Out-drive help

Screw it. I'm just going with my plan. No way I by that a little piece of soft plastic is going to do anything.....espeically since I'm going to drain the fluid again right away. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

God, the hilarious comments that are running through my head right now is horrible. I feel for you Keith, I would be freaking out if that happened to me. At least you were using the proper lube but next time hold onto your tube better. ;)

I would definitely spend the time and drop the lower unit housing, having been a heavy equipment diesel tech for the last 20 years I hope I have a bit of input here. Don't think that the only thing in the drive are gears, true they may grind up the hose but you have to remember that there are open roller bearings in there and if the small bits get in between the rollers and race and lock up even one roller you will have a bad day on the water when the bearing welds itself together and leaves you sitting. Plus if the gears did happen to grab the hose the right way it can be too thick to be run through the gear set and you could potentially break or bend a shaft or a gear set or strip out the splines ect.

It is a fairly easy task to drop a lower unit, as stated a few posts back I think by Semp, an hours worth of time will be well worth the potential cost of a failed bearing and total lower unit rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked my dealer today (yamaha dealer, not Bennington ) he said said just pull the "**** carrier " and get it out, he wouldn't run it. Unfortunately, I have a horrible memory about some things and don't remember exactly what he said. Sorry. But the point was he figured pulling apart will save you any possible damage, and more importantly, give you piece of mind. Because if you run it, you will spend the whole summer thinking "is today the day I get stranded?" .

Tell me why I need to pull the entire lower unit housing off???? Why can't I just pull the prop off and then the guts behind that? Because that's where that piece of tubing is.....in the very bottom.

That's what I think my Yamaha dealer was meaning.

Also, once i get this all taken care of I STILL need to find a pump to pump the lube out of the quart containers that has an end to screw into that drain plug hole. Anyone know where to get one at?

Tell me why I need to pull the entire lower unit housing off???? Why can't I just pull the prop off and then the guts behind that? Because that's where that piece of tubing is.....in the very bottom.
I think you need to get us a picture of what your out drive looks like, not too many people are running I/O units? We say this because that is how to get into an outboard lower unit.

If I'm correct, its 4-5 bolts, then drop the lower. I THINK theirs an o-ring or gasket that seals the lower to the intermediate unit. Now, if you look at the picture I posted, the prop shaft assembly looks way more complicated to remove. It still should be assembled as a "unit" but it just seems to look harder to mess with. People have lowers all over ebay, so they must be easy to drop. Now, the dealer might charge you an hour or two labor, but guess who pays if it does not go back together properly? They do (or should)

I'm not trying to be an ass, so don't take this the wrong way, but if you are having trouble figuring out how/where to get a "pump", do you really want to mess with a housing unit?

I wasn't planning on messing with the prop shaft guts myself. I would either take that to my local Bennington dealer or there is another guy here that does nothing but work on outboard motors that I spoke to yesterday and he's the one that suggested not dropping the entire lower unit and instead pulling the prop and guts behind that out. Was thinking about calling him back today if my local dealer tells me it's going to be weeks before they can get to it. I have successfully taken the lower until out of a 100HP Evinrude 4 years ago so even for me that's not a big deal. My local guys said not to bother taking the entire lower unit off because why would I do that when obviously that piece of plastic is in the very bottom.....take the prop and guts out and replace the shaft seal and o-ring while I have that out since it's a 2005 and that's the stuff that eventually starts leaking.

So I just called my local Bennington dealer......4-5 weeks before they could even get to it. And they say pulling the prop/guts out behind the prop is easier than dropping the lower unit housing.

Guess its a good time for maintainence on the prop shaft. Good luck, and hope it goes easy !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well no one in this area could work on this until after July 4th and I'm not about to wait that long. The last guy I called was a mobile marine mechanic. I called him Friday and told him my issue. I just called him back today and he stated that he consulted with several of his collegues including one from a nearby marina and every one of them (including this guy) said there is no way with as thin as that tubing is that it will be a problem. They all recommend I put new gear lube in it, run it in my driveway with the ear muffs/water hose for a while, drain it, put new back in and I'll be fine. That's what I'm doing because we're already mid-May and I'm not about to wait until after July 4th to use this boat. If I end up causing bigger problems I'll post back here and those of you who said I shouldn't do this can say 'I told ya so' but that's where I'm at. I cannot believe every marine mechanic in this area is backed up that much already.

Need some help here. Is this hole supposed to be here???? I put the new lube in last night and I swear I do not remember seeing this. I ran the outdrive in forward for a minute then in reverse for a minute and then forward again for another 30 seconds. No weird noises or anything like that. I take the earmuffs off of the water intake area and then I notice a bead of water coming out of this area. It's about 3-4 inches from the front of the outdrive and it's only on the port side as shown. I take a jeweler's screwdriver and it actually goes inside the housing. My gear lube dipstick shows full so I know it didn't pierce that. Honestly it looks like someone drilled a hole in it......the side of the housing is even scuffed a little pointing to the 7-8 o'clock area down from the hole for about 3 inches worth. Is this supposed to be there???? If not then I am going to suspect someone did this either last night or during the day today while I was at work because again....I just filled the gear lube up yesterday evening and I do not remember this being there.

gallery_300_298_270310.jpg

gallery_300_298_3341158.jpg

I believe that's the speedo pickup. On my Honda it's in about the same spot.

Or is it just a cavity drain? I just googled this and maybe that's what it is.

Ok yeah....I think I answered my own question. I think it's the drain for the propellor shaft cavity. If it wasnt there, water might get trapped during winter, which could could freeze and crack the outdrive. If someone knows this for certain though please chime in.

Back