One more problem .NOT a Bennington issue

Jack M

Reaction score
During the last week of June I noticed a scratch on the port side pontoon .

Our dock finger is starboard .

The slip next to me( on the port side) was still not occupied for the season .

I thought perhaps I rubbed  the mooring post . I checked the post it is all wood with no protrusions .

Later the service rep from my dealer came out ,he said it looked like it was the same height as a "fin" on a pontoon and he thought it was hit by another pontoon for that kind of damage .

A few days after that ,the weather and the water warmed up ,time to go to the sand bar check out the scratch and wipe down the tubes .

I get out and the scratch is long and in some areas deep .

I start wiping the tubes ( port side )  and well below the water level  ( higher than a bunk would be ,I thought about the delivery process and I have pics from the delivery) I find a dent about 4 inches  wide an inch or so deep and about 3 ft long .

I have no clue.

So next step is call the insurance company .

They tell me ,it is my responsibility to pull the boat out for an inspection .

I call my dealer set up an appointment to have the boat pulled for the inspection .

A few days later the claims adjuster calls and says he is in my area can I meet him at the marina .

I did ,he saw the scratch and was able to lay on the stern deck and feel most of the dent .

He said OK we will be buying you a new pontoon ,you don't need to pull the boat out.I did have to explain the Shark Hide ,solid keels and performance foils to make sure it was include on the replacement .Last week he gave my  dealer a check for the new pontoon & labor ,pontoon is ordered and most likely re-installed when I take it in for winter storage .We still have no idea how the damage occurred

.Now my wife has more ammunition to move to a lake house .I have no argument against it . Its all in the timing now  

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's more than a "scratch"! 4 inches wide, an inch deep, and 3 feet long? Somebody hit it and took off.............Somebody could have pulled in next to you temporarily and hit you.........We do it all the time at our marina............we'll launch the boat and pull it over to the slips and pull in if we're waiting for somebody............

I noticed the scratch first a few days earlier .It is above the water line .It stops and starts about half the length of the tube.

The dent is below the water line about the same depth as the transducer .

Here is part of the scratch 

That sucks. Glad it is getting repaired. Any cameras that might have caught it on tape?

Only camera is at the gate for watching who is coming and going .

Not even sure of the time frame .

Slip next to me did not get occupied until July 1st 

I know a guy who knows a guy that might be able to help....uh....recover your deductible if you know what I'm sayin over here! (Read in a heavy NY accent)

I already told the dealer ,that if the insurance co doesn't want it  .I will take it .

He said in the past the insurance co wanted them .

Wow that's more than a "scratch"! 4 inches wide, an inch deep, and 3 feet long? Somebody hit it and took off.............Somebody could have pulled in next to you temporarily and hit you.........We do it all the time at our marina............we'll launch the boat and pull it over to the slips and pull in if we're waiting for somebody............
THIS ^^^^

Thats definitely a hit and run man.     Thats awesome that your insurance co. is taking care of it so smoothly!

Who is your insurance company? Sorry about the dent, but sounds like it will be handled.

Cheers, Steve

This is my first year with Progressive .

The company that I have been with for  the past 10 years since we moved, would not insure any thing over a 100 hp .

My agent also started selling Progressive this year .

I was very hesitant at first .

Now I am actually impressed with their process .

Curious now if my rates will go up since I am not listed as at fault .

I would check with the insurance co directly to see if they are going to want the toon for salvage. I worked for a insurance co and we never messed with salvage. They might be trying to pull one over on you and are going to keep it for themselves. Just saying.

When my first boat got backed into on my way to trade it in, they did want the old pontoon.

I would check with the insurance co directly to see if they are going to want the toon for salvage. I worked for a insurance co and we never messed with salvage. They might be trying to pull one over on you and are going to keep it for themselves. Just saying.
Dealer wants nothing to do with it . It isn't worth the time & effort for him to scrap it out .Closest scrap yard up here is 45 miles away .

A friend of mine can weld aluminum ,thinking about some grills or smokers .

Hit and run People are sick anymore and need old fashioned ass kickings. They could Leave a note that they hit you. Accidents happen. Here's my insurance and again sorry.

My engine shroud got hit last year. Over a thousand bucks out of my pocket. I know who hit me but they won't admit it.

I agree 100% I watched a guy "tap" someone's lower unit. He docked, grabbed a pen and paper and left a note. I saw him a few weeks later and commended him on his honesty. His response " it's what I expect others to do, I'm no exception". He went on to say the guy was greatful and there was no damage done.

I agree 100% I watched a guy "tap" someone's lower unit. He docked, grabbed a pen and paper and left a note. I saw him a few weeks later and commended him on his honesty. His response " it's what I expect others to do, I'm no exception". He went on to say the guy was greatful and there was no damage done.
There are good people out there, good to hear that you saw one. We got an ok to put up a couple hunting cameras in our private marina. To keep honest people honest.

I keep a broom in the dock pole next to our lift to sweep the pollen off the cover. Someone borrowed it, broke it, and stuck it back. You couldn't replace a dollar general broom and you have $$$ in your boat?

I like the " hunting cam " Now I have to find a place to hide one .If the moron see's it they would take that too 

I like the hunting cam idea.

Booby trap it to explode if removed w/o disarming.

That would fix their wagon!

Just move onto the boat Jack. That way if you hear a bang, you can bust out from under the cover and raise hell!

Back