Old Age

Ecoman

Reaction score
My mind is wrighting checks my body can't cash. I took all my employees out today on the Benny. I did some wake boarding and tubing with them , now at the age of 51 I'm feeling it tonight and I'm sure tomorrow will be even worse . Am I the only one out there or are there more of you who still think you can hang with the 25 yr olds

at 42 with 2 back surgries and a dislocated shoulder I figured out that ya time to hang it up I drive the boat and float aroud in my life jacket!

I'll be 54 this month. Retired but still really active. I play racquetball about 4 times a week, (sometimes twice a day) skiied (once) played softball and golf this summer and our winter bowling league starts this Tuesday.............Yeah I can hang w/the 25 yr. olds (sometimes, Ha!) but what I notice at this age is that your body just doesn't recover as fast as when we were younger..............I'll be sore as "----------" the next day but ibuprofen does wonders!!!!!!!!!

yup ... getting "older" sucks, but we don't have to always act it. I'm 47 and still try to run a couple miles a night 2-3 days a week.

I can still run times close to when i was in the Corps. Matter of fact, most days I'm running past the young kids running the track.... :)

Left knee is starting to wear out though, so might have to start backing off a little.

Did a 42 mile rail trail on bike couple weeks ago and the knee did not like that at about mile 40. Thought i'd be calling the wife to come get me .... :blink:

I'll be 63 on the 25th of this month and after back and neck surgery I can't hang with them. But I try.Suzi and I walk every day and I do an exercise class 3 times a week and that helps, but I too drive the boat and float.

Age is a state of mind--at least until your body completely breaks down. All the previous postings (except Carl's) are from young men, and it sounds as if there are some negative thoughts about your getting just to "middle age."

Nobody believes my wife and I are 63 and 65 years old. It helps to surround yourself with younger people. It's also good to have young hobbies--like boating and snow skiing. My wife and I are travel freaks, keeping busy going on big trips twice yearly.

Just come back when you get in your 60's, and we can then talk about getting old gracefully.

At 52

This Summer had reconstructive shoulder surgery....

Knees x 7

Ruptured Achilles

Aortic aneurysm..

Need new hips

and a crap load more......I now drink and smoke cigars as recreation ( seams a lot safer)

You kids have got it made. I will be 70 this November. The dog and I walk over a mile everyday. But like you young guys I mostly drive the boat and float.(with a drink in my hand)

+1 on the cigars. That's my only flaw. B)

As the old saying goes. "If you are able to set up and take nourishment, it is a good day".
First thing my wife and I do every morning is look at the newspaper--in the obituaries.

As long as we don't see our names, it's going to be a good day.

And Bull, you must be damned old to have so many ailments. Maybe you've already got a lifetime of surgeries out of the way early.

Kathy and I both turn 60 shortly, going to Rio October 19 to celebrate having made it this far. Considering retiring in a few months and want to start walking together every day and join either Yoga or Pilates to help my back so we can still be active and travel for a long time to come

Link: I'm jealous that you're going to Rio on vacation--great experience. And you're correct that you'll be able to see so many places if you're able to retire so young. You're right to prepare yourself for being very active throughout your 60's, as it'll amplify better health into your elderly years.

My wife and I retired young and we try to stay active, as you never know how many days you'll have good health. We've been doing Canadian trips every other year and take at least one cheap cruise every year. We're getting ready to go on another New Orleans based cruise to Mexico in 3 weeks. We're planning another European trip in the Spring. Next up will be driving the length of New Zealand.

Bamaman.........We also do a lot of travelling..........about 2 years ago my wife and I took a cruise out of Sydney that included stops in New Zealand. Fantastic trip but my only complaint was that it took so long to get there. 5 hours to L.A., 2 hr. layover, 13 hrs. to Sydney. Plus they are 15 hrs. ahead. Talk about jet lag.........It took a week to get back on east coast time..........She wants to go to Bora Bora and Fiji.............an even longer trip!

Daril:

I was looking the other day on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ , which is the airline industry's big computer reservation system. To places like Bora Bora, they're looking at $2,500 airfare per person. I'd like to go there, but $689 to Hawaii is the best deal going right now to such a place. We can also get to Puerto Rico out of Atlanta cheap.

Trips to Ireland are just under $800. Otherwise, most European flights are $1,000 thru 3/28 where they go up to $1,200. Next Summer flights are $1,500.

It get's bad when there's no where you want to go on vacation that's affordable to fly to. But when you retire young to a lake house, every day's a vacation out the front door.

Yeah I don't think she realizes how much flights are to Bora Bora yet. I'll tell her. Ha! My daughter just spent $778 to go to Hawaii and we spent $900+ in August 2012. Funny how much it fluctuates....................Have you cruised the Mediterranean yet? One of our favorite cruises was a 12 day cruise from Rome to Venice via the Greek Isles on Princess. 11 stops in 12 days. Perfect itinerary and you spent a full day in each port. Would love to do that one again! Thanks for the link...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Every day IS a vacation out the front door. :D

Yeah I don't think she realizes how much flights are to Bora Bora yet. I'll tell her. Ha! My daughter just spent $778 to go to Hawaii and we spent $900+ in August 2012. Funny how much it fluctuates....................Have you cruised the Mediterranean yet? One of our favorite cruises was a 12 day cruise from Rome to Venice via the Greek Isles on Princess? 11 stops in 12 days. Perfect itinerary and you spent a full day in each port. Would love to do that one again! Thanks for the link...........
No, but we've cruised the deep Caribbean out of San Juan. My sister's going out of Venice on Oceana next month in one of the huge owner's suites. We did Italy last year on the ground--Venice, Florence, Chianti and Rome--my 5th trip to Italy. It'd be great to see by ship.

My wife and I are value travelers. We go only when the prices are reasonable, and only to interesting places. When I was working, I traveled extensively throughout the U.S. It's bad when you hit Pier 39 at San Francisco for lunch--and the place doesn't excite you. Or, when you take the wife to IKEA in Seattle, and you know exactly how to get there without maps.

We've done both an eastern and western 10 day cruises in the Mediterranean. They were both fabulous, a great way to see a lot of places we otherwise might not have flown to. We lingered in both Venice and Rome for several days, which was worth it. Istanbul, and day trips to Ephesus and Corinth were also especially interesting to our family.

Back