are hearing on the 61 buick.

It has been sitting for a while. It is a car my father in law is looking to buy.

he is going to pass. 

Thanks guys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounded like manifold donut gasket to me .....

Back