not happy

copperline

Reaction score
Boat came in 3-27-13, we opened her up and man were we happy. We were told that our yamaha 150 would be in a week behind the boat. Then dealer said 8 days ago that it would be in, in 7-10 days and ready for us in two weeks tops 4-20-13. Just got off the phone with the dealer and he said maybe bennington will have it here 5-1-13. Why would bennington ship a new boat without a motor? I have had 4 boats in my life, first time with ordering one new, so far I'm not impress. Sorry had to vent.

Your dealer doesn't have another engine in the whole dealer ship to accomidate you?

I was told the yamaha has a back order on there 150, really don't know how true that is when I see all the people on this site with 150 on there new boats.

I could be wrong, and I probably am, but doesn't the dealer just get the engine through Yamaha's distribution network anyway? I thought the transaction with Bennington is just on paper for the volume agreement and pricing, not that it physically goes through Elkhart and gets shipped with the boat. My Mercury didn't come from them, at least.

Pretty sure your right Tom, just done for pricing. Keep in mind they could be a little behind in 150's, tis the season, not to mention we all kept talking people up from the 115!! I know that doesn't make it any better. I had to wait for my motor as well, luckily, I was waiting even longer for the trailer so the motor didn't matter.

Bennington is the largest fleet purchaser of Yamaha outboards. They buy engines in bulk at prices much cheaper than your dealer can get them direct from Yamaha. And the engines physically are delivered in Northern Indiana to Bennington.

The boat business is cyclical. Most boats and engines are sold from March to August. The bulk engine program is a way for Yamaha (or other manufacturers) to build engines every month of the year.

Unfortunately some motors are more popular than others. When so many March sales are booked, sometimes the engine deliveries are not as smooth as possible. Mercury's having the same problems supplying their new 150 hp FourStroke, and they may be slower in their deliveries than Yamaha.

Sometimes there's just nothing that can be done about it. I know you're disappointed, however hopefully you'll still be up and running by the time the water's warm in Connecticut.

The thing is that I was told 3 different times so far, and when the dealer wanted my old pontoon I not only got it to him, but was told by him that it was one clean boat and he had it sold in 3hrs after I dropped it off.( he had to do nothing to it because I take care of my stuff) so now I have no old boat, a new boat without an engine, and a boat loan.

Not to be a smart *ss but why would you have a loan already, I def. would not have my loan finalized till the Dealer fulfilled the boat as agreed upon. You might want to contact team TB through private message and see what they can find out for you.

We got our loan through our bank, based on the dealer time frame, saying boat would be ready for delivery.

We got our loan through our bank, based on the dealer time frame, saying boat would be ready for delivery.
Yeah, that sucks !!! Either pm TB here, or contact customer service tomorrow at Bennington. Hopefully they can get you straightened out. Trust me, I'd be upset too if I were you. Maybe what Noah Genda said, tell the dealer to upgrade you.

Yeah, the new Yamaha inline 4 cylinder f200 is the same weight as the f150, the same family. It's worth a shot for an upgrade. It would be a killer motor on that boat.

Copperline,

Very strange, that's same story I got last year when our 2012 Bennington 22 SSI came in without the New Mercury 150 four stroke. We were told 1 week because of high demand for the 150 Mercury. It was almost 3 weeks before the motor came in. I guess it could be the time of year when the demand for new boats & motors is high!

RiverBill

Surprises me that the bank would do the loan without the serial for the motor at that's a big piece of any purchase. We feel your pain but like others said, it is sometimes out the dealerships hands.

Last year I bought an 2011 left over, it was march and in Ohio didn't care about the boat being in the water till Memorial Day.

Mine had a new 2011 verado. Another dealership client had been waiting months in the same scenario you have. I ok'd them to take my motor as he really didn't want to wait.

I got a 2012 in return for the patience.

Hope your luck is the same.

I do know my bank was not concerned with "motor" title, just boat and trailer ?? Go figure, I could have a $1500 trailer and $10K motor ???

Even though Bennington provided the boat at this point without a motor, I still feal it's the DEALERS responsibility to get this figured out.

THEY MADE A PROMISE THEY could not fulfill. Even though Bennington did not ship the motor, the DEALER should NOT have taken your boat first,

without being able to be 100% sure on the new one being correct.

As a manager, I NEVER promose anything to a customer that I can not control 100%, and with vendors, that means ZERO control........

The thing we don't know is, did Bennington actually let the dealer know, and the dealer is trying to cover his tail ......... just sayin ....... :(

Oh yeah, we have to make sure you really bought a Benni ....... PICS !!!!!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
All good point's, like you said the bank didn't care about the motor all the wanted was the serial number off the boat. I hope that the dealer, and bennington figure this out today. The dealer said it will be in before Memorial Day, but again been there heard that.

All good point's, like you said the bank didn't care about the motor all the wanted was the serial number off the boat. I hope that the dealer, and bennington figure this out today. The dealer said it will be in before Memorial Day, but again been there heard that.
At the very least, the DEALER should cover your payment till you GET THE BOAT AS PROMISED !!!!!

I mean really, they got THEIR money from your trade !!!!! :angry:

By the way, what did you get ????

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 2550 RBR, I put pics up back in march when it came in

At the very least, the DEALER should cover your payment till you GET THE BOAT AS PROMISED !!!!!

I mean really, they got THEIR money from your trade !!!!! :angry:

By the way, what did you get ????
Then again, chances of them doing that are slim, so all your going to do is get in an argument with the dealer which will create bad blood and anger. The bottom line is, I believe the dealer truly did believe the motor would be in by now, why wouldn't they. I'm sure they are just as surprised as you are that it isn't. I'm sure that each time you called, they called their Yamaha rep and he told them the same thing they told you. It would be a whole different story if the motor was there and they were slacking off on getting it mounted. I know it still sucks, but I guess it is what it is. I am surprised about the loan thing, I couldn't put my financing through until I had the serial #'s for all. Now they did say they could switch serial numbers within the first month or so.

Semper, quit being so lazy, it's in his signature! Haha

Wow, should have remembered that one, it's a BLUE R model ..... the best ones out there !!! (cause I have a Blue RLi) :D

Back