Optimum propeller depth

LTCMontana

Reaction score
I have a 24 SSL with a 115 Honda 4 stoke. The engine is mounted in the second hole from the top. When I trim out the engine, it really doesn't change anything until the engine starts to come out of the water.

I was wondering if I place the engine at the top (lowering the motor in the water), if that would make any difference.

Thoughts

I find that trimming only make a difference when i get over 3/4 on the trim gauge, and pontoons don't really trim like speed boats.

The more important setting is where your anti-cavitation plate is when running and trimmed up, it should be close to the top of the water, 1-2" under.

My motor starts moving/trimming immediately at the "E" on the gauge (if it were a gas gauge) and the difference in trim can be felt at just a few mph. At higher running speeds, 1/4 on the trim gauge will ventilate the prop. I run it at 1/2 trim (at idle speed) when I'm in shallow water, such as when beaching. At 1/2 trim the prop is just barely under water and I also keep a close eye to be sure the motor keeps peeing. My prop is totally out of the water at 3/4 trim on the trim gauge.

I suppose every boat is different, and the reading on the trim gauge is simply "relative" to your own unique boat/setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back